Samsung Series 7 Chronos Screen Brightness Issue

DevynKo

Reaction score
Credits
Hello, so I've been having this issue with my Samsung Series 7 Chronos Laptop since I've purchased it brand new. The screen brightness is not adjustable, if I power the device on without the charger, it boots in with a very dim screen whith no way to brighten it up. If I power it on while charging it boots into full brightness, but still no way to adjust it. This problem also occurred in windows, and I was able to fix it by editing the registry with this.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{4d36e968-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0001] "FeatureTestControl" to "f008"

Is there any way to replicate this fix in linux? I'm running Pop Os currently, and yes it occurs in every distro.

Thanks for your help.

That did not work, I also tried following this, https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1485246

but doesnt seem to help either. When I edit the grub file and do update-grub it says

Code:
Sourcing file `/etc/default/grub'
/usr/sbin/grub-mkconfig: 9: /etc/default/grub: [GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=quiet splash acpi_osi=linux acpi_backlight=video]: not found

Are you unable to control the brightness of the display by the brightness controls on the keyboard.

Are you unable to control the brightness of the display by the brightness controls on the keyboard.

Also, this guy at the link I shared said this.

Code:
he value in /sys/class/backlight/acpi_video0/brightness was 50. I edited it to be 30, and my brightness suddenly changed!!

Fn+F2/F3 was still not working so I tred a tip I've read several other places by writing the 20-intel.conf file to /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/20-intel.conf
The contents of 20-intel.conf:

Section "Device"
Identifier "Intel Graphics"
Driver "i915"
Option "AccelMethod" "sna"
Option "Backlight" "acpi_video0"
BusID "PCI:0:2:0"
EndSection

My paths are like this

/sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/

/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/ (Its not showing a 20-intel.conf, I have files like, 10-amdpgu.conf and 10-radeon.conf and they are all trying to use amd drivers.)

Not sure if this is helpful.

Hi,

What are the files in /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/ ?

/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/ (Its not showing a 20-intel.conf, I have files like, 10-amdpgu.conf and 10-radeon.conf and they are all trying to use amd drivers.)

They are using AMD drivers since you have and AMD graphic card.
But nothing prevents you from adding an 20-intel.conf and putting the configuration you found in it.
You should give it a try.

Can you give us some info on your system, like
Code:
# lspci

Hi,

What are the files in /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/ ?

They are using AMD drivers since you have and AMD graphic card.
But nothing prevents you from adding an 20-intel.conf and putting the configuration you found in it.
You should give it a try.

Can you give us some info on your system, like
Code:
# lspci

Here is a screenshot of the files.

I have tried creating my own 20-intel.conf, it did not work.

lspci Output
Code:
devyn@pop-os:~$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor DRAM Controller (rev 09)
00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor PCI Express Root Port (rev 09)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)
00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C210 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI Host Controller (rev 04)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 04)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev c4)
00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port 4 (rev c4)
00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation HM76 Express Chipset LPC Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 7 Series Chipset Family 6-port SATA Controller [AHCI mode] (rev 04)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 7 Series/C216 Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 04)
01:00.0 Display controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Mars [Radeon HD 8670A/8670M/8750M]
02:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Centrino Advanced-N 6235 (rev 24)
03:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 06)

I have tried creating my own 20-intel.conf, it did not work.

In case you didn't know, you need the restart Xorg after that. You can reboot if you don't know how.

What is the ouput of the following commands ?
Code:
# cat /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/max_brightness
# cat /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness
# cat /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/actual_brightness

You can try to change your brightness through these /sys files.

Code:
# echo "1" > /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness
# echo "50" > /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness
# echo "100" > /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness

Last edited:
@DevynKo

After following Julien's instructions, and

you need the restart Xorg after that.

... you can do that in session for quicker results, with Ctrl-Alt-Esc - it will restart X immediately.

Wiz

In case you didn't know, you need the restart Xorg after that. You can reboot if you don't know how.
I did reboot and no luck.

What is the ouput of the following commands ?
Code:
# cat /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/max_brightness
# cat /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness
# cat /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/actual_brightness

You can try to change your brightness through these /sys files.

Code:
# echo "1" > /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness
# echo "50" > /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness
# echo "100" > /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness
These commands had no output.

I'm surprised that there is not output for "cat" commands.
Nothing special displayed when booting ?

Code:
# dmesg

OK so try to add this option to your kernel (via Grub for example) :
Code:
video.use_native_backlight=0

Proceed the same way as you did for the "acpi_backlight=video" option.

Members online