Samsung Notebook Pro 9- Dual boot- No sound coming from any linux distro (Realtek ALC298)

orkunlinux

I have recently bought Samsung Notebook Pro 9- NP930MBE and installed Ubuntu 19.10 (And later Elementary, Zorin, Mint) but there is no sound coming from the computer. I can see it detects sound card, microphone etc but at the end no sound coming. Everything works fine with Windows 10, there is no issue at all. I updated everything in Windows and set the volume high. Sound card is Realtek ALC298

- I removed pulseaudio and reinstall in Linux
- I reinstalled Alsa and set the volume

The only reason I bought this computer is to install and use Linux distros, but without sound there is no use.

Please advise.
Thanks

Condobloke

G'day orkunlinux, and Welcome to linux.org

from THIS PAGE comes some helpful tips......the first one regarding ALSA may be most helpful.

Read the page carefully. There is a high probability that your solution is there.

Apparently the absence of sound in a new Ubuntu install is quite common

wizardfromoz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
G'day from another Aussie @orkunlinux :)

As well as following Brian's link from above, maybe just tell us too if the sound works on headphones/headset?

Or Not.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

orkunlinux

from THIS PAGE comes some helpful tips......the first one regarding ALSA may be most helpful.

Read the page carefully. There is a high probability that your solution is there.

Thank you, I will try and let you know the outcome.

orkunlinux

I have just check the link and I noticed that I already tried everything written there with no outcome :(

jg2331

I can confirm, following all the standard alsamixer and pulseaudio tweaks has yet to work for a few people. It's a Realtek ALC298 if that helps.

Condobloke

Do you have an external speaker you can plug in ?

Condobloke

In either Ubuntu or Linux Mint....do you know if Pulse Audio Volume Control was installed ?

Click on menu and type in pavu

(my apologies if this has already been covered......note that this is different to Pulse Audio)

Members online