Salient os net connection

clanmaurice

Reaction score
Credits
Hi Guys, I wonder if I could impose for a little advice, please. I decided to give linux Salient os, a try out. It does really click all the boxes I was looking for. Unfortunitely, I just could not get it to connect to the Internet. I did try doing the usual with switching the router off etc. But that was no good. I wonder if I might need a command to get it to work. As a Newbie, I have not got a clue how to do that yet , as I am still learning. Any suggestions would be appreciatted.

All the best and thank you.

I'm not familiar with Salient OS. A quick bit of duckduckgo-fu shows that it is Arch based, with XFCE desktop.

I haven't used a normal Linux desktop for a long time, and haven't used Arch for even longer. But have you taken a look at the network manager icon in the system tray?
There should be an icon in there somewhere that should allow you to bring up your network settings.
If you have a wired connection - it should just connect automatically.
If you are using wifi - you will need to select your wifi network and enter your wifi password. As long as you enter the password correctly - it should connect you.

If it lists no networks - it could be that you are missing some wifi drivers for your PC - in which case, you'd need to use a wired connection to your router and then download some drivers for your wifi/network card, in order to get wifi working. A wired connection should always just work, out of the box.

See how you get on with that and get back to us.
If it turns out that you do need some additional drivers, we'll need to know what wifi card you have installed.

I'm not familiar with Salient OS. A quick bit of duckduckgo-fu shows that it is Arch based, with XFCE desktop.

I haven't used a normal Linux desktop for a long time, and haven't used Arch for even longer. But have you taken a look at the network manager icon in the system tray?
There should be an icon in there somewhere that should allow you to bring up your network settings.
If you are using wifi - you will need to select your wifi network and enter your wifi password. As long as you enter the password correctly - it should connect you.

If it lists no networks - it could be that you are missing some wifi drivers for your PC - in which case, you'd need to use a wired connection to your router and then download some drivers for your wifi/network card, in order to get wifi working. A wired connection should always just work, out of the box.

If it turns out that you do need some additional drivers, we'll need to know what wifi card you have installed.
Hi JasKinasis, as I am a bit new to Linux, I am looking for a decent distro and this one came up recently. I do have a wired connection. I will let you know how I got on. as it is an Arch Linux Didtry, I will try what Darry1966 suggested as well. Cheers.

Hi Guys, just to let you know, I managed to get it to access the net. Thank you for your help. It was appreciated. Please consider this problem solved. All the best

Hi Guys, just to let you know, I managed to get it to access the net. Thank you so much for your help. It was appreciated. Please consider this problem solved. All the best.

Coolbeans. Can I ask what fixed the problem - I am really stoked you found the answer?

It is a bit ironic really. I tried two other Distros to see if they had the same problem, which they did. So, I went back and made a partition. After it was formatted, it was unallocatted. I tried it on there and it went straight on. This was in a Duel boot as well. the lovely thing about this was, I can take it off and try another one until I like it. When I use it for some time I will probally go ahead and put it on the main drive. Hope that helped. Thanks again for your help.

Members online

Latest posts