Running Yosemite as a virtual machine on Linux

Y

Yesyesloud

Has anyone had any luck with it?

As Netflix restricted 1080p streaming - Safari on Yosemite being among the chosen ones - I decided it was time I loaded the fricking mac OS on a VM instead of having to boot into Windows to get the "high quality" service I'm paying for.

Prior to such decision, I even tried masking Chromium and Chrome's user agent as "Safari on Yosemite" and a few other combinations (using the right strings, of course). No results so far. Netflix is really enforcing its thing.

So Yosemite it is. At least until Netflix has the decency to unleash 1080p streams for all supported browsers and operating systems.

Now, the problem is... I couldn't manage to run Yosemite on Linux yet.

I tried to load many OS images on at least 4 different virtualization applications, spending almost the whole weekend on this task. System freezes right after boot when it spots the apple. Maybe my hardware was not happy with it.

Any advice as to running Yosemite as a guest OS on a Linux host (arch more precisely) is deeply appreciated.

Here's an image (compatible with amd and intel) if you're interested in trying it yourself.

It's free so no worries.
____

Edit: F*** Yosemite. I'll get to run my native Windows partition as a VM for now... Ah, the wondrous world of Linux. I wish I had been to that section of Arch's QEMU wiki before.

Last edited:

I have tried to run OS X in Virtualbox a lot, the best attempt was able to install but not run afterwards.

I was only able to get that far with OS X distributions...

Wow, 5 gigs!

Hmm, I am not sure how much free it is, Apple restricts running OS X on non-Apple hardware, as you all know.
There is PureDarwin which is probably something closely related to OS X. It has MacPorts and a working Xfce desktop.
Anyway, I just wanna enjoy netflix at 1080p without logging off from Linux. I couldn't care less about running OS X or anything by apple. I found that iso image on google.

A lot of people can cold-boot it and run the OS. But running it as a virtual machine is a pain and that's the only way I would ever use it (which's impossible from my experience).

Last edited:
As far as I understand from what I've read, Netflix is something like that you pay for and receive films right into your box.

Why not to use torrents then?

Versatility... It's click and play. And older content tends to have few torrent peers, this is a major point to me.

Members online

Latest posts