Running Explorer 11 from Ubuntu - is this possible?

njkwsbhejk213b

Reaction score
Credits
Hi all.

So, I am pretty new to this.

One thing holding me back at work from using Ubuntu and it's the legacy Explorer 11 browser. Some of the providers I use still require it (unbelievable that this is still the case).

I was wondering - i know that Wine can be used to run some games on Linux. So is there a way to run Explorer 11 on Ubuntu in any way?

Thanks!

Wine sometimes works well, and sometimes not. The only way to know if this will work for you is to try it on your computer, and your Linux distro. Each of us might have different results that could falsely encourage or discourage you.

Someone reported recently testing Internet Explorer 11 on Wine version 5.0.2 using Ubuntu 16.04 (report is here), and they gave it a "Bronze" rating. I'm not sure what that means, but it's clear that it is not perfect.

In any case, support for IE 11 is either ending soon, or has ended already. See here and here. This second link says support ended.... TODAY. :eek:

If you haven't installed Wine before, you have to carefully follow their instructions for Ubuntu here. A lot of people fail to do this properly. Note that FAudio must be installed first. Add the proper repository for your Ubuntu version. I would recommend the Stable branch. You can install Wine from Synaptic or Ubuntu Software more easily, but it will be an older version. That may affect your success with IE. The current stable version is 5.0.3.

If you don't already have the IE 11 installation file, you can get it direct from Microsoft here.

Good luck!

Hi all.

So, I am pretty new to this.

One thing holding me back at work from using Ubuntu and it's the legacy Explorer 11 browser. Some of the providers I use still require it (unbelievable that this is still the case).

I was wondering - i know that Wine can be used to run some games on Linux. So is there a way to run Explorer 11 on Ubuntu in any way?

Thanks!

What do you mean by providers requiring Internet Explorer 11??
What providers are you talking about?
Internet providers? Or some other service?

I’ve been using Linux for donkeys years and have had no problems getting online, or using the internet and have never been required to use IE - regardless of the internet provider, or anything else I’ve been doing.

Just use a native Linux browser like Firefox, or chrome. Forget Internet Exploiter!

I don't even use Explorer on my employer's Windows machine :rolleyes:

Beginning November 30, 2020, the Microsoft Teams web app will no longer support IE 11.

On a somewhat related note: Microsoft is discontinuing Explorer, it won't be in the next version of Windows. They are trying to get Windows 10 users to move to Edge. There is a Linux (beta) version of Edge.

On a somewhat related note: Microsoft is discontinuing Explorer, it won't be in the next version of Windows. They are trying to get Windows 10 users to move to Edge. There is a Linux (beta) version of Edge.

I use the new Chromium Edge browser in Windows 10 and it ain't bad and it runs faster than any other browser I've used and the only complaint I have is Edge browser is way to busy.

I haven't tried the Chromium Edge browser for Linux and doubt I ever will however for Windows 10 Chromium Edge browser is OK.

OK everyone I admit to using Windows 10 and have no complaints nor do I feel dirty as some Linux users say they do after using Windows 10 so go ahead and start the rock tossing. :p:D

Run whatever browser you want to run. And in terms of MS Teams, I run that inside Chrome everyday. The work I do with my fellow COVID-disbursed work group uses Teams for collaboration much more often than Zoom, or any other tool set.

Iron is another reliable browser should work with anything on any website.

What do you mean by providers requiring Internet Explorer 11??
What providers are you talking about?
Internet providers? Or some other service?

I’ve been using Linux for donkeys years and have had no problems getting online, or using the internet and have never been required to use IE - regardless of the internet provider, or anything else I’ve been doing.

Just use a native Linux browser like Firefox, or chrome. Forget Internet Exploiter!

Maybe "providers" doesn't mean an internet provider.
Seatgeek, the large ticket sales operation, for example has a backend that runs an activeX plugin that only works on internet explorer. Now you can try not using that, but then you can't interact with the software and it doesn't work.
There are probably countless pieces of crap software that still do that. (that's why I'm trying to find out if I can run an instance of ie11 on linux, I just made the switch -again)

Isn't it easier to use a Win7 install on a VM? I know it's technically illegal to crack it, but since it ain't supported, AFAIK, you can't activate a legit copy. Anyway, I'm entitled to the OEM version that shipped with my old laptop. I have zero shame in using it in a VM when I need to do a USB passthrough for my mouse since the config app only has a Windows version.
So, Win7 VM + IE11 = problem solved. IMO at least.

Oops, only saw it in "recent" coz someone replied yesterday. Gotta check dates.

Members online