Running a desktop only with remote desktop connection

U

UbioZur

Hi all,

I hope this is the best place to post (It is desktop related), feel free to move the thread to a better forum if needed.

I have a low end VPS I use to host small server when I want to play with friend. I am re-configuring it to allow me to have several purpose (and also use it more often).

I would like to keep the VPS without any running desktop to keep the resources for the game servers when needed. But I would also like to be able to connect to it with a remote desktop (VNC or other) and access a light weight desktop (I am thinking of playing with dwm).

My computing skills are ok, I can code a bit but it's been a while, and never done it in linux.
My linux skills are quite low (just need a detailled-ish explanation).
VNC skills, only simple connection between two windows computer.

The desktop would be mainly to mess around with linux, access website that are country lock when I travel.
Running software that I need to access where ever I am (Any of my computer or other).

Any idea would be welcome.

I run the VPS on Debian 7 x86 (Minimal). (I can change it to CentOS 6)

Thanks in advance.

If You are looking for light weight then there are LXDE spin for every distro what really matters right here is what you going to like and what you are going to do with it if it is mostly for media then there are options too.
I have personally tried those two.
If you are looking to Migrate to CentOs You shall be pretty happy with those two fedora spins

(Fedora spins)
1. fedora xfce/ --> google it
2. fedora lxde/ --> google it

Ubuntu's LXDE Spin
lubuntu --> google it
Seems like i can't post a link still quite new ;)

Both they really fast in terms of resource usage they are pretty good though they are meant for old hardware and less resource hungry spin offs ..
I believe there would be more options out there..
hope it helps.

Well, if you need a GUI, you may try Amit_*nix suggestions + a VNC. For those that needs a Torrent, Printer, Scanner, media, or file file servers may try Ubuntu Server + MC (Midnight Commander for easiness) + OpenSSH and remotely access it trough SSH tunnel. Works pretty well.

Last edited:
Printer, scanner, media and also BitTorrent client(transmission) can be installed but need some work to do thats' all. ;)

Members online