Rt2870 Driver problems

R

RedRyder

I am having a problem with getting my Asus usbac-51 wifi adapter to work. I have tried different ways to download and compile the driver but nothing I have tried seems to work. If anyone has a simple step by step I would greatly appreciate it. It uses the ralink rt2870 chip.

Need more info bub.
What distro are you using? Do you have the proper developmental packages installed for compiling a new kernel module? Was there *any* online guide that you have tried that you can show us?
What are these *different* ways you've tried? Because I know from experience that practicing santeria sure as hell don't do a lot to fix these things.
Now where's my mojo poppet!

I am running Linux mint 17.3 cinnamon. I believe I have installed all the packages I need, but I may not. I have been to several sites that are supposed to explain the steps for compiling the driver for rt2870 chip. I however, get stumped somewhere in the lessons. I have downloaded several driver packages that I was told to use but they all seem to come up with errors in the make step. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

OK, without much to go on, it sounds like you just don't have the stuff needed to compile a kernel module. Maybe you need to install the kernel-headers and build-essential packages.
This should do the trick for that.
Code:
apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r)

Hey, looking here, this seems to be right up your alley:
https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=191243

I did the apt-get command earlier so it should be in my system. I will attempt to follow the process in the forum. Thanks, I will let you know if it works

I gave up trying to us the rt2870 and bought a new pci card from Think Penquin. Works great right out of the box.

Members online