RSS Readers: Follow online news without social media

MatsuShimizu

Reaction score
Credits
If you want to catch up with the latest tips, videos and news, using RSS feed reader is the best method. You don't need to use social media anymore. Below are some of the best RSS Readers from my experience.

Note: If you don't know what RSS readers are, they are programs to collect news and articles from different sources in one place. You will receive news from the reader every time your favorite portals or Youtube channels add new content. All in one place, so you don't need to check your social account for news. Please watch the Vivaldi RSS Feed Reader video below for a glance.

My favorite RSS Reader: Feedbro browser extension
feedbro-ff.png

Download links: Firefox version | Chrome Web Store | Homepage

Keep in mind that if you are using Feedbro extension, your browser/extension will connect to Youtube or whatever website that you are subscribing around 6 hours or so, each time you start that browser. So you will want to use a second browser for this purpose. You can also adjust this in the Feedbro settings.

If you need a second Firefox browser, you can install it from Mozilla here, Snap here or Flatpak here.

What I like about Feedbro:
  • I can pull the RSS Feed/Atom directly from my browser by just visiting that website.
  • I can add my favorite news into the browser bookmarks bar.
  • Lots of customizations and options to choose from.
How to use the Feedbro browser extension:
  1. Download and install the extension on your browser.
  2. Go to any website that you want to subscribe. For example itsfoss.com or restoreprivacy.com
  3. Click on the extension icon > Find feeds in the current tab.
  4. Check RSS/Atom. Click Subscribe.
How to subscribe to a Youtube channel:
  1. Go to the channel page. Click here for example.
  2. Click on the Feedbro extension icon > Find feeds in the current tab.
  3. Check RSS/Atom. Click Subscribe.
feedbroff-subscribe.png

Fluent Reader - demo video below

Installation:
Download the Appimage file here from Github | Snap version here | Flatpak version here

I used Fluent Reader a lot in the past after being reviewed by ITSFoss. After that, I migrated to Feedbro Browser Extension.

Vivaldi RSS Feed Reader

Installation:
Download Vivaldi browser here

For smartphone
If you are on Android, you can search for RSS readers on F-Droid.
This is an example: Nunti RSS Reader.

nuntirss.png

FreeTube App
This is not an RSS Reader, but it allows you to follow Youtube Channels without logging in. Most of you probably knew about this app already.
FreeTube.
Download here | Github page here

freetubeapp.png

FWIW, Thunderbird has an RSS client built into it.

I always have it open anyhow.

Newsboat:

macro m set browser "gobble mpv %u" ; open-in-browser ; set browser "elinks %u"
macro d set browser "yt-dlp %u" ; open-in-browser ; set browser "elinks %u"
macro b set browser "qutebrowser %u" ; open-in-browser ; set browser "elinks %u"
macro z set browser "jdownloader %u" ; open-in-browser ; set browser "elinks %u"
macro v set browser "vivaldi-stable %u" ; open-in-browser ; set browser "elinks %u"

- can also be configured to work with vi style keybinds.

I prefer QuiteRSS from Ubuntu repository. This app is simple, looks clean and does what it says. To install it, type in the terminal:
sudo apt update && sudo apt install quiterss
Also you can install it with Synaptic.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-06-10_11-17-46.png
    Screenshot_2022-06-10_11-17-46.png
    319.5 KB · Views: 219