Routing?

KenHorse

Reaction score
Credits
I'm running 2 different program on a Pi (running Debian Stretch). Both require network connections but I want to limit one to use only wlan0 and the other to only use eth0.

I know I need to do this in routing but how?

Configure two interfaces as shown here in the section "Debian / Ubuntu Linux Persistence Static Routing". Basically assign a different static ip address to both interfaces, one using the wlan0 interface and the other eth0. The other option is to register the mac addresses of eth0 and wlan0 in your router and have a different static ip assigned based on mac addresses, the latter one is probably the easier one. Not sure which applications you are using but you will then somehow have to configure each application to use one of the interfaces so that one application goes through eth0 and the the other through wlan0.

Last edited:
Followup question. How does the individual program know which interface to use?

It could be that you still may need some firewall rules, which two programs are you using that you want to configure this for?

It would have been useful if you provided links for both but I did a search for them, seems the software is used to run radio nodes as a service. I looked through the installation of Allstar, it seems like you should be able to configure it to bind on a specific ip adress and then after you have done that you have to create a firewall rule that all outgoing traffic from that ip adress should be routed through a specific interface. The same probably goes for IRLP, but why do you want both programs to use different network interfaces?

Sorry about not posting links...my bad
I need each program to connect only to 1 specific subnet.

IRLP to the internet (via wlan0 on 192.168.x.x)) and Allstar to a private network (via eth0 0n 10.150.x.x) that is a WAN but distinct from the internet

Members online

Latest posts