router settings

rooler

Reaction score
Credits
Hi folks,
its maybe a newbie here, and you have probably had this question many times.
I have 2 x computers running win 10 (one is the wifes) 64 bit, 8 gbyt ram and am thinking of giving Linux a try on one to see how I get on.
What I would like to know is if I install it on one of the computers will it change any router settings and therefor
stop internet connection for the other one and also mean the two computers would not be able to be on the internet at the same time.
I may not be able to answer straight away as I do jobs where I can get called out but I will get back to you.
Many thanks in advance,
rooler

G'day rooler and Welcome to Linux.org !!

I have a similar set up here.....three pc's in the room....all run from the same router/modem.....two on linux and one on Windows 10

It presents no problems at all, and changes no router settings either

When you are ready give us the specs for the PC you are hoping to run Linux on.

There are plenty of people here with sufficient knowledge to make it fairly easy for you.

Does that PC have any operating system on it at all now ?

Welcome rooler,
setup linux on a pc shouldn´t affect the other because your router/modem is the DHCP Server which lease an IP adress to your Client´s . Also routing wont affect. To give linux a try you can install virtual box on your windows pc and install some distributions to give it a try. So you can play with linux in an virtual enviroment.

Well g'day Scoobithepirate !!....thats quite a name !!...Welcome to Linux.org

Seeing rooler is a newcomer, we will probably give him a simpler experience by loading up a usb stick with a distro of his choice and booting from it....so can simply test drive the Linux Os itself....without having to learn about the virtual box set up as well

personally i like the virtual box environment....but rooler may not be experienced enough to jump straight into that just yet

Thanks everyone,
there are a lot of options for me to try.
First of all my question about the router settings, perfect, I just wanted not to mess anything up.
Second never thought about virtual box, and you are correct not enough experience.
Third I will dig around for a distro for a usb for a test drive,being brand new any suggestions please

Youre welcome.
I think some good to understand distro´s are Linux Mint or Ubuntu. But also give Open Suse and the others Distro´s a try. Im personaly like the KDE Plasma Window manager but I think you have to find the Distro you would like the most. here is an Tutorial to create an USB Live Stick with UEFI Boot. I hope it will help you

https://www.lifewire.com/create-uefi-bootable-linux-mint-usb-2202084

I had a similar set up before changing everything over and didn't have any problems with connection or speed - I suppose it is just like adding a printer or a smart tv to the net work or having a smart phone on it. Whatever your router is just go into the settings for it from a browser and it should show everything on it and you can test it from there. Check online if you are not sure what it's (your router's) ip address is. Oh and if you're looking to try go to Distrowatch which will give you a review and you can use the gallery on each to see what you like - doesn't cost anything to try live medium before installing and remember with some distros (like Mint) you can run them while still keeping windows until you're sure you want to switch over

Tell us a bit about the PC you are considering using for this, rooler .

Its specs and capabilities etc will be of utmost importance.

If its a laptop, give us a model number and brand.....if you know how many gb of ram it has etc etc, tell us that as well

As much info as you can.

I am using linux mint 18.3 The latest linux mint is Linux mint 19 (just released)

Why Linux Mint?......because it is simple and well supported.

But...tell us about the intended PC first don't jump ahead of yourself.

Hi @rooler, and welcome! As others have said, Linux will not give any trouble with your router or interfere with other computer's Internet connections. What will NOT work is something that not many people do anyway: Windows Home Networking (sharing files between your various home computers). If this is something that you do use, Windows and Linux can be set up to do this, but it is more complicated than the proprietary method that Microsoft uses within it's own family of operating systems.

Lots of folks here ready to help... good luck and enjoy Linux! :D

Cheers

Thanks all.
I have given mint a try as a tester and all seems well.No probs with the internet or speed and
I will continue practicing as I would like to get to know it better, but first impressions are good.
No doubt with all the help I have received I will soon be asking more questions, in the meantime
I will pass the info I have to others who have expressed an interest.
Cheers again
rooler

Good man, we've got ourselves a recruiter :)

Quite a number of us are in the 60+/- category, so you are in good company :p

Enjoy your Linux, and welcome.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Thanks all.
I have given mint a try as a tester and all seems well.No probs with the internet or speed and
I will continue practicing as I would like to get to know it better, but first impressions are good.
No doubt with all the help I have received I will soon be asking more questions, in the meantime
Cheers again
rooler
Just take your time with it and try not to think Windows or to listen to nonsense with about it - I learnt that lesson. also visit this site. It will help you to set things up and avoid mistakes with it : https://sites.google.com/site/easylinuxtipsproject/mint-cinnamon-first just enjoy it and remember if you get lost THIS is the place to come for advice and help and no question is "stupid" we all started not knowing things and were helped

Members online

Latest posts