Root user

James Feltt

Reaction score
Credits
I’m completely new to Linux and my questions will confirm that. How do you obtain root privileges and obtain a password?

G'day James, another youngun like me (I'm 61), we've had 70, 73, 68 and so on all in the last week, good to see :)

Are you using a Linux Distro (distribution) at the moment, and if so, which one?

For example - Linux Mint 19, Ubuntu 18.04 &c.

There are broadly speaking five (5) different Families in Linux, and there are some differences in how they require the setting of passwords for regular users and Root.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

G'day James, another youngun like me (I'm 61), we've had 70, 73, 68 and so on all in the last week, good to see :)

Are you using a Linux Distro (distribution) at the moment, and if so, which one?

For example - Linux Mint 19, Ubuntu 18.04 &c.

There are broadly speaking five (5) different Families in Linux, and there are some differences in how they require the setting of passwords for regular users and Root.

Cheers

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz
Thanks Chris. I was able to figure it out after an online search. I do appreciate your efforts. I’m using Kali (just for fun and learn more about penetration testing-I’m not a hacker). I will have many more issues and questions as I learn more about this.

Not sure you received my message. I was able to figure it out. I’m using Kali to learn more about penetration testing (not a hacker). Sincerely appreciate your efforts.

Welcome to linux.org @tchakatak :)

As @tchakatak has said, James, if you are in Kali you will by default be Root, and unless you choose to initiate another User, with or without Administrative privileges, that is all you need.

I would be remiss if I did not say to you that Kali is not the ideal Linux Distro to cut your teeth on with Linux, but you are also old enough for me to not have to tell you to come in out of the rain :D - your call.

Cheers

Wizard

Welcome to linux.org @tchakatak :)

As @tchakatak has said, James, if you are in Kali you will by default be Root, and unless you choose to initiate another User, with or without Administrative privileges, that is all you need.

I would be remiss if I did not say to you that Kali is not the ideal Linux Distro to cut your teeth on with Linux, but you are also old enough for me to not have to tell you to come in out of the rain :D - your call.

Cheers

Wizard

Definitely, if it's your first contact with Linux, a Debian like ( Ubuntu, Mint) might be way more appropriate.

Running Kali daily is really not a good idea, as this distribution was created to help pentester / digital forensics and really lack a lot of security features.

Appreciate all comments, Please note the following. I understand there is some risk and keep it on a separate network by itself. My copy didn’t have a root password. I searched the web and finally found how to create one. It was not at all intuitive. I also have Ubuntu to explore. I’ll end by saying that the reason l wanted a copy is because most security and forensic books that I have studied recommended it to gain a good understanding of penetration evaluations and forensics. Will only be “playing” with it and will not be using it for evil . That’s not who l am.

You know we are not here to juge, only to help.

About the fact it's not intuitive.. actually it is. Most users are just really used to nice and shiny windows, but after a while, you will see that it's really more powerful.

If you want to gain more knowledge, there is really good online databases for security, even some website who permit you to have challenges about security (like rootme).

You know we are not here to juge, only to help.

About the fact it's not intuitive.. actually it is. Most users are just really used to nice and shiny windows, but after a while, you will see that it's really more powerful.

If you want to gain more knowledge, there is really good online databases for security, even some website who permit you to have challenges about security (like rootme).

Thanks for the message. I guess anything is “intuitive “ If you no exactly what to do. I had to search the web to find out how to obtain a root password. No where in the installation process could I find that information. Now that I have it, no problem. My intention is not to get in a contest. I will just need some help getting started with Linux. I plan to explore the use of both Kali and Ubuntu. Would appreciate any help and open to constructive criticisms that anyone has to offer.

Members online

Latest posts