Rock Roxx

Fanboi

Reaction score
Credits
Dark Side of the Moon was a very creative album, mixed a lot of styles. Definitely had an inspirational effect on a lot on modern bands. Actually, I think Pink Floyd did that across their entire discography. There was so much style mixing.

My personal favourite piece of theirs is, more humbly, Comfortably Numb (so sue me). I dunno, the emotive guitar work aside, I feel it speaks to me empathetically. Maybe coz I suffer anxiety. Maybe coz I take enough valium to KO an elephant (for epilepsy, not my anxiety ironically).

Roger Waters is still active believe it or not. Stack that carreer against these 2-year-expiry stars today who built their carreers on ass-shaking and auto-tune, becoming actors post-expiry if they're lucky.

Fanboi

Reaction score
Credits
I still love the old music but it ain't the same no more seems to remind me how much time has past and how old I am.
Agree to a point, though I think a lot depends on the time. Modern "old music" (self-contradiction noted) makes me feel that way. Basically 2000s stuff. It's coz I sorta hit a cultural brick wall in the 2010s and couldn't didn't want to keep up any longer (I mean socially, not musically) coz every decade of "the world's gone crazy" was no match for what ensued and culminated at this point in time (can't list it because some items are social/cultural influences on media and it would violate forum rules, but you know, we all know). So when I think 2000s it's like "just yesterday"... "oh wait, 20 years ago". But the older stuff, like the 1990s and before doesn't feel like that. It's obviously because I was accepting of cultural change until more recent times.
I think that "only yesterday"... "wait, that was N decades back" affects us all.
Hey, nostalgia ain't what it used to be.
Obviously "classics" -- anything before my time that I listen to won't have that effect. So I think there's definitely a relativity point. I mean I still find it hard to reconcile in my head that the movie Back to the Future is ~40 years old.

OH well can't be young forever huh.
I thought we were talking Pink Floyd, not Bob Dylan (really subtle reference).

Condobloke

Reaction score
Credits

OP
wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
Let's get some Focus. There are a number of versions of this I could play, but I'll take the one from The Midnight Special first.

Here's Hocus Pocus, by Focus.

Avagudweegend

Condobloke

Reaction score
Credits

Brickwizard

Reaction score
Credits
the last few days, I have been going back to my youth

OP
wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
I put this one in this time every year, but hey, I have 8 of her albums so consider me a fan.

Carole King

Wiz

Brickwizard

Reaction score
Credits

OP
wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
I'm putting in this one
  1. Because I love Tears For Fears, but
  2. I think the video is extraordinary
Break The Man

Wiz

Condobloke

Reaction score
Credits

Condobloke

Reaction score
Credits
OP
wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
Darren Hayes and Daniel Jones were boys who grew up in Brisbane, on its south side, at Woodridge. Together, they formed Savage Garden. Elaine and I saw them in Brisbane on 23 September 2000 and it remains one of my top 10 favourite concerts.

Avagudweegend

OP
wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
This was a pretty one of theirs - Truly, Madly, Deeply.

It was one of Elaine's and my "our songs"

Take it away, Darren.

$100 Digital Ocean Credit
Get a free VM to test out Linux!

Linux.org Hosting Donations
Consider making a donation

Members online

Latest posts