Right click with MacBook?

M

Machin Shin

Hello everyone, I spent the weekend in an epic battle with my MacBook (I have the Mac for work reasons) making it dual boot OSX and Kali linux. I finally got it so it will boot right up without any problem and now actually seems to run very well and stable. The problem I am having is with the right click on the touchpad.

I have looked around the net and found some instructions on using keyboard keys to do so, and I also found the making two finger tapping to work as right click. These kind of work, but it is a pain to have to use a keyboard key and it is surprisingly unreliable trying to tap with two fingers. The thing about this that really has me puzzled though is that the touchpad can tell if you click with the right or left side. It does this in OSX and even more puzzling it will do it when booted to a live instance of linux from the Kali disk.

So my question is, How can I turn on the right click function on my touchpad? I know the hardware can support it, and do to it working when booted live from the CD I know that Kali Linux can support it. If anyone has any ideas or suggestions please let me know. Thanks ahead of time!

I will have to look when I get home and can give more details, but I'm pretty sure is using synaptics. I can to into system settings and there are some options for the touchpad. That is where I was able to turn on using two fingers for some functions. So I think it is probably just a setting in a config file somewhere.....

I just find it strange that running live off the CD it seems to do a really good job figuring out drivers, but when you install it to the hard drive the drivers get all turned around. I had same issue with having to manually find video drivers even though video worked fine running off CD.

I also use a Mac and I had to confugure the touch pad. The way I have mine setup is to use 2 finger tap to do a right click. It did take some getting used to but now I love it. Most of the finger gestures do take some time to get used to but they work out better in the long run.

Good luck

Yeah, I use finger gestures for some thing and do like them. I just find it often does not properly detect the two finger click and does a regular click instead. Not the end of the world, but there is that stubborn streak in me that wants to know why I can use the physical button. I know that it is possible, due to it working with live boot. So I just need to find out what is different from live boot and my install.

You say it works when running of the live CD. So boot that, and look at the xorg.conf file (and contents of xorg.conf.d), to see how the track pad is configured. You may also want to capture the Xorg.0.log, which will indicate how things were initialize.

Then go back to your installed system, and do the comparisons. That should get you a long way.

YES I MADE THIS ACCOUNT JUST FOR YOU! <3
The answer to your prayers is:
Code:
synclient tapbutton1=1
# This enables tap to click on the first (left) button
Code:
synclient tapbutton2=3
# This enables right click via a two-finger-tap

Hope this made your day ;D

YES I MADE THIS ACCOUNT JUST FOR YOU! <3
The answer to your prayers is:
Code:
synclient tapbutton1=1
# This enables tap to click on the first (left) button
Code:
synclient tapbutton2=3
# This enables right click via a two-finger-tap

Hope this made your day ;D

Thanks !! Finally i found a good solution!

I did't had any problems with right-clicking on a MacBook.....I just use two fingers to do it.....
iu

Last edited:
I did't had any problems with right-clicking on a MacBook.....I just use two fingers to do it.....
iu
Wow! The right click was there all along. So easy too. Its been over a year struggling with this. The only thing was to plug in a mouse at times I hated using this MacBook Pro 2012 even with Zorin because of this. Now its a game changer. Thank you and thanks for going all out with the graphic.

Members online