Returning to Linux (Lite) after many years and struggling with internet speed

jensvs

Reaction score
Credits
Hi everyone,

I used Ubuntu many years ago and just installed Linux Lite in my old laptop so my kids can use it for some easy coding games and school work. The computer runs fine albeit slower than expected but weirdly the internet speed is terribly slow, sites don't load and just crash. I've changed a few parameters in Firefox but that didn't resolve it. Installing chrome or edge through the software center didn't work either.

Specs are Intel-core i5, 1.7Ghz, Intel HD graphics 4400, 8gb DDR3 RAM. So it should be breezy fast with Lite.

G'day jensvs, Welcome to Linux.org

You are quite right ....that laptop should be breezy fast.

Any problems with the install?

Any suspicions re the hard drive?

How long ago did you install Linux Lite?

It sounds like it is possibly not browser related.

Have you considered a reinstall ?

I've installed it a while ago and the internet on my browser was always slow. I didn't notice it in the updates though which is why I think it's the browser. Just updating it but maybe a reinstall is the way to go. With the specs, I figured I'd go light but maybe another distro is better? I don't have as much time as I used to to figure out stuff through forums and the terminal sadly and my knowledge seems to have disappeared.

It's weird in that once a page loads it works. My kids use scratch quite a bit. But anything else doesn't. I've found a similar issue in a post from 2020 but their recommendations didn't do the trick for me. I can't post screenshots cause I can't even access this forum...

Check the wi-fi and drivers, If it's an RTL you may need different drivers to the ones included in the distribution

Members online