Retrieve from Printer

wizardfromoz

Administrator
Staff member
Gold Supporter
Reaction score
Credits
This from Member, Phylly, I will clean up later.

I'm not sure where this should go, but I need some help retrieving info from my printer. I've always heard that computers/laptops are about as secure as a wet paper bag, and that one of the thing that can be done is retrieving previously printed documents at a later date. I am trying to pin down the date of a specific incident and know it occurred the same day as I printed a copy of a certain document I got off the web. I found the document on the web, copied it to a blank page, then printed it off, but I don't know how to find it again. Can anyone help me? I had an accident that day, and though not serious, it still hurts and the doctor is going to ask when it happened, and I have only a very vague memory that it happened some time last week. I have no one to ask because no one saw the accident, so I have to pin it down this way. PLEASE HELP!!!!

Please address your comments to Phylly.

Thanks folks

Wizrd

@Phylly, I think the easiest and first thing to check would be the browser history, if you haven't disabled it. If you recognize the website that you copied from, it will probably show the date... but I am guessing because I do not save history myself.

There may be print logs that can be searched, but I'm not familiar with them offhand. Logs may just show date and time of print jobs... not show you a copy of the print to jog your memory.

Also, what did you paste the web page into before printing? A LibreOffice document? Might you have saved that? LibreOffice has a list of "recent documents" that might reveal something to help you.

It might also help to know what distro, what desktop, and what printer?

This link below (on your own computer) may show your the recent printer logs:

http://localhost:631/jobs?which_jobs=completed

You have to scroll down to the bottom, and maybe click the "View Next" button to show the most recent print jobs. But it doesn't give much.... date, time, number of pages. I don't know if it will help, or if you can even view it.

Members online

Latest posts