RESURRECT A OLD NOTEBOOK

Muniz_Lskas

Reaction score
Credits
I was given the mission to resurrect a notebook from 2007, his hardware has huge 512mb of ram and powerful 60gb of hd that I have no idea of the reading speed, but for sure it must be very high, to try to solve this problem I thought of Linux for being a lighter operating system, I researched and found out about such a "ubuntu minimal" which is basically some version of ubuntu made exclusively for bad computers, the biggest problem I found was the installation screen, the interface began flashing as if it were some problem related to resolution. I really don't know what to do, I count a LOT on your help, thank you in advance.

(sorry, my english is bad :p)

You're going to need something much lighter than trying to shoehorn Ubuntu Minimal (which these days requires like netinstall, if memory serves). You're looking at things like TinyCore and Puppy.

If you can increase the RAM, you can get some wiggle room for other distros like Antix.

See also:

If you are keeping the netbook as stock [with 512 mb ram] there are a few very lightweight choices, if you increase to 1mb the choice widens dramatically, if you increase it to 2mb [the max the board will take in most cases] you will be able to run almost any distribution.
problems you may incur on a machine of this age..
It may be a 32 bit machine [a 32 bit motherboard with either a 32 bit or a 64 bit CPU] which limits your choice of supported distributions
It may not be USB bootable [this is around the time of the switch from DVD to USB]
you may need legacy drivers for your sound/graphic cards

is it possible to overcome most problems so don't worry
let us know the full make and model number and I will see if it's in my data base

Bwiz

If you are keeping the netbook as stock [with 512 mb ram] there are a few very lightweight choices, if you increase to 1mb the choice widens dramatically, if you increase it to 2mb [the max the board will take in most cases] you will be able to run almost any distribution.
problems you may incur on a machine of this age..
It may be a 32 bit machine [a 32 bit motherboard with either a 32 bit or a 64 bit CPU] which limits your choice of supported distributions
It may not be USB bootable [this is around the time of the switch from DVD to USB]
you may need legacy drivers for your sound/graphic cards

is it possible to overcome most problems so don't worry
let us know the full make and model number and I will see if it's in my data base

Bwiz

thanks for the help, his model is LIETRALLY "Positivo Mobile"

Positivo Mobile is a Brazilian brand for a range of mobile products, do you know what the model number is?

yep, apparently don't have model number,
on the back of the device has the serial number which is 5707895, in "model" only "Positivo Mobile". Sorry.

If its working try
open up the Settings menu.
After that, tap on System.
And then tap on About
See what you can find model would be nice, but any other information [processor type, storage,amount ram, if it tells you 32 or 64 bit Etc]

, if you increase to 1mb the choice widens dramatically, if you increase it to 2mb [the max the board will take in most cases] you will be able to run almost any distribution.

Just a clarification on that, should be 1 GB and 2 GB

Wiz

I actually read it as GBs. Brainfart on a brainfart. Double brainfart, lol.

just making sure your all reading whats going on.... :D

Members online

Latest posts