Restrict file manager "show hidden files" toggle

Raj1718

Reaction score
Credits
I recently installed linux mint 20. I want to restrict anyone to toggle file manager's show hidden files toggle so that it ask for authentication/password each time. Not the full app just this function... Is there any script or method to achieve this ?

I do not know about setting a password for just that function but you can remove it altogether with dconf-editor - here is how if you are interested
Install the "dconf editor" using the command:
Code:
sudo apt install dconf-tools
open dconf editor using the command:
Code:
dconf-editor
Browse to org > gtk > settings > file-chooser
Uncheck the "hidden file" key appearing in right side. to see it again just put a check back in the box

Tried that just now. installing dconf tools gave error but dconf editor got installed instead.
But there 'show hidden' option is already unchecked. And also it doesn't remove the feature altogether but just toggles it same like how it can be done in file manager app.

Attachments

• 20210727_225819.jpg
    20210727_225819.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 265
Tried that just now. installing dconf tools gave error but dconf editor got installed instead.
But there 'show hidden' option is already unchecked. And also it doesn't remove the feature altogether but just toggles it same like how it can be done in file manager app.
My bad forgot the name was change to dconf-editor
Code:
sudo apt install dconf-editor
Also in the synaptic package manager if you have that installed

I have run out of ideas maybe someone else has a way but I do not know of any

Members online