Restoring root to /usr/bin/sudo

Fweezal

Reaction score
Credits
Yeah. I screwed up. I got careless when changing ownership by hitting enter too soon. Now the entire root directory is owned by me. Of course that means I can't run anything like sudo or any system apps/utils. I tried reversing it, but, of course, UID 0 must own the /usr/bin directory. Any way around this from the console? I don't relish a completely new install. Oh, yeah. I'm on KDE Neon latest version.

Not sure if that is fixable, but what distribution are you running? And do you mean you recurively, so you did you run something like this?
Code:
chown fweezal.fweezal -R /
And do you know the root password?

Not sure if that is fixable, but what distribution are you running? And do you mean you recurively, so you did you run something like this?
Code:
chown fweezal.fweezal -R /
And do you know the root password?
That's what I did alright. I do know the p/w. However, I just bit the bullet and did a fresh install. Out of curiosity, did you have a possible solution or was this one of the few ways to permanently dork up a Linux install?

That's what I did alright. I do know the p/w. However, I just bit the bullet and did a fresh install. Out of curiosity, did you have a possible solution or was this one of the few ways to permanently dork up a Linux install?
Not out of the top of my head. I did find a way to restore permissions for installed packages but that was only for a specific distribution, that being the reason why I asked what distribution you are running.

Not out of the top of my head. I did find a way to restore permissions for installed packages but that was only for a specific distribution, that being the reason why I asked what distribution you are running.
KDE Neon 5.20 Apparently, there is a permissions issue with the latest version on a clean install. I am unable to install .deb files without using gdebi. I never had this problem before.

I found a description of a way to restore permissions for rpm packages, since you are running Ubuntu that would not have been an option. The only other solution would be to have a backup of your permissions to then restore them as root user, so the easiest and fastest solution would be what you already did which is a reinstall.

I found a description of a way to restore permissions for rpm packages, since you are running Ubuntu that would not have been an option. The only other solution would be to have a backup of your permissions to then restore them as root user, so the easiest and fastest solution would be what you already did which is a reinstall.

The install is going a *little* better than anticipated. Still haven't figured why I have to use gdebi to install stuff. But, whatever. o_O

The install is going a *little* better than anticipated. Still haven't figured why I have to use gdebi to install stuff. But, whatever. o_O
You should be able to install software by using the software center or synaptic which both use the Ubuntu repositories, gdebi is more for installing packages you downloaded manually.

You should be able to install software by using the software center or synaptic which both use the Ubuntu repositories, gdebi is more for installing packages you downloaded manually.
Yup. That's what's happening. But, some of the software center packages/apps are out of date. Oh, well. BIG lesson learned!!

Yup. That's what's happening. But, some of the software center packages/apps are out of date. Oh, well. BIG lesson learned!!
If you want newer software you could have a look at running a rolling release distribution such as Manjaro.

If you don't want to run rolling release you could also have a look at Fedora, it isn't rolling release distribution but it has newer packages since Fedora is the testing grounds for rhel.

If you want newer software you could have a look at running a rolling release distribution such as Manjaro.

I've become rather attached to KDE Neon. I've tried a TON (as I'm sure a lot of us have) and always gravitate back to Neon.

I've become rather attached to KDE Neon. I've tried a TON (as I'm sure a lot of us have) and always gravitate back to Neon.
Good that you decided to stick to what you are comfortable with, but know that you are running on a static release distribution and that if you manually upgrade packages you are eventually going to run into problems. Static release distributions will upgrade to newer packages but it will take longer for them to be released.

I should have started with that, but Welcome to Linux.org, be sure to introduce yourself in the introduction section that way you can meet the other members.

Good that you decided to stick to what you are comfortable with, but know that you are running on a static release distribution and that if you manually upgrade packages you are eventually going to run into problems. Static release distributions will upgrade to newer packages but it will take longer for them to be released.

I should have started with that, but Welcome to Linux.org, be sure to introduce yourself in the introduction section that way you can meet the other members.
Many thanks. Will do.

Members online

Latest posts