Resources/Whitepapers for designing a Linux Patching Policy and Local Update Server?

alex---z

Reaction score
Credits
I need to design and implement a Linux (both Alma and Ubuntu platforms) patching strategy and policy, and deploy some new patching servers for my employer.

I'm looking for probably architect level resources on doing so, both on a design/policy level and/or a technical level, for example on things like scheduling and automating using a local repo server or servers, managing notifications, and differentiating between different types and levels of patch (i.e. various levels of security patch vs normal updates). I'm also looking to use Ansible in conjunction with local repos to assist with managing updates.

I've done a fair bit of googling, and found resources online such as this Linux Ultimate Patching Guide, but I've not found anything that's really helping me look at some best practices or configs or iron out the fine details, a lot of these guides seem to go so far and/or then try to push you towards their own commercial solutions, and I'm not interested in/in a position to use commercial products. Similarly with regards to books there doesn't seem to much that I've found that's recent enough to be of use.

Can anybody please point me towards any decent resources, such as books, whitepapers, even websites/forums/discord or IRC groups, anything that might help me level up a bit more with sourcing information on to the best way to go about achieving this?

Thanks in advance.

Members online