Resizing Linux system partition

Koles

Reaction score
Credits
Hi. I have GRUB which detects Windows 7 and Linux.
There is 1 disk and 4 partitions:
windows-partition windows-partition(OS) free-space linux-partition(OS)
I'm thinking how to extend the linux partition with the free space... I see 2 solutions here a) using Disk Genius on Windows or bootable GParted disk... will Linux fail to boot from GRUB if I do either a) or b) ? Thanks :)

Hi. I have GRUB which detects Windows 7 and Linux.
There is 1 disk and 4 partitions:
windows-partition windows-partition(OS) free-space linux-partition(OS)
I'm thinking how to extend the linux partition with the free space... I see 2 solutions here a) using Disk Genius on Windows or bootable GParted disk... will Linux fail to boot from GRUB if I do either a) or b) ? Thanks :)
Moving the boot partition will make your Linux os fail to boot from Grub.

You might want to take a screenshot of all of your partitions in g-parted so we can take a look at what you have before you proceed with resizing.

This is screenshot from Disk Genius on Windows 7. See the 1,6GB of free space before Linux partition.
What can I do?

disk_genius.png

You could use that 1.6 Gig's of free space for storage.
<OR> you could re-install Linux and use that 1.6 gigs as part of your Linux ext 4 journaling fs.

Anyway, when you create a partition for that free space and you finish just make sure that you boot into Linux and update Grub.

sudo update-grub

If you're not having any booting issue's with either one of your operatings systems I would leave things as they are.

See my signature line.

If you're not having any booting issue's with either one of your operatings systems I would leave things as they are.
It looks like the OP soon will have issues. Both Windows and Linux partitions are very nearly full. The color difference between shades of blue in the graphic shows this, and the details given for the Windows partition indicate less than 4% is available (3.5GB free of 93GB total).

It is probably safe to use Gparted to expand the Linux partition into the free 1.6GB space because it is adjacent to Linux, but this is not a guarantee. You should always backup anything important before you start making partition changes. I would not trust a Windows program to make these changes, even though it seems that your program does recognize the EXT4 filesystem. Being a Linux forum, we are more familiar with Linux tools, not Windows (I've never heard of Disk Genius).

My advice is:

1. Backup important data (both Windows and Linux) before doing anything.
2. Use Gparted to merge the empty space with Linux.
3. Start going through both Windows and Linux to uninstall unused programs and delete unneeded files until you have a comfortable amount of free space in both of those partitions.

How much free space? I've typically heard about 10%, but this article says more for Windows, both for HDD and SSD. The decisions are yours, but it's easier to fix things now before the trouble starts.

Yes, gparted should work. Before doing anything, backup what you have.

Members online

Latest posts