Reselling devices with Linux installed.

V

Videodrome

I'm a recently college grad trying to think of ways to apply my education and start making money. Lately, I've been pondering the idea of making money by repurposing hardware using Linux or possibly BSD.

The simplest example would be overhauling a PC for a dedicated application such as a Server or Firewall.

Another idea that occurred to me is if Linux can run on old Game Consoles. Since the PS4 and XB1 have rolled out, will cheap XBox360s or PS3s be out there? There does seem to be hacking techniques for replacing the Console OS with Linux.

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Wii-Linux/Distros

What if for example, I bought a Nintendo Wii, and turned it into a Linux Firewall?

I'm wondering if there are GNU Licensing issues with this. Also, I wonder if anyone had thoughts on the legality of breaking into Consoles this way and reselling them. This is much different from console hardware "Modding" to play copied games.

I don't know that I would go the console route with "modding" them to be linux machines.

What you are proposing is no different than what system76 and some of the others do. I don't see where there would be a problem.

One thing to think of is what if any warranty you are providing. I know you are likely to hear that something is broken and people might expect replacement.

Hmm.. maybe I'll consider the console for personal use, but not sell it. I think game console companies are possessive of their hardware and how it can be used.

If I sold a *Nixed PC, it might be on Craigslist or Ebay sold "as is". If a person complained enough, I might take it back and give a refund instead of fixing it for them.

Anyway, this is mostly brainstorming ideas on how to get some money coming in.

Staff online

Latest posts