Request for help troubleshooting new computer build

C

CrazedNerd

I decided to build a new desktop, and now i'm kinda disappointed. I put it all together, and it did not power on. I tried changing power outlets, plugging-in/disconnecting motherboard cables, components, moving around the power switch connector, but i got no reaction. Today, i decided to take the motherboard/fan/processor/ram from my working desktop and hook it into the new case/PSU to see if anything changed. After plugging in the main PSU cable and the the fan cable, i did get a reaction! I got an orange light...

-Does this mean that the new case and PSU are not the issue here?

-is this maybe an indicator that there's some mechanism to keep the MOBO from posting if the case fans are not plugged in? Didn't think it mattered especially since it's an open-air desktop at this point...the case fans were plugged in in the initial setup with all the new stuff. I plugged everything in that had a place to be plugged in on the motherboard.

That's all the info i see as relevant, not going to give anymore without some questions as that would make this even more confusing...

try your new motherboard in your old case with old PSU and see if it fires up. If so likely is your new PSU

try your new motherboard in your old case with old PSU and see if it fires up. If so likely is your new PSU
i just discovered that my first time testing the old MOBO in new case was flawed, because i plugged the processor fan into the "system fan" slot instead of the CPU fan slot. Plugging the fan into the right slot, it fully powers my old MOBO. So now we know it's not the PSU or case cables. Dammit, well at least i've learned something. I'm about to clean off new CPU with isopropyl and try to insert new stuff again, then i;ll be sure that it's either the RAM, processor (unlikely because intel doesn't fuck around with their processors...), fan, or motherboard. The first time i did all this, i made sure everything was plugged in, so i'll be pleasantly shocked if it all works this time around.

Well hopefully it will at least post for you. Most motherboards have a light that will blink a code if there is something wrong. It would help if you could post information about the hardware you are using

Well hopefully it will at least post for you. Most motherboards have a light that will blink a code if there is something wrong. It would help if you could post information about the hardware you are using
im going for a walk, but i will do that after i test the new components again [if it still isn't working] and put my old desktop back together.

Make sure the motherboard is standing away from the case, as it should.
It is more often than not the first step, and also the most likely to foul up.

Make sure the motherboard is standing away from the case, as it should.
It is more often than not the first step, and also the most likely to foul up.

Could you be a little more specific? Thanks.

I am talking about the standoffs. Make sure they are installed properly....

Under NO circumstances should the motherboard be mounted such that the back of the board is in contact with the metal case. This will cause a short-circuit and could damage the motherboard.

Standoffs keep the motherboard above the case. This prevents it from shorting out and helps cooling. Some cases will come with standoffs, while others do not. Your motherboard should come with its own standoffs.

Last edited:
Moving this to Hardware, where it is better placed.

Cheers

Wiz

If this is your first DIY build, I hope you followed the construction diagrams carefully, any wrong connection can cause components to be cooked,
the most common construction fault [apart from cables] is fitting the CPU , make sure you have not damaged any of the pins, and when you fit the heat sink/cpu fan make sure the top of the processor and the bottom of heat sink are clean and Greece free then use the correct amount of thermal paste between them [usualy a drop in the centre of the cpu about the size of a garden pea [or large maze kernel] too much will make a mess of the motherboard..

ooh.. another thought, did you make sure the CPU is supported by the motherboard the socket [pin configuration] may be correct but that don't mean the motherboard/cpu are a safe marriage

Moving this to Hardware, where it is better placed.

Cheers

Wiz
it's your forum, but that's kinda odd because linux isn't written on any of the components i bought, i would think that section would be for discussing raspberry pi's or kernel related issues

If this is your first DIY build, I hope you followed the construction diagrams carefully, any wrong connection can cause components to be cooked,
the most common construction fault [apart from cables] is fitting the CPU , make sure you have not damaged any of the pins, and when you fit the heat sink/cpu fan make sure the top of the processor and the bottom of heat sink are clean and Greece free then use the correct amount of thermal paste between them [usualy a drop in the centre of the cpu about the size of a garden pea [or large maze kernel] too much will make a mess of the motherboard..

No this is my second build, and yes i know about the socket pin problem, i literally had to to destroy two motherboards on my first build before realizing that my hoodie was catching onto the pins. Manufacturers normally put in decent safety procedures in terms of their schematics but some lessons have to be learned the hard way unfortunately. Nobody who puts together desktops knows everything about the electrical schematics of every MOBO.

Well, in the process of testing the new PSU and case, i was happy to learn the manufacturer didn't screw that up. Then, I put together my old computer the same way it was before, and when i tried to start it again, the PSU got fried for some reason. Great. Obviously not a computer component to buy for cheap. Now my room has become a computer operating room, which is the fun part...

would be for discussing raspberry pi's or kernel related issues
oh contrair.. this section is for help with buying, installing,and troubleshooting all hardware

Now my room has become a computer operating room, which is the fun part...
I have been building/repairing/upgrading boxes since the IBM compatible [also known as the 286] that's around 1981
before we moved, I used the spare bedroom as my workshop/office the wife use to call it the HP factory as there was spare parts everywhere,

alright everyone, so i skipped out on certain details, and decided just to return everything except for the RAM and VGA converter (i've been going to Micro Center which is pretty great even though it's a long drive). I decided to try to do mini-ITX since the folks at the store are so damn helpful...i think the MOBO brand was rark, i got a Rizen AM4 processor that doesn't have heating issues (i typically prefer intel..), an M.2 hard drive, and i think the RAM is Corsair...can't remember all the details, but if the same thing happens again trying to build today then i'm going to return everything, give up on this a while as i fill out job applications (i only work very part time and feel a little isolated...), and set out to fix the old desktop mentioned. Doesn't sound very fun, but you do what you must...luckily the folks at micro center were able to find me a mobo that has a completely updated BIOS...i'll tell yall what happens today wish me luck.

Fingers crossed for you, the Ryzen CPU will need a distribution with a kernel of 5.10 or higher, and not very common, but there have been reports of Corsair ram causing problems.
Just make sure you earth yourself to the chassis before connecting anything [you can use a propriotry wrist strap, or I use one of my bare arms resting on the mettle framework when inserting components ]

Fingers crossed for you, the Ryzen CPU will need a distribution with a kernel of 5.10 or higher.
Not necessarily, it depends on which Ryzen generation cpu you have.

Older kernels will work with Vermeer and WX CPUs, they just don't recognize some of the newer features.
I've found the BIOS/UEFI seems to matter more than my kernel versions.
I run my Mastisse with 4.x kernels from time to time. It boots fine under CentOS 8 or 9.

I'm taking a break to eat, but figuring out how to put this low-profile cooling fan in is interesting, i've got a Chopin case so this is going to be a VERY small desktop which is the direction i was looking to go in...M.2 required and no standard size graphics, i'm using this as an educational and programming computer with linux only so the card shouldn't be necessary.

If the corsair doesn't work i can try the G-skill which i kept from the other build...apparently they are one of the best manufacturers in that department.