Request: Distro recommendations for Acer Extensa 5230E

M

MikBro

Hello there, everyone!

I'm looking for a light-on-the-resources (it should run as smoothly as possible, I hate it when my machine gets unresponsive), not too complicated to handle Linux distro, possibly of the 64bit variaty, to use mainly for simple office work and coding/programming as well as web browsing on my Acer Extensa 5230E Laptop with the following specs:

CPU: Intel Celeron M 900 @ 2.2GHz (single core)
Graphics: Intel GMA 4500M (I think)
Soundcard: Intel 82801IB ICH9 HD Audio Controller (I think)
RAM: 1GB (soon to be 4GB) DDR2-667
HDD Space: about 1TB
Networking: Atheros AR5B93 Wireless Network Adapter (a/b/g/n) (I think)

This should be all the relevant information, if I am not mistaken.
I am not sure, whether my upgrade to 4GB RAM justifies a 64bit OS or not, so if you think it doesn't feel free to enlighten me!

I'm a rather inexperienced Linux user who has up to this point mainly used Ubuntu and distros based on it (e.g. Ubuntu Studio, Lubuntu, Mint).
Now I would like to change things up a bit and use a distro which is not based on Ubuntu or it's derivatives (distros based on Debian are fine, though).

Furthermore, I would like to exclude the following distros:
- GALPon MiniNo
I tried this one, it had trouble connecting to WLAN and had that annoying "meow" on start-up. I may try it again if anyone has a suggestion on how to resolve those problems.

- Puppy Linux
I can't really put my finger on it, but for some reason I do not like Puppy Linux, as irrational as it sounds and probably is. Oh, and I had trouble installing it, if I recall correctly...

Thank you all in advance!

Regards,
Mik

Last edited:

If you are a fan of Ubuntu based distros then Lubuntu or Xubuntu would be good choices. Linux Mint is also a good choice.

For RedHat based distros then I recommend Fedora with either LXDE or XFCE.

Thank you for your reply, ryanvade!

But I think you misunderstood: I am not an Ubuntu fan, it just happend to be the distro I used most so far.

Now I want to try something else!

So thank you for suggesting Fedora, I'll look into that.

I have another topic I'd like to know more about:
Power consumption & management!
Are there differences between distros regarding this?
If there are, I would naturally like my laptop to last as long as possible.
If not, are there any tricks to prolong battery life?

Regards,
Mik

PS: A little off-topic question, just out of curiosity, how come I was banned for spam shortly after creating my first post? I mean, it is not like I did anything wrong, or did I? Well, I am banned no longer, so I will not complain too loudly...

Last edited:
Creating "my own" Linux... Sounds very compelling!
I might do that just to see what kind of options I have.

Thank you very much for providing those links, arochester!

Members online