Repository Issue with LMDE 4

Hmmm, I've fired up my laptop and on Debian 10, I've got cmake v3.13 installed..
LMDE 4 "Debbie" is supposedly Debian 10 based, so the package versions should pretty much match up with what I have installed.

Which version of Debian is your LMDE based on? For it to be using 3.10 of cmake, it can't be Debian 10?!

When you update it, are there any held packages that require a dist-upgrade in order to install?
That's the only other possible cause of discrepancy I can think of offhand.......

Looking at the top of CMakelists.txt in the root of the xiphos directory - it clearly specifies that cmake version 3.11 or greater should be used and that earlier versions are NOT supported.

BUT in the two lines at the top of the file (after all of the initial comments) - you could TRY changing the occurrences of 3.11 to 3.10 and then go back into the build directory and run the cmake command from my previous two posts.

But whether it will work or not will be a bit of a crap-shoot. I'm assuming that their CMakelists.txt file must be using some functionality that is specific to 3.11.

If that doesn't work, then there's no much hope of building xiphos on your installation of LMDE.
The LMDE on my other desktop is based on Debian 10.
I'm trying to follow the instructions you have given me for Elementary OS which is based on Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa.

Once I get that right and Xiphos installed I plan to follow your instructions all over again to get Xiphos installed on LMDE.

If I have to I'll install LMDE over Elementary.

I'll try installing version CMake 3.11 on Elementary and see if that helps and try your instructions again.

I looked in the top of the CMakelists.txt in root of xiphos directory and 3.11 is listed.

cmake_minimum_required (VERSION 3.11 FATAL_ERROR)
cmake_policy(VERSION 3.11)

It doesn't look like it's possible to build xiphos on Elementary OS.

I discovered another problem.
I tried to install cmake 3.11 and I have held broken pkg's.

libghc-web-routes-happstack-dev:i386 : Depends: libghc-base-dev-4.9.1.0-5a696:i386
Depends: libghc-bytestring-dev-0.10.8.1-a98c5:i386
Depends: libghc-happstack-server-dev-7.4.6.4-d64cf:i386
Depends: libghc-text-dev-1.2.2.2-4f564:i386
Depends: libghc-web-routes-dev-0.27.12-359a6:i386
Conflicts: libghc-web-routes-happstack-dev but 0.23.11-1build1 is to be installed
libghc-web-routes-happstack-prof : Depends: libghc-base-prof-4.9.1.0-d28d6
Depends: libghc-bytestring-prof-0.10.8.1-45b2c
Depends: libghc-happstack-server-prof-7.4.6.4-68659
Depends: libghc-text-prof-1.2.2.2-5429b
Depends: libghc-web-routes-prof-0.27.12-2ed89
Conflicts: libghc-web-routes-happstack-prof:i386 but 0.23.11-1build1 is to be installed
libghc-web-routes-happstack-prof:i386 : Depends: libghc-base-prof-4.9.1.0-5a696:i386
Depends: libghc-bytestring-prof-0.10.8.1-a98c5:i386
Depends: libghc-happstack-server-prof-7.4.6.4-d64cf:i386
Depends: libghc-text-prof-1.2.2.2-4f564:i386
Depends: libghc-web-routes-prof-0.27.12-359a6:i386
Conflicts: libghc-web-routes-happstack-prof but 0.23.11-1

E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Last edited:
I don't think this build of xiphos is possible on the system.
Seems way to complicated to me:-

Unless I'm mistaken, those libghc libraries are haskell libraries..... That's got nothing to do with cmake. That's some other issue there..... Do you use haskell at all?

What happens if you try to install cmake like this? :
Bash:
sudo apt install -f cmake
The -f option is the short version of the --fix-broken option.
Hopefully it will fix the problems with the other packages and install cmake!

Unless I'm mistaken, those libghc libraries are haskell libraries..... That's got nothing to do with cmake. That's some other issue there..... Do you use haskell at all?

What happens if you try to install cmake like this? :
Bash:
sudo apt install -f cmake
The -f option is the short version of the --fix-broken option.
Hopefully it will fix the problems with the other packages and install cmake!

No, I don't use haskell at all.

Here is what the commandline returns if I try to install cmake.

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
cmake is already the newest version (3.10.2-1ubuntu2.18.04.1).
The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
linux-headers-5.4.0-47-generic linux-hwe-5.4-headers-5.4.0-47 linux-image-5.4.0-47-generic
linux-modules-5.4.0-47-generic linux-modules-extra-5.4.0-47-generic
Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Would it help to go download the .deb of 3.11 if I can find it and try to install that?

I looked and wasn't able to find version 3.11:-

Evidently 3.19 is the current version.

I went back to post #77 and I need 3.11 or higher.
So first I'll have to remove cmake and than I think I have to run ./bootstrap, make, make install.

The ReadMe file says:
or example, if you simply want to build and install CMake from source,
you can build directly in the source tree::

$ ./bootstrap && make && sudo make install

Sound right to you?

Last edited:
3.19 is a Release Candidate (2nd) - 3.18.4 is the latest current version.

But 3.16.3 is the latest available to Focal Fossa derivatives and you would have problems with higher.

Might I suggest something, Alex?

You have shown that you are not averse to trying a new Distro, or multibooting. Given you said early in the piece

The current version of Xiphos is 4.2.1.

...you might be better served to look at something like Fedora 32 or Arch/Manjaro, both of which have 4.2.1 available to them by default.

With Fedora, it is in the Repos, so simply a matter of

Code:
sudo dnf install xiphos

With Manjaro (likely same with Arch), you can draw it down from the AUR (Arch User Repository), using

Code:
yay -S xiphos

and OK the first option with each default prompt. Yay will prompt you if when it needs a password.

With Fedora it installs straightforward, easy peasy.

With Manjaro, it spools out a lot of output, and if you want to save the output to a text file (will be a long file) before you exit Terminal, it refers to a lot of the makebuild-type protocols that may help you elsewhere.

Other than that, we are approaching 6 pages here, with no result, not for lack of trying on the part of both of you :)

Just a friendly thought from a Wizard

3.19 is a Release Candidate (2nd) - 3.18.4 is the latest current version.

But 3.16.3 is the latest available to Focal Fossa derivatives and you would have problems with higher.

Might I suggest something, Alex?

You have shown that you are not averse to trying a new Distro, or multibooting. Given you said early in the piece

...you might be better served to look at something like Fedora 32 or Arch/Manjaro, both of which have 4.2.1 available to them by default.

With Fedora, it is in the Repos, so simply a matter of

Code:
sudo dnf install xiphos

With Manjaro (likely same with Arch), you can draw it down from the AUR (Arch User Repository), using

Code:
yay -S xiphos

and OK the first option with each default prompt. Yay will prompt you if when it needs a password.

With Fedora it installs straightforward, easy peasy.

With Manjaro, it spools out a lot of output, and if you want to save the output to a text file (will be a long file) before you exit Terminal, it refers to a lot of the makebuild-type protocols that may help you elsewhere.

Other than that, we are approaching 6 pages here, with no result, not for lack of trying on the part of both of you :)

Just a friendly thought from a Wizard

The good news is that I am running Manjaro, Debian and Elementary on my gaming rig and all 3 run great! Xiphos runs great in Manjaro-:)
My second desktop down the hall is in a triple boot is Manjaro, LMDE and Linux Mint.

The problem is the only way to get Xiphos installed on LMDE or Elementary is I have no other choice but to compile from a src tar.bz. because the older version does not install and function properly.

I ran Fedora for about 3 years, loved it. However I'd like to stick with LMDE and Elementary if I can.

Yeah, your right it's been 6 pages and no result yet. So having said that, I will remove the older version of cmake. Install the newer version and hope for the best. If it doesn't work than I'll except that.

Thank you JasKinasis for your time and help. I learned some things about Linux from you and will use them in the future to build and compile.

No worries.
I'm always happy to help out!

The download page for cmake has a self-extracting binary version of cmake v3.18 - which is the latest, stable release of cmake. The archive is embedded in a shell-script.

All you do is download the shell script, make it executable and then run it.
The direct link to the cmake v3.18 shellscript installer is here:

No worries.
I'm always happy to help out!

The download page for cmake has a self-extracting binary version of cmake v3.18 - which is the latest, stable release of cmake. The archive is embedded in a shell-script.

All you do is download the shell script, make it executable and then run it.
The direct link to the cmake v3.18 shellscript installer is here:
OK-

Gotta work tomorrow and run errands so I'll let you know how it goes Saturday.
If it doesn't work out that's ok.

Well after removing the older version of cmake and running the script for the newer version of cmake it finished successfully.

However when I inquire via the commandline 'cmake --version' the console returns command not found.

Thanks for all of the help with this.

Everyone have a good weekend.

Run the command:
Bash:
sudo updatedb
This will update the database/cache of filenames used by the locate command.
Then run the command:
Bash:
locate cmake
And that will show you a list of paths which have the string cmake in them. With any luck you can see where the installer put the cmake binary.
It may have put it somewhere that is not currently in $PATH.
e.g. in .local/bin/ in your home directory

If we can see where the script put it, we can add it to $PATH, so you can run it!

Run the command:
Bash:
sudo updatedb
This will update the database/cache of filenames used by the locate command.
Then run the command:
Bash:
locate cmake
And that will show you a list of paths which have the string cmake in them. With any luck you can see where the installer put the cmake binary.
It may have put it somewhere that is not currently in $PATH.
e.g. in .local/bin/ in your home directory

If we can see where the script put it, we can add it to $PATH, so you can run it!
Running the locate cmd produced a lot of output!

/home/cora/Downloads/cmake-3.18.4-Linux-x86_64/bin
/home/cora/Downloads/cmake-3.18.4-Linux-x86_64/doc
/home/cora/Downloads/cmake-3.18.4-Linux-x86_64/man
/home/cora/Downloads/cmake-3.18.4-Linux-x86_64/share
/home/cora/Downloads/cmake-3.18.4-Linux-x86_64/bin/ccmake
/home/cora/Downloads/cmake-3.18.4-Linux-x86_64/bin/cmake
/home/cora/Downloads/cmake-3.18.4-Linux-x86_64/bin/cmake-gui
/home/cora/Downloads/cmake-3.18.4-Linux-x86_64/bin/cpack
/home/cora/Downloads/cmake-3.18.4-Linux-x86_64/bin/ctest
/home/cora/Downloads/cmake-3.18.4-Linux-x86_64/doc/cmake
/home/cora/Downloads/cmake-3.18.4-Linux-x86_64/doc/cmake/CMake.qch
/home/cora/Downloads/cmake-3.19.0-rc2/Modules/Compiler/ADSP-DetermineCompiler.cmake

/usr/share/xml/docbook/stylesheet/docbook-xsl/highlighting/cmake-hl.xml
/var/lib/app-info/icons/ubuntu-bionic-universe/128x128/cmake-qt-gui_CMakeSetup.png
/var/lib/app-info/icons/ubuntu-bionic-universe/64x64/cmake-qt-gui_CMakeSetup.png

That's just a small snipet of the output.

How would I know the binary listed in all of the output if I saw it?

It looks like it’s installed it inside /home/Downloads/cmake-3.18.4-Linux-x86_64/
the binaries/executables are in its /bin subdirectory. And then you have the man pages in the man directory, other documentation in the doc directory. Not sure what’s in the share directory?!
hmmmm... that’s a way off the beaten $PATH!! Ha ha! I wonder if the installation script accepts any parameters to allow you to put it in /usr/local? Hmmm....

I’ll do some investigation and will get back to you!

It looks like it’s installed it inside /home/Downloads/cmake-3.18.4-Linux-x86_64/
the binaries/executables are in its /bin subdirectory. And then you have the man pages in the man directory, other documentation in the doc directory. Not sure what’s in the share directory?!
hmmmm... that’s a way off the beaten $PATH!! Ha ha! I wonder if the installation script accepts any parameters to allow you to put it in /usr/local? Hmmm....

I’ll do some investigation and will get back to you!
OK, thanks.

Debian and Ubuntu are neither compatible nor interchangeable.

PPA's from Ubuntu do not work with Debian. Usually.