Repository Issue with LMDE 4

I'm having issues with dependencies.

a-System-Product-Name:~/Downloads/gtkhtml-4.10.0$ dpkg -L gtkhtml
dpkg-query: package 'gtkhtml' is not installed
Use dpkg --info (= dpkg-deb --info) to examine archive files,
and dpkg --contents (= dpkg-deb --contents) to list their contents.
c-System-Product-Name:~/Downloads/gtkhtml-4.10.0$ dpkg --info gtkhtml
dpkg-deb: error: error reading archive magic version number from file gtkhtml: Is a directory
c-System-Product-Name:~/Downloads/gtkhtml-4.10.0$ sudo apt install gtkhtml
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package gtkhtml
c-System-Product-Name:~/Downloads/gtkhtml-4.10.0$ apt-cache policy gtkhtml
N: Unable to locate package gtkhtml

I'm off to look for gtkhtml and biblesync.

Found gtkhtml but I think it's too old.

configure: error: The pkg-config script could not be found or is too old. Make sure it
is in your PATH or set the PKG_CONFIG environment variable to the full
path to pkg-config.

Last edited:

I'm having a hard time finding gtkhtml-

Found it at Github:

Found biblesync too!

BTW, those 2 pkg's have dependencies that have to be installed first according to the ReadMe file on Github. This is taking longer than I had thought.
Looks like a slow progress to getting the tar.bz installed.
One step at a time.

Last edited:
I'm looking all over this page and I don't see what to click on to download gtkhtml.

Does anyone see where I'd download it?

See the image below:
2020-10-10@11-32-09_2646x1024-edit.png

Clicking on the green "Code" button will make a little box pop up which gives you the URL for the git repo that will allow you to clone the repo, or you have the option of downloading the archive as a .zip.

In order to clone the repo with git, you just copy the URL to your clipboard and then use the git clone command and paste the URL for the repo.
So in this case, you'd use:
Bash:
git clone https://github.com/chopins/gtkhtml.git

Otherwise, download and extract the .zip file.

Personally, when getting things from github, I prefer to clone the repo using git, rather than using the .zip option. If you use git, you can update the repo at any time by issuing a git pull command. Whereas with the .zip - you'll have to download a fresh zip in order to update. The zips don't usually contain any of the git history for the repo. Only the code.

However you get the code on your machine - the next step is to follow any instructions for building and installing from source. Sometimes all of the instructions will be in README type files. Other times the project may have a wiki on their github with complete build instructions. And if you're lucky - they'll have both.

I haven't looked at this particular project in any detail. But the instructions should be there somewhere!

@Alexzee Installing it from AUR is easier, I thought you used Manjaro?

@JasKinasis I can finally now see what your DWM setup looks like :D

See the image below:
View attachment 7522
Clicking on the green "Code" button will make a little box pop up which gives you the URL for the git repo that will allow you to clone the repo, or you have the option of downloading the archive as a .zip.

In order to clone the repo with git, you just copy the URL to your clipboard and then use the git clone command and paste the URL for the repo.
So in this case, you'd use:
Bash:
git clone https://github.com/chopins/gtkhtml.git

Otherwise, download and extract the .zip file.

Personally, when getting things from github, I prefer to clone the repo using git, rather than using the .zip option. If you use git, you can update the repo at any time by issuing a git pull command. Whereas with the .zip - you'll have to download a fresh zip in order to update. The zips don't usually contain any of the git history for the repo. Only the code.

However you get the code on your machine - the next step is to follow any instructions for building and installing from source. Sometimes all of the instructions will be in README type files. Other times the project may have a wiki on their github with complete build instructions. And if you're lucky - they'll have both.

I haven't looked at this particular project in any detail. But the instructions should be there somewhere!
Thanks for the instructions!

@Alexzee Installing it from AUR is easier, I thought you used Manjaro?

@JasKinasis I can finally now see what your DWM setup looks like :D
I do use Manjaro however; I'm in the process of installing dependencies on a LMDE system and a Elementary OS Hera 5.1 system.

Almost every dependency APT is unable to locate.

This is not working out as well as I had hoped.
If I have to download every pkg from GitHub or individual pkg's from Ubuntu it will be very hard to do.

I've got 16 more dependencies to check on.

a-System-Product-Name:~$ git clone https://github.com/karlkleinpaste/biblesync.git

Command 'git' not found, but can be installed with:

sudo apt install git

-System-Product-Name:~$ sudo apt install git clone https://github.com/karlkleinpaste/biblesync.git
[sudo] password for cora:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package clone
E: Unable to locate package https://github.com/karlkleinpaste
E: Couldn't find any package by glob 'https://github.com/karlkleinpaste'
E: Couldn't find any package by regex 'https://github.com/karlkleinpaste'

Using git clone and the url dit was not found.

Looks like I'm throwing the towel in on this one.

I can't find most of the dependencies to install them and APT is unable to locate the packages.

They are:
chmcmd, gtk 2.0 or gtk 3.0, webkit2, appstream-util, biblesync, dbus-glib, biblesync, desktop-file-validate, gconfmm, gtkhtml, intitool, itstool, libgst, libuuid, libxml2, minizip sword 1.8.1, xmllint and yelp-build.

Also apt-cache search <name of pkg> doesn't return anything either.

Thanks for trying to help me JasKinasis-:)

Last edited:
I’ll try to take a quick look an see if I can create a script to get all of the dependencies and build this for you.

It shouldn’t be that difficult..... (Famous last words!)

I’ll try to take a quick look an see if I can create a script to get all of the dependencies and build this for you.

It shouldn’t be that difficult..... (Famous last words!)
That would be really cool if you could do that!
Thanks

Hmmm - I can't build it on Debian Stable either. The only thing I'm missing is libgtkhtml4 and libgtkhtml4-dev.......... AFAICT, I have all the rest of the dependencies installed. I can't seem to find the source code for libgtkhtml anywhere. The version you found in one of your previous posts in this thread appears to be a much older version.
gtkhtml was originally part of GNOME and it's not even in GNOME's Gitlab repository - which is also NOT a good sign!

Anyway - the progress I made in the hour or so I've spent looking at this - I kicked it off with these three commands:
Bash:
git clone https://github.com/crosswire/xiphos.git
cd xiphos
sudo apt-get build-dep xiphos xiphos-data
Above cloned the current github code for xiphos, cd's into the xiphos directory and then pulls down the build-dependencies for the version of xiphos in the Debian repos.

Then I tried the build command for xiphos as per the instructions at: https://xiphos.org/download/
e.g.
Bash:
cmake -S . -B build -DCMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=Release -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr -DGTKHTML=ON

And got an error about appstream-util.
So I installed that via apt, ran the cmake command again and it complained about yelp-build missing. After a quick search of apt, I found yelp and yelp-tools - so I installed those.

Ran cmake again and got an error about minizip missing. So I installed minizip and libminizip-dev.

Ran cmake again and got an error about libgtkhtml-4 missing - which is as far as I got.
Online I seem to have run into a brick wall finding gtkhtml4 for Debian.

The version of gtkhtml you found in your earlier post looks like a much older version of gtkhtml. And it also looks like Debian dropped libgtkhtml4 as a package in the current Debian stable branch - which means it's probably unmaintained/orphaned. They don't drop packages for no reason.
If it's not in Debian - it won't be in Mint or Ubuntu (unless somebody has picked it up and it's in Debian unstable, or testing)

So far, for the missing dependencies that weren't installed via apt build-dep - the ones I've tracked down can be installed via the following command:
Bash:
sudo apt install appstream-util yelp yelp-tools minizip libminizip-dev

Looking at the main page for xiphos (which was updated on the 20th September 2020) - it mentions using this ppa:
So if you use Ubuntu, or a Ubuntu derived distro (like a Ubuntu based edition of Mint) - on 18.04, or 20.04 - you should just be able to install a backported, pre-built binary of xiphos.

The INSTALL.md file in the xiphos source code also mentions that gtkhtml is unavailable..... But it still says about building the program yourself..... which will be tricky if nobody knows where to find the source code for one of it's flipping dependencies!
Crazy!

Otherwise - maybe look to something like Arch or Fedora?! IDK.
I'm not sure what to suggest on this! :/

I'll take a look at the dependencies for the github version of gtkhtml that you found - but it doesn't look too hopeful. If the project has been unmaintained for 6 years - it's not looking good!

It seems like the xiphos devs need to have a bit of a rethink/redesign and try to remove, or replace the dependency on gtkhtml.

I can take a look through Fedora between now and the end of my weekend, if it will help?

Alex, what is the oldest version of the product that you will find acceptable?

Wiz

A quick Google reveals that Fedora 32 has Xiphos 4.2.1 available to it, released May this year.

When I look at it, I can try converting the .rpm to .deb using Alien and see if it gets indigestion.

Wiz

UPDATE:
Ignore my last post. I've successfully managed to configure, build and install the libgtkhtml library from the github link posted in Alex's earlier post..... There doesn't appear to be anything to build a debian package (or an rpm, or any other packages), so rather than building a package and installing that - I've just installed it from source on my machine.

And now the current xiphos source-code is also fully configured and building as I type!

And I can report that it has successfully built. But I'm not going to try to install my build of xiphos because I've just noticed that there is no uninstall script in it's build-system - which seems more than a little bit devious!

A search for "uninstall" in the xiphos code-base yields a message that has been translated into all languages:
"You've just uninstalled your last bible!"
::Rolls eyes!::
I'm not installing something I can't cleanly uninstall!! Ha ha!

Give me a short while and I'll try to put together a recipe that will hopefully get you on the way to building your own version of xiphos.

However - I will say upfront - that my Debian system is a little dirty. I already had a lot of other development tools and development files already installed on my machine before installing some of these extra libraries tonight.

So if you get any errors about missing libraries after using my recipe to build gtkhtml - it means that they were things that I already had installed that you will need to install too. But we can work that out! It shouldn't take long if there are any that I've missed.

I'll take a quick look at the link dependencies for the gtkhtml library and will try to make a complete list of dev packages that will need to be installed.

But if there are any - we already know that they'll be available in the repos, so it's not a problem. So once I've posted my recipe - If you let me know about any errors about missing dependencies at any step and we can get them added to the recipe!
I won't call it a script, it will be a series of commands that you will need to check are working at each step of the way!

Last edited:
Stirling efforts, Jas ;)

Members online