Repeatedly Crashing

dustin200183

Reaction score
Credits
I am new to Ubuntu and have built out a system that was initially working great. Lately, however, it has been crashing daily. I have updated the BIOS and system to no resolve. Could anyone look at the attached logs and give me some guidance as to what's going on?

Attachments

• 1.txt
    4.7 KB · Views: 434
  • 2.txt
    4.6 KB · Views: 301
  • 3.txt
    4.2 KB · Views: 339
  • 4.txt
    5.5 KB · Views: 287

For one, I'd suggest running top from a terminal and observing it for awhile. Especially watch the %CPU and %MEM values.... these would indicate which apps may be too demanding of your system.

Looking at your logs, I would guess that "Tracker" may be your problem. See these articles here and here to see if you agree.

It would be interesting to see what happened before this.
Code:
15:10:09 systemd-journal: Journal stopped
15:10:09 kernel: Sending SIGTERM to remaining processes...
15:10:09 kernel: Syncing filesystems and block devices.
15:10:09 systemd: Shutting down.
So it would be more useful if you could post the whole syslog file of a recent crash, but doesn't seem like a crash since the kernel is still telling all remaining process to stop.

Try to disable Tracker for a while and test your system for a few days. Tracker seems to do funny stuff on your system according to the logs...
Cheers !
Eddy.

I have disabled Tracker as recommended, but my system still crashes intermittently. I have run Memtest86 with no errors, but found that running Prime95 frequently and quickly crashes my system. Attached are two isolated syslogs of these crashes. Can anyone take a look and offer any advise?

Attachments

• Crash 1.txt
    355.7 KB · Views: 390
  • Crash 2.txt
    357.6 KB · Views: 365
I don't see anything that points to crashing. When a crash happens there is usually missing time in the syslog file and then you see the system automatically rebooting, I don't see that happening here. Can you explain a in bit more detail what happens when your system "Crashes", what were you doing, what doesn't respond, what do you seen on the screen etc?

Occasionally and seemingly randomly, the monitor goes completely black. Sometimes its a few minutes after booting, but sometimes it's days. I frequently remote connect to this computer via TeamViewer, but it will not connect when this happens. The computer appears to remain powered on, but won't do anything until a hard reset.

Around what time in the log files you attached does the crash/freeze occur, and can you share your /var/log/Xorg.0.log file as wel of when the crash/freeze happens?

I see this error in Crash2.txt - on line 3303 Jun 26 09:51:53 DeepThought gnome-system-mo[4487]: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module" Followed by Jun 26 09:51:53 DeepThought kernel: [ 75.354252] audit: type=1400 audit(1624715513.683:64): apparmor="DENIED" operation="open" profile="snap.gnome-system-monitor.gnome-system-monitor" name="/run/mount/utab" pid=4487 comm="gnome-system-mo" requested_mask="r" denied_mask="r" fsuid=1000 ouid=0 and finally Jun 26 09:51:53 DeepThought gnome-system-mo[4487]: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"

To fix this -
Code:
sudo apt install libcanberra-gtk-module libcanberra-gtk3-module libcanberra-gtk-module:i386

I see this error in Crash2.txt - on line 3303 Jun 26 09:51:53 DeepThought gnome-system-mo[4487]: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module" Followed by Jun 26 09:51:53 DeepThought kernel: [ 75.354252] audit: type=1400 audit(1624715513.683:64): apparmor="DENIED" operation="open" profile="snap.gnome-system-monitor.gnome-system-monitor" name="/run/mount/utab" pid=4487 comm="gnome-system-mo" requested_mask="r" denied_mask="r" fsuid=1000 ouid=0 and finally Jun 26 09:51:53 DeepThought gnome-system-mo[4487]: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"

To fix this -
Code:
sudo apt install libcanberra-gtk-module libcanberra-gtk3-module libcanberra-gtk-module:i386
I doubt that a missing sound module would cause system freezes but it's worth a try.

I see this error on Crash1.txt - line 2267 Jun 26 09:40:51 DeepThought udisksd[2815]: Failed to load the 'mdraid' libblockdev plugin

Code:
sudo apt install libblockdev-mdraid2

Members online