Removing Windows 10 (DBAN) and using Linux

CherryFive

Reaction score
Credits
Hi there and thanks in advance to anyone who reads this,
I've always been a Windows user. Last year I bought a new Laptop, a Dell Inspiron 15. It came pre-loaded with Windows 10, which is what I'm using to type this message.

Since day 1, I have hated this system with a serious passion. I hate, hate, hate, hate Windows 10. I want to kill my computer. I swear to god there are many times at home where Win 10 is jamming up and my youtube radio dies, and I have to power my free Obamaphone to play youtube to get me through the quiet lol. It's pretty sad that a crappy phone is more alive than my computer.

Anyway, back in the old XP days, I had a Dell laptop that came with the Re-install disks, and the product key/code was written on the bottom of the machine. If the computer was slow and buggy, I could just run DBAN, completely kill the hard-drive, re-install XP and have a like-new computer.

Of course, Windows 10 sucks such a giant egg that it didn't come with install disks even though I paid a lot more for this computer.

So I'm just done with Windows and their stupid crap. There are 10 million other reasons I hate Windows 10, but I'm sure you've all heard about its bugs.

I'm not computer literate, but realize I need to take action. This has become a serious war in my mind, and I'm tired of these corporations sticking it to me. I want Microsoft out of my life for good, and I want any trace of its shitty software off of my computer.

The problem is, I know how to use DBAN and wipe my computer, but after that I'm lost. I've heard I can just burn a Linux disk, but the question is A) What Linux should I get? I just want a super light, quick OS that is bare bones.

B) Will the Linux software connect to my Wifi hardware? Does all the hardware like keys typing work right off the bat, or does that have to be coded in? I keep reading that Linux is "good if you like writing code". Really? I don't really like that. I just want an OS that connects to my Wifi, I can cruise online and do some typing for God's sake. I don't know how this computer technology got so out of hand in terms of usability for the average dullard like me. Thanks well in advance for any tips so I can get this Windows nonsense off of my machine!

First bear in mind that your warranty will be likely voided due to removing the Windows 10 installation.

Now that in mind, next up is which type you want. Linux Mint is probably your best bet as it's both user and hardware friendly (meaning it have the most array of hardware that would works with it). Though I am sure there a few other types that may be worth the look.

Then as far as hardware goes even though Linux Mint is quite reliable in this department some hardware just won't works out of the box. That is why I "test" this on any pre built systems by playing around in the installation (LiveCD (that what it called even if your using your USB to do the installation).

Before you stick it in though, you will have to boot into the BIOS/UFEI (or whatever the new one is called). To do this just search "(insert laptop brand and model type) how to change boot order" then it will tell you. Do that then shut it down once more. Put in the boot able stick that you made and then fire it up again to start the installation. At this point you then do the testing as above.

If Wifi won't works though you should be able to buy a dongle from a place like Panda Wireless to get the job done. I can confirm that both a low end and high end model (I THINK the PAU05 and the PAU09 for sure) both does works on Linux Mint 18.3 on kernel 4.15.0.43.

I won't be back awhile but hopefully it give you a start or at least some help!

How much RAM have you got Cherry?

(Wizard appears in a puff of smoke)

G'day and welcome to linux.org :). I am from DownUnder so I will be around at different times.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

#1 gets my vote for best rant of 2019 :D:cool: back soon

#1....best rant of 2019.......
aWZkM0E.jpg

....and we hear some goodies here !!!

questions questions ....lots of them. You see, we REALLY like to make sure you are content with WIPING win 10.

There are SO many variables

Just to make you think a bit....

1 What pictures, music, documents do you NEED to save from win 10 ?
(if there are any, copy and paste or drag and drop them to an external hard drive or usb stick)
(if it is music...I can show you how to download any piece of music from youtube, absolutely free. )

2 If you find that Linux is not your cup of tea....simply download win 10 again....and install it. It will wipe Linux itself...no need for dban etc etc. You will need to have your product key handy etc

3 I am noting that you do not wish to dual boot Linux with win 10. You Just want the LINUX OS on your pc.

4 @wizardfromoz will no doubt be back here shortly with a lengthy tome for you to digest. Read all our suggestions and then make a clear decision

Your major decision will be which Linux

wizard (Chris) will guide you through sucking the info from your current win 10....what hardware is present, any partitions on the hard drive etc etc

WHICH ONE.
Linux Mint is the easiest and probably the best supported. It comes with THREE DE's (desktop environments).......which simply means there are three different looks !!....they will each have slightly different icons and the menu will look different on each one. Dont Panic......they are ALL quite familiar to windows users.

the three are : linux mint cinnamon....I run this...it does pretty much everything
linux mint mate....i believe this is wizards favourite.....i have no idea why
linux mint xfce....lightweight. very fast. not as many 'features ' as the other two

Just to give you an idea......if you chose linux mint cinnamon....and then thought you would like to try linux mint xfce...????....what to do ???/........just download the xfce, and try it !!!!....install it just the same is the cinnamon......they are Free

ok
enough rant for now. More later

4 @wizardfromoz will no doubt be back here shortly with a lengthy tome for you to digest. Read all our suggestions and then make a clear decision

Your major decision will be which Linux

wizard (Chris) will guide you through sucking the info from your current win 10....what hardware is present, any partitions on the hard drive etc etc

My ears are burning, but I have to scoot for my night imminently.

Take a look at these from distrowatch.com 's Page Hit Ranking, and we'll talk more on my tomorrow - you may have to scroll a little

CQNYeeA.png

Interesting is that Manjaro has been clocking the figures of Mint and Ubuntu combined for 12 months now, further, MX-Linux (currently on 18) is about to overtake Manjaro.

I use 8 out of the top 10 (I run 60 - 80 Linux on two rigs).

Later

Wizard

I can tell you guys are real genuine and nice. I can't believe the overwhelming level of help I got just asking on the forum! As far as best rant for 2019, hmm, there's still time for someone to rant better lol. You should have seen the cursing/expletive lines I took out before posting it!

Anyway, I really do have a problem with Win 10, my words were real. So I went down the rabbit hole last night reading about Linux, and then I realized I have a few major computer uses I never listed in my initial post. There are four programs I forgot to list I need support for:

-Gimp (seems to have a Linux build)
-Reaper (has a Linux build...though it's quite new..)
-My external sound-card, which uses the UR22 Steinberg driver (possibly works on Linux?)
-Scorecloud (which I have to use for my composition class. No Linux build).

So, basically I need to really keep doing more reading. Reaper seems it will work, but the last two seem to be a snag. I didn't realize using a DAW on Linux would be such a nightmare...I assumed Reaper and Linux would be bros. But evidently not. They FINALLY just released a Linux version last year, and it's said to be "experimental".

I think the next option I need to look into is throwing my computer in the trash. Anyone agree?

Seriously thanks for all the help. I wish the reel-to-reel tape forum I'm on was this dang helpful!

-------------------------------
John
https://soundcloud.com/johns-music-2

Hey John :)

GIMP is, effectively Linux, it is free and open-source software (aka FOSS), which just happens to be cross-platform, you will find it everywhere in Linux. Its history makes for a good read -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GIMP

I'll take a look at the others tomorrow my time.

Cheers

Chris

-My external sound-card, which uses the UR22 Steinberg driver (possibly works on Linux?)

Likely - support for it was introduced to the Linux kernel with v3.16 or so - we are around 4.15 nowadays. Vendor name reference will be Yamaha.

Scorecloud - no ... might run under WINE.

Wiz

I didn't realize using a DAW on Linux would be such a nightmare
There are some free/libre DAW's available for Linux:
The main two of note are LMMS (Linux Multi-Media System) and Ardour.

Ardour is an excellent hard-disk recorder type program - more or less equivalent to Pro-tools, Cubase, Logic etc. Great for recording music and recording bands, but not so good for composition, or transcription.

Whereas LMMS is more of a pattern based program, with some built in synths - I think you can use external instruments too - but it is more suitable for dance or electronica type compositions. Can be used in conjunction with Ardour - export your tracks as a .wav and then import them into Ardour to overdub vocals or additional instruments.

There are also composition tools like Rosegarden - which can use additional software like lilypond to output sheet music to PDF files. And various other virtual instruments like Hydrogen (drum machine), Guitarix (virtual guitar stack), tux-guitar which is a guitar tab editor/player. Drumburp - a drum-tab editor and player.

You might also want to look at installing JACK (Jack Audio Connection Kit) - which can be used to route audio and MIDI between hardware, software and virtual devices.

Most of the Linux music production software is JACK enabled and there are additional JACK plugins you can download (auto-tune, various meters/monitors, virtual keyboard, synths etc.) - plus various collections of audio plugins/filters to use with Ardour or LMMS in various formats - e.g. LADSPA, VST's etc.

There are also a number of Linux distros geared towards creating music.
e.g. Ubuntu Studio, Musix, KXStudio, AVLinux, Apodio, ioGnuLinux, artistx, openartist etc. etc.
These all come with a lot of audio/music production software pre-installed and configured. Several of them also include a lot of free graphics and video software too - so you have a complete pipeline for creating almost any kind of multimedia content.

Well gentlemen I decided to try to perform a dual boot just to see what Linux was like. I followed this guy's directions and wound up with Linux 19.1 Mint (
)

Anyhow, there is a problem, and the problem is that when I try to go to Firefox, I'm mercilessly bounced out of getting online. It asks for user name and password. When I punch that in according to what I created when installing Mint, it rejects it out of hand, and to make matters worse, I can't even X out of the program. I made a short youtube video to show exactly what happens after a fresh install:

Well, if anyone has any ideas about what I can do, I'd be all ears! I'm sad to say that without internet Linux is somewhat useless to me, so for now I'm still using Windows 10 :-(
I'm okay with using another web browser and saying goodbye to firefox, but I don't even know how to install another web browser! I've tried to attach an image of the "Authentication Required" box I get, but it won't attach.

It says,

"Authentication Required

http://linuxmint.com is requesting your username and password. The side says: "NETGEAR WN3000RPv3"

The question is username and password to what? Why is this happening? Launching a web browser should be easy 123, no?

Thanks again for any support on the issue. Take care.

Firefox itself requires no authentication. So the authentication box is for something else. In the beginning of the video you tell us it's connected to the wifi but we can't see if your network status actually says connected and has traffic flowing. Even idle there should be some network traffic. When you connected, did you have to enter the password to your wifi network? Is it possible that this popup box is asking you to authenticate for connecting to your Netgear home wifi, like arochester is asking above?
To install most anything (but not everything), including a different browser, you can use Synaptic. Unless Mint stopped installing it, it should be installed by default. It'll ask you to authenticate using your local user name and password. Here you can use the search field to look for specific apps. You can try installing Chrome or Chromium (open source version of Chrome). But this will only work if you are actually connected to the Internet.

Thanks guys, the feedback means much.

Our house has a few different connections for the internet. Although the icon claimed I was connected, simply switching to another user solved my problem as presto, it worked.

So, my initial thoughts on Linux, here we go. To me, it's a dream. I feel sort of giddy like a frigging child. I'm almost ready to cross that line and delete windows, I just need to handle some loose ends like file transfers and other odds and ends.

This has been a trip for me. I say this as a non-technical person...I fail to see any difference from Windows to Linux in the sense that I forgot I was on Linux multiple times. To me, the appearance is just as acceptable as Windows 10. Appearance was never my concern anyways. I'd accept an OS that looks like Windows 95, I just want it to work.

And this is the part where Linux seems to be very cool. It works well. My harddrive sounds like it runs on gasoline when Windows 10 is going; With the Linux system, the hard drive is quiet like I want it to be. It's like I feel I'm using Windows, except it works. It's a sad reality that Windows can't even do what it wishes it could.

I downloaded Reaper for Linux, and when I open it up, it opens in 2 seconds flat, literally. With Windows, it seems to take forever to open.

I switched back to Windows 10 earlier today and was flabbergasted to find Chrome struggling to breath; it literally was taking minutes for pages to load. I mean it is just absolutely hysterical how slow this Windows 10 is. It's bugging me out. When I bought the machine new, it seemed quick, but literally after 1 or 2 months of normal use it started gradually slowing down.

Of course I've only used Linux for a grand total of a few hours so I shouldn't rush to an opinion, but I hear so many more positives about Linux when it comes to quick snappy operating systems.

I was shocked to find out that Linux seemed to automatically detect my Steinberg UR22 external audio card. Sound was playing out of my speaker right off the bat. I never installed the Yamaha driver like I did in windows, somehow Linux just did it for me.

Finally the thing I'm trying to sort out is how to get Reaper to see the Steinberg audio route because it is not. Does it seem like this might be a better question for an audio forum?

You may find some help HERE for the Steinberg issue....in particular "1 - Setting Up and Getting Started"...input aliasing and audio midisetup and all sorts of strange sounding things....

if there is an audio forum that may be your best bet.

alternatively I am not sure if @JasKinasis has any knowledge of this stuff (forum member)

Welcome to Linux.

Business first, then pleasure :)

simply switching to another user solved my problem as presto, it worked.

1. If you are happy with the setup, and it survives a reboot or two, then make the acquaintance of Timeshift, which is installed on your Linux.

I have a Thread here

https://www.linux.org/threads/timeshift-similar-solutions-safeguard-recover-your-linux.15241/

... which may provide some insight. Ask any questions on Timeshift there.

As Brian (@Condobloke ) says "Timeshift is like Windows Restore, but it is better, ... and it actually works!!"

2. Don't forget to launch your Firewall, at Terminal (Ctrl-Alt-t) type and enter

Code:
sudo ufw enable

Between the software firewall and one at your router, many of us Linuxers (myself included) feel no need for AV nor anti-malware addons, but it is your choice, from options available.

3. If you feel like it, swing over to https://www.linux.org/forums/member-introductions.141/ and say Hi and meet a few of The Gang, and tell us a little of the CherryFive story :)

Finally the thing I'm trying to sort out is how to get Reaper to see the Steinberg audio route because it is not. Does it seem like this might be a better question for an audio forum?

https://www.linux.org/forums/linux-audio-video.147/ - is the best spot if you wish to pursue this further. If you come up with a Thread title, I can always move your question, and Brian's input, there, if you like.

Pleasure

It is always a pleasure to "hear" uplifting feedback such as you have given.

We have a member, @Fishy , whom has an avatar as below, which represents a kid in a candy store or toy store

jyY4Ffr.png

... and he is one of many whom feel that way about Linux. Again, Brian and I are a couple of those. Brian and I are Aussies, but you don't have to be an Aussie to recognise a good deal, and Linux is the Real McCoy.

Cheers

Wizard

CherryFive, I suggest that you don't worry about wiping out your Windows for some time. Occasionally there are apps that you need and just can't find for Linux or can't run using WINE. While WINE Is Not Emulation it provides a Windows Layer for Windows apps to run on Linux. It helps a lot but it's not perfect. What I would suggest is to you Gparted to shrink the Windows partition and use the new freespace for the OS that matters. I bought a Dell laptop a year ago and wiped out the WIndows partition and the recovery partition info. I did just fine that way but there were some Dell utilities (i.e. bios update) that I needed and couldn't use. I just had them replace my drive and this time I'm keeping the Windows stuff but just shrank the partition to a little more than what's in use. You could also, if required, create a Windows VM that you could use for any such apps. Most would work fine this way. I'm just saying as a new Linux user don't totally throw out Windows, just not yet. A month from now you may KNOW you don't need it, then do it. Just my 2 cents.

Just my 2 cents.

It is a good 2 cents, IMO :)

Make friends with AlternativeTo https://alternativeto.net/

If for example you Google

alternative to MS Office

... you will find its reference within the first few search results. Libre Office will be the predominant answer but there are others, and ones which are cross-platform can be tried under your Windows environment to see if they suit, before committing under Linux.

Cheers

Wiz

Using windows 10 in VM (virtual machine) is a piece of cake...easy. You do need to allocate a reasonable amount of space within the VM for win 10, because it is a space hog.......therefore your Hard drive would need to have sufficient capacity to do that. You would likely need around 60 GB (maybe a bit less) for it to function ok.

I used win 10 in a VM for many months...until I just did not need it anymore....the forum I attended to win 10 problems on became inundated with BSOD's....and I have no time for solving those particular problems...especially in windows 10.........So I wiped the VM and it has been plain sailing with Linux mint ever since. A huge breathe of relief followed.

MS office, can easily be replaced...either OpenOffice or Libre Office. Try them both in Linux. There are others but those two are probably the main contenders.

Using Linux..??....I can actually RELAX in front of the screen...with the SURE knowledge that nothing nasty is going to happen. (If something weird does happen....I yawn....open Timeshift....click on a suitable snapshot....click on restore...yawn again....and go and make a cuppa. By the time I get back my pc has already dusted itself off and is ready to roar again.

SO.....what's not to like ?

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.