Remote support program like teamviewer

Gert-Vanhaerents

Reaction score
Credits
I am looking for a free (also for professional use) remote support program like teamviewer.
What i need?
- We have clients with Linux or Windows, they call when they have a problem. Then the client must start a program (like now with teamviewer) and report us their ID and password. So the program must verry easy to use (on the client side) on our side it must be good working. It cal also that the client must go to one of our webpages to download the client version. Then it must not be difficult to start the program, it will be best to have a client program that can directly start without installing.
- The client can be a Linux or a Windows computer, so i need a program that works with Linux and Windows.
- The host (our computer) can also be a Linux or Windows computer. Most of our computers are with Linux.
- Now we are using teamviewer, we have payed 550 euro's for teamviewer and a year later they say, oh you need a new version (also 550 euro). And now they working with a monthly version of 36,90 euro in a month. So it's 442 euro's in one year !! Teamviewer is working good and is very simply to start in Linux or Windows. But it's to exensive. We can not use the free version because we have to mutch clients. Now we are working with Linux Mint with Teamviewer 12, but teamviewer is not happy that it's still working. On Windows it's not working anymore in 2 years ago. (but it was a lifetime purchase).
In Windows (host and client are Windows), we have used several program's that are free and are good working. But this tools doesn't works on Linux, and the most computers here are working with Linux, so it's mostly unusable.
The most times we have Linux on our computers and the clients have Windows 10 or 11.

For clarity: the clients are our clients (we want support these clients so we must see and edit or support this client computers). The client must not see our computer but we must see the clients computers.

Also important is that we only must see the client computer when we have the client on the phone so they can report his ID and password. We must not see al of our clients allways, just the time when the client want it and ask it to us.

What we have already tested:
- Teamviewer: working good but verry expensive
- Anydesk: working good but verry expensive
- ThightVNC: free but working to slow

And on Windows (client and host):
- Ammyy: was working good but is recognized as virus with Norton antivirus and is also only working on Windows
- Ultraviewer: working good on Windows is totaly free also for business use but only working from Windows to Windows
- Distant Desktop: totaly free of use also for business but only Windows

We use so many programs on Linux now, all completely free. It is therefore very unfortunate that for such a thing we have to use a paid program in Linux. Where we can use Windows a completely free program

Last edited:

Teamviewer seems like a good choice. I use BeeBEEP to transfer files to my computers.

I've found this list of FOSS Remote Desktop apps:

TigerVNC
Rdesktop
FreeRDP
Remmina
Apache Guacamole

I personally use Anydesk. But I'm no IT professional, so I use it for free.

Members online