Reliable plug-and-play-ish extra monitor options 18.04

TimTheNoob

Reaction score
Credits
Hi all

I'd like to set up a small second monitor for messaging and notifications etc while I do other stuff on the big screen. I intend to buy a small cheap monitor and adaptors and need advice on what to look for generally.

However I can only do very basic troubleshooting so am looking for something that won't require too much tweaking and coding, and especially don't want to spend a bomb on hardware if I can't get it to work!

So the question is: What input/output types, cable and adaptor combinations are well supported and most likely to work as a second monitor straight off the shelf?

Here's what we have to work with:

18.04 on an Intel NUC i5-8259U with integrated graphics (Coffeelake 3x8 GT3)

Available output ports are:
  • 1x Usb-c (prefer not to use this because there's only one and I use it for other things)
  • 4x USB 2.0 and 3.0 (preferred)
  • 1x HDMI (in use for the main monitor and as I understand I can't split to two separate displays, only cloned displays, right?)
  • Any other types via a docking hub, notwithstanding that my budget is not huge.

Input types to consider:
  • USB monitors seem to be quite expensive but if I can find a cheap one would need way less cabling.
  • Old school VGA or DVI etc monitors are cheap and plentiful although the adaptors seem like they may be trouble, any thoughts?
  • USB to HDMI, from my reading it seems that I'd run into driver issues, no?
  • Literally anything could be considered. What works? What's easy?
Thanks in advance. Let the games begin!

PS: my existing monitor actually has two HDMI ports, I assume that piggybacking the second monitor off the first wouldn't work, at best creating a mirrored monitor, can anyone confirm that?

PS: my existing monitor actually has two HDMI ports, I assume that piggybacking the second monitor off the first wouldn't work, at best creating a mirrored monitor, can anyone confirm that?
That likely wouldn't work.

This product on Amazon claims to be Ubuntu-compatible (which would imply compatibility with other distros as well).

However, I would probably buy a USB-C hub, since USB-C natively supports graphics. You should be able to find a cheap one with HDMI and USB-C (for example this product on Amazon for $25).

Members online

Latest posts