Reinstallation of Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

Zae

Reaction score
Credits
I've recently upgraded from 18.04 LTS to 20.04 LTS through in built update manager. But this 20.04 LTS ver is giving me some upgrade problems. So, I want to do a live USB stick reinstall.

In case where there is the 'Erase Ubuntu 20.04 LTS and reinstall', if I do this, does all my earlier partitions get lost or this new Ubuntu reinstalls in the same partitions, without alternating or deleting any partitions?

Does any of my files are deleted or not?
Sorry, I'm new to this.

IIRC, All your past partitions related to 20.04 Ubuntu should be deleted. All files that you had will also be deleted.

I thought the Ubuntu installer had an option to install in a specific partition and keep your data (user files). Not sure if I am remembering this correctly. It might depend on how you have your partitions set up. I would have to walk through the installer myself to jog my memory. Not sure if 'downgrading' or going back to an earlier version would cause unwanted issues.

Typically Kubuntu and Ubuntu will have a "Something else" install option or a "manual install" option. Both are about the same. You can go through each partition and indicate to use it, format it, changes the size of it, change the filesystem used on it, and other options.

When I do a "clean" install, I first decide whether to keep my /home partition. If you don't have /home on its own partition, then your only option is to backup your data files under /home before going any further. If you have a separate /home partition, and you want to keep it as is, select the partition, select the change button, confirm the size, the filesystem, the directory name (/home), then DO NOT select the Format check box, just save the partition and go on to the next.

Again, when do a clean install, my / partition is going to be wiped clean. You do this by highlighting the partition, select the change button, confirm the size, the filesystem, the directory name (/), and then DO check the Format check box, and save the partition.

Then look for the prompt a little further down the page where it asks where to put the Grub boot files. If you have a UEFI system with an EFI partition (typically /dev/sda1, but it doesn't have to be), then make sure that Grub entry has the /dev/ name of the EFI partition, check all your work so far, and move on to the next step. The installer at that point will make all the changes you indicated.

That's a lot of words, but it's a simple process and decision.

Members online