REINSTALL LINUX MINT (SYLVIA)

Dennis Burge

Reaction score
Credits
Dont know if this is the place to post but here goes. I need instruction on reinstalling from original CD from Linux. I am on a Gateway Lap Top with Windos 10 OS which has locked up with no communication with it. I just put the new Linux Mint on the drive and I was in business. So many mistakes in useing Mint, all my fault, has rendered it as somewhat unstable. I want to start over. I have changed the boot priority to cd drive and tried and it appears that I am running from that cd with no offer to replace existing mint os. What ya think?

If you made the first install (we'll call it A), just do the same thing again, into the same place and you will get a second install (we'll call it B).

A will be totally overwritten by B.

Be sure to remove the CD and to reboot.

I have changed the boot priority to cd drive and tried and it appears that I am running from that cd with no offer to replace existing mint os.

If you indeed booted up on the DVD, then you will see an icon on the desktop to "Install Linux Mint." I'm pretty sure this is the only way you can install or reinstall Mint... by booting in "live mode" first. If you don't see this icon, then you are probably still booting into the Mint you already have installed. When you change the boot priority in BIOS, you have to "save changes".... or else you didn't change anything. You don't have to change the boot priority though, you should also be able to boot from the DVD when starting the computer and then hitting Escape or some F-key (like F10 or F12) before GRUB starts.

When you boot the DVD and launch the installer, you can replace the existing Mint, as @arochester suggests, but you will have to choose the "Something else" option in the partitioning part of the installation so that you can pick the same partition that Mint is currently installed into. If you choose "Install alongside" the other operating systems, then you will have 2 copies of Mint instead of replacing it. If you want to get rid of Windows and have Mint only, then you can choose "Use entire disk" during the partitioning, and it will erase both Windows 10 and your first Mint install. Erasing Windows and using the entire disk is the easiest method, but you did not say that is what you want to do.

You must use care at the partitioning part of the install. The partition "layout" and how to use it is not always clear to new users. There are many sites that describe the install process and include pictures (like this one) but your situation is a little different in that you will install into an existing Linux partition instead of installing into "free space." Those instructions also mention creating SWAP space (which you already have, so no need to do it again or create more). And those instructions also describe creating a separate Root and Home partition, but I would advise against that for new users.... just use the single large ext4 partition that Mint already created for you, and be sure to designate it as "/" (root).

Cheers

Ok, I will follow your instructions and give you a response. Thank you so much for your time.

When you are able (this can wait until after you have reinstalled successfully if you want).....tell us if you have a separate external drive connectible via usb,.... or a second hard drive in your PC

Ok, I will follow your instructions and give you a response. Thank you so much for your time.

Take your time, and back out of it if you have any questions... but you would have to back out before the partitioner completes. Once you take all the partitioning steps, it will ask you one last time if you're sure, and then it will write the changes to your hard drive. It is unforgiving after that if you made a mistake.

If you need any explanation on how Linux references the partitions, you might want to go over that first. If you can take a photo or screen shot of you partitions, then we could explain it better.

Cheers

You'd be better doing an ISO to a USB drive as it will load quicker. There really is no alternative but to go to the live addition there you will see the install mint as a cd drive. Start the install and there you will get the choice to install a fresh version or install the version you have and if you still have it windows. My advice is always to do a complete fresh install as the will remove any problems with you have with it. Also if you don't need windows then remove that. While doing the install, include 3rd party things as it saves time later. I have always found it best just to let Mint do it's things with partitions if you are not experienced enough. When you put your installation media you will get the chance the repair Mint - try that first if you want to do so, that might be quicker - I have found that just doing clean install solves all the problems and that is what I have done in the past

Members online