Regarding Linux Flavour

• Thread starter modakmandar1986
  • Start date
M

modakmandar1986

Hi,

Can anyone tell me which Linux Flavour is used in IT Industry now a days for Software Developer(Oracle PL/SQL Developer/DBA) platform?
Because I wanted to install on my Laptop.

Thanks,
Mandar.

In my opinion, you could use any - ubuntu is probably the most popular for laptop installs.. and should have all of the dev tools you could want.

http://www.ubuntu.com

For a Laptop, if it is kinda new or just a tad bit old, you could use Linux Mint (If you are a beginner) or Debian. Debian is probably best for Software Developers because it is very stable, and thus you are less likely to crash/lose your work.

if it understand your question, you want to install a linux version that is inline with most businesses IT Dept that do run linux so you can develop as close as possible to their production environments

if that is the case, you will want red hat or suse but you will not be able to install those distributions unless you actually buy them which is very costly.

i would go with these free choices.

1st Centos - community version of Red Hat enterprise
2nd opensuse - community version of Suse enterprise
3rd Debian - is also used in IT but it appears Red Hat has the higher market share and Suse second

and for an easy stable just works desktop > Ubuntu 13.04

Our company uses Red Hat, Suse, and CentOS for database replication. Unfortunately the first two are probably the most used, but as Lanum said they are very costly (thousands of $) for an individual as they are mostly intended as business-level products, but there are open-source equivalents that are just as good and still part of the "RPM family" if you're looking for rpm-based distros.

Red Hat contributes to both CentOS and Fedora, CentOS is great but is geared toward servers more than home computers while Fedora is the a bit more cutting-edge as far as package updates but it is completely open source meaning no proprietary drivers or codecs are included in the official repositories.

Before I ramble any more, this web page gives a good break down of Fedora vs openSUSE vs CentOS:
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/fedora-opensuse-centos-distribution-linux/

Members online