Redhat and Fedora will stop shipping LibreOffice.

I would most likely also use the Flatpak as I tend to be on the lazy side at this time in my life. :)
I already use a few appimages for some programs that are not in any repositories. And they work well for me.
Don't care for snaps, have had problems with them.
But I'm sure the big companies with force us to use what they deem is best for their bottom line.

I'd wondered if that might be the case. So, while a pain in the butt, it shouldn't be too difficult to figure out.
But a PITA for for having to do it manually and annoying having to explain that to someone on a forum instead of just "apt update" or "dnf update", that's why I will probably recommend the Flatpak or the Snap then instead of the official rpms for Libreoffice.
I wonder what Rocky will do?
Rocky and Alma are RHEL clones so they will do will follow what RHEL does.

Rocky and Alma are RHEL clones so they will do will follow what RHEL does.

I want to say "That's what I was afraid of." Except, that's not accurate. Rather than splitting off and doing their own thing, I'd prefer it if they did exactly what RHEL did. (Make sense?)

If you linux enthusiast just need a writer and dont care about any thing else in terms of office software then you can give AbiWord a try . Just make sure you save in either ODT format and if the person on windows Doc or Docx

Last edited:
@Leonardo_B :-

I took a slightly different approach in Puppy.

Abiword has, for a long time, been the default WP in Puppy, OOTB. But recent updated versions have become increasingly 'crash-happy', frequently taking all your work with them when they go....

So; building on the research of one of our members from several years ago on the old Forum, I did some investigating, and discovered that it was possible to take SoftMaker's FreeOffice and, due to the way they've built it,"split" the individual components off into 'standalone' apps.

Which has resulted in a 13 MB standalone WP - TextMaker - with only English language support built-in. I've also supplied a 'language & font' pack, for those who need a different language and/or fonts....another 9 MB.

It's been built in my standard 'Puppy-portable' format. And it seems to have been well-received by the community.

@f33dm3bits :-

OpenOffice - which is what LibreOffice was forked-off from some years back - is exactly the same. Instead of a single, easy-to-install package, you have nearly 50 tiny little .debs or .rpms......and to make things a wee bit simpler, they supply an 'installer' script which places everything in the right location for you.

If they would simply build a straight-forward all-in-one package to begin with, that kind of messing-around would never be necessary..!

(shrug)

Mike. ;)

Last edited:
Rather than splitting off and doing their own thing, I'd prefer it if they did exactly what RHEL did. (Make sense?)
Yes it makes sense!

OpenOffice - which is what LibreOffice was forked-off from some years back - is exactly the same. Instead of a single, easy-to-install package, you have nearly 50 tiny little .debs or .rpms......and to make things a wee bit simpler, they supply an 'installer' script which places everything in the right location for you.

If they would simply build a straight-forward all-in-one package to begin with, that kind of messing-around would never be necessary..!

(shrug)

Mike. ;)
Thanks mike for all your work on puppy.
I also find it fustrating with LO that hey package so many small segments of the program. It would be so easy for them to combine them and package a .deb or rpm. I don't get it. other than I was once told that different teams maintain each section.

Members online