Red hat linux third edition

S

swangnation

This is probably going to make a few of you laugh but i have definatley lost touch with linux so here goes. I just found my linux bible, i'ts massive and it has red hat linux 3rd edition. Going through it briefly i can see it's talking about pentium computers ( LOL )....more importantly, i THINK it was designed for 32 bit systems. My question has 2 parts. A) Can it be installed on a current asus laptop, provided i have allocated a virtual drive and memory and B) Is it worth installing? or am just better off getting linux red hat 6 which people are saying is quite stable?

A book first published 11 years ago? Get Fedora and look at http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Project_Wiki
Fedora serves as upstream for future versions of RHEL. RHEL trees are forked off the Fedora repository, and released after a substantial stabilization and quality assurance effort.[10] For example, RHEL 6 was forked from Fedora at the end of 2009 (approximately at the time of the Fedora 12 release) and released more or less together with Fedora 14. By the time RHEL 6 was released, many features from Fedora 13 and 14 had already been backported into it. The Fedora Project lists the following lineages for older Red Hat Enterprise releases:[10]

• Red Hat Linux 6.2/7 → Red Hat Linux Enterprise Edition 6.2E
  • Red Hat Linux 7.2 → Red Hat Enterprise Linux 2.1
  • Red Hat Linux 10 beta 1 → Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3
  • Fedora Core 3 → Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4
  • Fedora Core 6 → Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5
  • Fedora 12, 13 → Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6[10]
  • Fedora 19 → Red Hat Enterprise Linux 7[11] Wikipedia

Red Hat Linux 3? It is too old. After that, Red Hat Linux reached 9 and RHEL and Fedora were born. RHEL goes to 6 and Fedora goes to 20 now.

As arochester suggested, get Fedora 19 or 20, and check the Fedora doc on Fedora website.

CentOS 6 may be another choice if you want a more "stable" release.

Members online