Recycling an old netbook :D

B

berks

Hi.

I have an old Netbook with a cracked screen that I am currently in the process of re-purposing as a web server. I would like you opinions on this move. The Computer has a Intel atom N270running at 1.66ghz with 1.5gb of ram and a 160gb HDD. Do you think this will be sufficient to reliably run an apache2 server?

I don't plan to be hosting a lot of sites, just seeking to host one WordPress based site. I am not actually after the hosting of such, I just want the experience of setting up and running a server.

Currently I have Cent OS 5.8 running on it and I am trying to figure out my next move.

It will be ok for a small blog, but don't expect many from it. I would recommend making a lot of research on security before you even decide to start hosting it, it's the most important part of a web server.

Good luck!

P.S. You don't need to fix the screen if you don't want to, just connect it to an external display to do the configuring.

P.S. You don't need to fix the screen if you don't want to, just connect it to an external display to do the configuring.

Didn't plan to... I am having problems configuring Kloxo due to the fact that I am working behind a router. Thinking about going back to ISPConfig.

The thing that worries me now is the fact that I have never thought about security before. What are the threats associated with running my own server?

Didn't plan to... I am having problems configuring Kloxo due to the fact that I am working behind a router. Thinking about going back to ISPConfig.

The thing that worries me now is the fact that I have never thought about security before. What are the threats associated with running my own server?

Now that you are maintaining a server, you might want to look up on securing your server from threats such as Brute Force Attack, Open Relay, Botnet, DoS (Denial of Service), Cross-site Scripting (Also called XSS), SQL Injection, Malware, Unpatched Software, Careless Users.

Unfortunately, they are just too many to discuss but you can google each one of them using those keywords and get the "How-To's" in preventing them. Good luck