Recommended distro for a family's pc?

Reaction score
Credits
Hello. My family's pc is really slow and barely can run Windows 10 I'm thinking of putting Linux on it. What distro is good? Cpu amd e1-2500, and Radeon HD 8240, 3gb ram, 500gb hdd,

Hello. My family's pc is really slow and barely can run Windows 10 I'm thinking of putting Linux on it. What distro is good? Cpu amd e1-2500, and Radeon HD 8240, 3gb ram, 500gb hdd,
They're all good. I like 'em all. But then this machine isn't for me to use - is it? :rolleyes:

That hardware is going to struggle with any 'heavy' lifting. There are some Linux distros which are very light on resources and would likely 'sing' on that bad boy! But as you indicated this is a 'family PC' I think something a bit more 'mainstream' may be a better fit.

I would try Linux Mint. You can give it a test run off of a 'Live USB' to get a feel for it. I have installed Mint on my 80 year old mother-in law's laptop and on my wife's laptop and they have absolutely no problems with it. These are two people who have 'no clue' about how to run a computer - it just works for them! ;)

Members online

Latest posts