Recent Libre Office Update

shaylea

Reaction score
Credits
Hi Everyone, I'm new to Linux and on my Linux Mint 18.3, my new update for Linux Office is still only showing 5.1.62. Does this mean the new version hasn't installed correctly? because I thought the new Libre Office was 6. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

G'day shaylea, and Welcome to Linux.org

screenshot of my Libre....and from memory it updated yesterday here...

.....are you reading your version from the same spot ?...click on help...about libre office... ??

G'day shaylea, and Welcome to Linux.org

screenshot of my Libre....and from memory it updated yesterday here...

View attachment 4232

.....are you reading your version from the same spot ?...click on help...about libre office... ??

Hi Condobloke, thanks so much for your response. Very much appreciated. I just checked my Libre where you told me and it's still showing version 5.1.62. Does this mean I have to reinstall linux or can I somehow fix this without doing a new install? Thanks in advance and excuse my ignorance, I'm new to Linux.

The command sudo apt-get update does not install any available software update. Instead it will update the locally cached information about the available software packages by querying the configured software repositories.
So the steps to update the software libreoffice would be:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade libreoffice

I hope you are a little familiar with Terminal !!

ctrl+alt+t....will bring up a terminal screen....or yu can open the menu....and just type .. terminal ....

after you copy and paste the first comman above (sudo apt-get update) ...you will be asked for your password....the letters/numbers etc will not show...just type then in anyway and hit enter The screen will go through a great jumble of gobbledegook......and then it will settle down...looking much the same as it did when yu first opened the terminal.
Then....copy and paste the second command (sudo apt-get upgrade libreoffice).....it may or may not ask for your password again....I think not...but if it does then just type it in again.

Let us know the outcome

Last edited:
Thank you so much for your help Condobloke, especially with command lines. Am excited to learn Linux though. Will do as suggested. Thank you again and have a nice night!

when it has all finished, and the terminal screen returns to what it was when you fiorst started....type... exit ....and hit enter.
That closes the whole show nice and neatly.

The command sudo apt-get update does not install any available software update. Instead it will update the locally cached information about the available software packages by querying the configured software repositories.
So the steps to update the software libreoffice would be:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade libreoffice

I hope you are a little familiar with Terminal !!

ctrl+alt+t....will bring up a terminal screen....or yu can open the menu....and just type .. terminal ....

after you copy and paste the first comman above (sudo apt-get update) ...you will be asked for your password....the letters/numbers etc will not show...just type then in anyway and hit enter The screen will go through a great jumble of gobbledegook......and then it will settle down...looking much the same as it did when yu first opened the terminal.
Then....copy and paste the second command (sudo apt-get upgrade libreoffice).....it may or may not ask for your password again....I think not...but if it does then just type it in again.

Let us know the outcome

Hi Condobloke, excuse my late response. Some visitors popped over and then it was late, went to bed. So I tried the command line you gave me and it didn't work. It was still version 5. So I did a new install, which also didn't update it either. Being a newbie, thought I'd try. However, to get to the point, did some searching and found the following from https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=269343 worked a treat.

sudo apt-get remove libreoffice-core
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:libreoffice/ppa
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libreoffice

I now have 6 on my 18.3 Linuxmint. I just wanted to update my status and let you know and anyone else that might find themselves with the same problem.

Thanks again for your time Condobloke and all the best.

Sorry for the late response here also...we had an all day blackout.

Glad you found an answer and thanks for sharing !.......tis the sharing that helps the world to keep turning/progressing.

Members online

Latest posts