Realistic Timeline for Learning Linux

mrcrossroads

Reaction score
Credits

I had a lot of Unix experience, so I was pretty comfortable from the start.

I was fairly fluent maybe six months later.

I was retired and converted all of my computers to Linux in just a matter of a couple of days. I had plenty of time to learn and explore. I broke things. I broke lots of things. It took a bit to make sure I had stability and could keep the OS running and aligned with my needs - which would probably have been the six months I speak of.

I still learned lots and lots and lots after that. But, by then I was pretty good at patching everything back up and not needing to re-install or resort to my backups. Google-fu was a strong suit.

So you would have been comfortable in the terminal from the get go then. That's a strong start.
I've been using Linux for over a decade now and I have yet to learn to use the terminal for much more than installing, uninstalling and a few other very basic tasks. WIth today's Linux it's easier to get by with primarily the gui.

Pluralsight has a bunch of Linux lessons. I may do that one of these days.

I'm guessing you used UNIX for your job?

Yes, for school and work. We switched to Linux on our servers pretty early on but I had mostly handed that stuff off by then.

How long is a piece of string ?
Everyone is different...some run back to that other OS saying it's too hard...some take to it like a Duck to water.
m1213.gif

I'm an average user that's been running Linux Mint for nearly 8 years...still learning and loving it. I had to get use to the Linux way of doing things...youtube and Forums helped.

It doesn't take long to learn how to install a Distro...configure it...learn how to install software...learn to use the Terminal. I wanted a Distro that was user friendly...didn't break...stable and had all the tools I needed...Mint was that.
m1212.gif

Learning Linux ....timeline.....you just never stop learning.

Becoming comfortable with Linux....that is a different story. Perhaps 6 - 12 months ....depending on how much time is spent with it daily.
For those who expect to have the whole thing nailed down by the end of a month...good luck with that !!
That is called 'not being realistic'

Patience, Grasshopper. (Thanks @KGIII ).....

Rome was not built in a day.....if you are new/ish, and are reading this, the support you will receive here is second to none, and will surely help you achieve your 'timeline' not only quicker, but also comfortably.

Peace of mind is key

Last edited:
The article has, near the end of it

On average, it can take anywhere from a few months to a year to become proficient in Linux and to be able to use it in a professional setting. However, with a structured approach and consistent effort, you can make significant progress in a relatively short amount of time.

I would say that that was optimistic to the point of wishful thinking.

If you have the resources to be able to study it fulltime, that is, as a student, then maybe so, but otherwise I would suggest 3 - 5 years.

Wizard
Thanks for the Thread, @mrcrossroads :)

BTW I had a headstart on CLI with writing batch files under MS-DOS.

In my humble opinion, GNU Linux is organic, it grows and changes every day therefore no matter how proficient you are [or think you are] you will never stop learning,

Linux is a continuing educational process :) I learn and forget and learn again. I too started with linux early on and had done some Unix stuff before that so came to in quite naturally. Started with Slackware in the Mid 90's. Never could get my head around Windows though had to use it through version 7. But after that was 100% linux from then on. Learning something from you guys almost every day :) Keep up the good work.

What always amuses me is people who have spent years using (learning) Microsoft Windows and then want to try another OS.

Some of them then are horrified at the idea that they might have to learn something different.

They want it to be exactly the same and to usable from day one.

They don't seem to see that they have had to learn Windows.

Sometimes you have to learn whatever it is you need to know. You have the job and they sit you down in front of whatever machine they give you. A clueless person way too many levels above you chose the equipment and operating system for you. You are expected to be productive. No discussion. End of story.

I did get burned once. It was my first day on a new project, and they sat me down in front of a computer running an obscure real-time operating system. I had just come off a project where the operating system "purge" command meant "Keep the latest version of this file, but delete all the older versions." On the new operating system, the "purge" command meant, "Delete everything in this directory and every subdirectory below it." :-o

That was a tough first day on the new project. The next thing I learned was how to reconstruct a directory structure by hand in that obscure operating system. :-(

As a relative newbie, switching full time to Linux on both my PC's from a long time smudgy Windows experience I can say that in over a few months full time, I am now pretty confident in being able to turn my laptop into an expensive paperweight without too much difficulty.

The good news is that I no longer suffer from hot flushes everytime this happens.
So, best advice I can give anyone is make sure you know how to backup your important stuff, have a second system on standby so you can plough through forums for advice, commands, etc (I like this one as you can post pics/screenshots if needed), make friends with the terminal window ...... and finally

Break it, until you make it :)

I have to agree with others. Linux is a non-stop learning process; it never really comes to a full-stop. The 'kicker' is quite simple; what do you want from your distro.....and if doesn't offer what you want OOTB, how much time/effort are you - as an individual - prepared to invest in making things so that it DOES?

As I've stated before, my main forte has always been in re-packaging software to work with Pup's odd way of doing things. From time to time, my interest will be piqued by questions posed by others in the community, and I'll go out of my way to research things. If my interest is further engaged, I'll then start fleshing out the skeleton of a possible utility to fulfill that 'request'. I'll only do this if it's something I can see me using myself; I won't go out of my way to develop summat I have no interest in, obviously.

Further research follows, to get basic functionality scripted and working. Inspiration for additional features usually takes over at this point, and my imagination occasionally runs riot! Once the scripting is doing everything I want it to, the next step is to build a GUI with YAD to make it as easy-to-use as possible.......not only for me (I like my GUIs!), but also for anyone who may want to try it out.

Now, it's made available for others in the community to 'play with', and I then act upon feedback if I think it worthwhile, refining things as far as possible. I'm something of a perfectionist, and like to leave a fully-finished 'product' in my repos if at all possible....

I find it very staisfying doing this kinda thing, and like helping the community out as & when I can. I've had a ton of help from other Puppians over the years, so for me it's only natural to want to 'contribute' back if I can.

IMHO, Linux is a life-long 'project'. You never stop learning with it.

Mike. ;)

I think the more appropriate focus should be "Realistic timeline for learning the Linux basics" since once you understand the basics all things after that build on that.

Last edited:
"Realistic timeline for learning the Linux basics"
A valid point, if we consider that say 50% of those installing Linux for the first time are coming from another system, and all they want is an OTB desktop solution to carry out everyday home computing, then the learning curve is moderately steep but also fairly short, but for gamers changing over it will be steeper and possibly take a bit longer, as it would for those changing their business computing to Linux,
But I still stick with my premise "no matter how proficient you are [or think you are] you will never stop learning,"

Learning Linux ....timeline.....you just never stop learning.

Becoming comfortable with Linux....that is a different story. Perhaps 6 - 12 months ....depending on how much time is spent with it daily.
For those who expect to have the whole thing nailed down by the end of a month...good luck with that !!
That is called 'not being realistic'

Patience, Grasshopper. (Thanks @KGIII ).....

Rome was not built in a day.....if you are new/ish, and are reading this, the support you will receive here is second to none, and will surely help you achieve your 'timeline' not only quicker, but also comfortably.

Peace of mind is key
And anytime you get in a jam, the answer is just a DuckDuckGo search away!

As a relative newbie, switching full time to Linux on both my PC's from a long time smudgy Windows experience I can say that in over a few months full time, I am now pretty confident in being able to turn my laptop into an expensive paperweight without too much difficulty.

The good news is that I no longer suffer from hot flushes everytime this happens.
So, best advice I can give anyone is make sure you know how to backup your important stuff, have a second system on standby so you can plough through forums for advice, commands, etc (I like this one as you can post pics/screenshots if needed), make friends with the terminal window ...... and finally

Break it, until you make it :)
I love the feeling of something breaking and being able to find the answer on your own. Nice feeling of accomplishment and a confidence booster.

What always amuses me is people who have spent years using (learning) Microsoft Windows and then want to try another OS.

Some of them then are horrified at the idea that they might have to learn something different.

They want it to be exactly the same and to usable from day one.

They don't seem to see that they have had to learn Windows.
The difference today is that youngsters are taught Windows beginning in elementary school. Most peeps don't have someone to hold their hand learning Linux.

Didn't have any trouble adapting to Linux... at all. Did it in fall 2021, it was a seamless transition. Learned to do everything in Linux that I used to do on windows... except VR - I, long ago before going to Linux, picked the one headset that doesn't like be run on it... damit.

Google-fu was a strong suit.
More powerful than programming languages, because thinking about linux like OP is a dog-eat-dog world thing. Put down the timeline and learn how to use linux!

Members online

Latest posts