ReactOS

K

KenJackson

For those who aren't aware of it, there is an effort well underway to create an OS that's binary compatible with Microsoft Windows, named ReactOS. Right now you can download an ISO and run it, although it's not very stable yet and it's still in alpha stage. But there's progress being made.

I love Linux and dislike Windows, but I see this as a very positive development. There should be as many choices as possible. And since there's a HUGE glut of software that ONLY runs on Windows, and resists running under Wine, it seems like it's a very needed thing, especially for people who mainly run Linux and only want to run a little bit of third-party Windows software, but don't want to spring for a whole Windows license to do it.

But it seems some Linux fans have less favorable opinions about recreating the OS we seek to get away from.

What do you think? Is ReactOS a good thing?

Thanks so much for sharing information regarding React OS. I have ran across articles, here and there, regarding this project - I never took the time to really find out more about it. I am, by no means, a huge Windows fan. I do use it as the only OS on a separate computer, merely because there are programs that are needed for school, and these programs will not work with Linux and the alternatives do not give me the same results needed. I must say that this project is very interesting and I do completely understand the reasoning behind such an idea.

I believe computer users should have the freedom of choice even if I have different thoughts. I think this project could provide a huge benefit to the computer community, if it is handled correctly. The ability to have the speed and reliability of Linux, so to speak, and the ability to run Windows-based programs out of the box is a great idea. It is a very interesting idea and could pose some good advantages, but to say if it is a good thing or not is beyond my reach, just yet, as I would like to read more about it. Definitely will be checking back!:D

I feel that it's a good thing; yes, it's recreating an environment that represents the OS we've escaped, but the key difference is that we're in control of it, not Microshaft. That's an improvement already. And it means giving more people an alternative when they absolutely must run some Windows-only software package.

I think it's great. I don't understand the rationale for those that are against this movement.

This looks great! I think its good because all to often people get their old machines infected with viruses or whatever and they need to format and install. Most people loose their Windows XP CD Key, and Most general users cannot understand linux. I will be making a note of this one!

I've never heard of this, but this sounds amazing. I had no idea that there was something this far in the works to actually have a Linux-Windows compatible OS. If this ends up being relatively stable, then I think that I would probably put it on my laptop rather than Ubuntu which is what I have now.

This looks great! I think its good because all to often people get their old machines infected with viruses or whatever . . .

This is why I am wary of such efforts. I do not want Cross-Over viri and malware!

This is why I am wary of such efforts. I do not want Cross-Over viri and malware!
I expect we all join you in your concern about avoiding malware. But "binary compatible" doesn't mean it'll be susceptible to the same malware. It's being written absolutely from scratch with absolutely no Windows code included.

Also, consider the argument that's often leveled against Linux. Linux scoffs say the only reason there aren't lots and lots of viruses attacking Linux is because it's obscure and hardly anyone uses it, so attackers aren't interested and viruses can't spread. I don't buy that. Microsoft doesn't have the bulk of the users' apps in a repository that gets updated with the OS. And there are other reasons.

I expect ReactOS to be more like Linux in that regard.

I will see if I can play WoW on ReactOS. Then I will give my vote. One way or another.

This project has been up since the old days already, i found the bugs everywhere even for the latest alpha. 1997 - 2012 but still in alpha/beta? It's good if more people keep supporting them. The way you want them to move faster is by keep mention to other ppl to use 'em especially to those win XP user. The support for ReactOS is small need more people to get involve with it. I've been trying installed ReactOS to old machine (Pentium 3 i guess) last year, but it's not stable. It keep reboot and didn't find the right driver for it. Before that, in 2002 i've installed to other machine but works fine, only the problem it's not stable + sometimes it BSOD.. :D

Is ReactOS a good thing? Not really for now. It really depends on your computer's hardware. It worked well on my desktop computer but didn't work at all on my laptop.When running incompatible programs, it may crash. It does not interfere with other O/S, but you may not be able to remove it from the multi-boot system list, even if you uninstalled the O/S, unless if you want to format the whole drive.In conclusion, it is not good for every day use. i hope that it will be improved soon, as ReactOS is one of my favorite open source operating systems.

..., but you may not be able to remove it from the multi-boot system list, even if you uninstalled the O/S, unless if you want to format the whole drive.

Huh? What?

What boot manager are you using? GRUB v1? GRUB v2? LILO? GAG? Smart?

They all let you add and remove OSes. Though Microsoft has one which I understand is specifically intended for booting between versions of Windows and no others, so it may not be cooperative. And you can always format one partition without touching the others.

But ReactOS isn't ready to be used seriously yet anyway. So it might make more sense to use a virtual environment.

I don't think the issue with boot manager is the fault of ReactOS... But feel free to clarify. :)

Sorry I've never used ReactOS but i heard its stabled and useful.

Does silverlight, specifically for lovefilm and sky go, work in ReactOS?

That is a deal breaker. If it does I will ditch Mint on my machine and use this.

The ReactOS project is an excellent idea. This will help bring people to Linux because ReactOS can run both Linux and Windows applications. This helps make both types of applications available to more people.

Hi i think ReactOS is a good idea bringing the 2 Windows and Linux worlds together i have tried ReactOS not a stable enough OS for a main purpose once they get it off the ground i am sure it will be quite popular well as soon as they make a bug reporter for it!
I will like to see the future of ReactOS if they don't give up i hope not! as they say don't give up keep on trying! i am sure they will succeed in the next few years i am sure linux will gain lots of popularity after the Windows XP end of support linux is the future and ReactOS should be a big part of it same with the other leading distros mint ubuntu, fedora Debian, OpenSUSE, CentOS. as i said bringing both worlds in one place old windows users will love it when it gets off the ground.

Staff online

Members online