(Re)building a high-end Ubuntu System

A

Ari Passopolis

I need advice. About a year ago I put together a rack-mounted developer's system with these goodies:

Mobo: Asus P9X79
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3820 CPU @ 3.60GHz x 4 physical cores
RAM: DDR3 Synchronous 1600 MHz (0.6 ns) 8 GBx4 (32 GB total)
SSDs: 1-120 GB SATA 3 + 1-240 GB SATA 3
HDDs 2-1 TB Hitachi SATA 2 (7500 RPM) (for music, source, backup)

I put / on the slower SSD in a 40 GB partition; /home is there too, but on its separate 80 GB partition. Home is now full and I haven't even touched the 240 GB drive -- but a big job is coming and I'm going to need it soon.

The question: I now want to redo this box with Ubuntu 14.04, but the right way, optimally. So: would it make sense to put the new OS on the (reformatted) smaller SSD, and keep my /home on the same drive, or is there a better way? Can I somehow mount the 240 GB SSD in /home, to increase capacity without the hair-puller of running with LVM or RAID? I'm far from a n00b, but no guru's guru either. I really want (and need, I think) the freedom of having a larger home -- and reducing the present OS partition size to 20 GB would provide a total of 340 GB for a new home between the 2 high-speed drives. Can this be done as I've described? Hopefully some *nix guru can answer, because I'm at the end of the runway with this one. Thanks!

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts