Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

• I didn't know I could

• Total voters
K

Kirk

One of the neatest things I discovered recently was how to set up my CentOS desktop so I could RDP into it from my Windows desktop. Previously I was using VNC which takes a bit of work to set up and doesn't give you the full desktop view that RDP does. Setting up your box to RDP into it, however, is cake!

From the command line, simply issue the following 3 commands:

Code:
# yum install xrdp -y
# chkconfig --levels 35 xrdp on
# service xrdp start

Now you can go to your Windows system, open Remote Desktop Connection and put in the ip address of your Linux system. Of course this only works if you have the X windows system installed and running on your Linux machine.

I don't personally, could you go a little more in depth as to the advantages of it please?

Not very in depth but should be fairly helpful to anyone who needs to know about this stuff, very helpful if its what your looking for.

The PC I have at my workplace has Windows installed as I'm inextricably still tied to certain MS Windows-based programs. However, I administrate Linux machines and like to have a Linux environment to work from and test things out on. From a Linux desktop I can open up Terminal and have several tabbed ssh instances going on simultaneously. True, I could and do use PuTTY directly from my Windows computer, but I find the tabs within the single Terminal window to be easier to keep track of than several PuTTY instances. So I use Windows' Remote Desktop Connection to RDP into my CentOS VM on a second monitor and keep a number of ssh connections going simultaneously. Just beware that you don't issue a command in the wrong tab!

I just set up a fresh CentOS VM for someone else in my company and found that yum install xrdp didn't work. Since I had installed a 64-bit version I simply installed the EPEL Repository (Extra Packages for Enterprise Linux)by issuing the following command from the command line:

Code:
# rpm -Uvh http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/epel/5/x86_64/epel-release-5-4.noarch.rpm

please elaborate the above point i have installed the rpm package now which service to start to use rdp

Once the rpm package is installed, you can go back to the top of this post and start with
Code:
# yum install xrdp -y
to install the xrdp package.

geetting error while doing the yum install xrdp -y

Once the rpm package is installed, you can go back to the top of this post and start with
Code:
# yum install xrdp -y
to install the xrdp package.

ftp://192.9.200.14/pub/repodata/repomd.xml: [Errno 4] IOError: [Errno ftp error] timed out
Trying other mirror.
Could not retrieve mirrorlist http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/mirrorlist?repo=epel-5&arch=x86_64 error was
[Errno 4] IOError: <urlopen error (-3, 'Temporary failure in name resolution')>
Error: Cannot retrieve repository metadata (repomd.xml) for repository: epel. Please verify its path and try again

please tell why this error is coming and ofcourse i am new in linux world

I have never really had much of a use to "RDP" to a full desktop on a server. I have ran applications via remote X session, but I don't qualify that as the same thing since it is a single application.

Any other time it is SSH all the way.

We'll set up linux desktop VMs for employees in our company to use instead of windows VMs if they wish..

1. It helps to expose linux to those that wouldn't normally use it
2. Really helps if they're working from home or at a client's location
3. Cheaper and safer than windows VMs ;)

I've tried to install KDE window manager for CentOS but i couldn't get it to function. Maybe i was doing something wrong somewhere.

GNOME is the default desktop environment , but Qt3 had a great feel. I think i was trying out Kwin with KDE. I believe screwing up somewhere so after that i just use SSH.

You would need to install a Gnome desktop to do this, which can be done in Ubuntu, and most others.

The most easiest and sufficient way for me to connect to my server is via VNC. To connect to the actual desktop then you'd need a certain program installed on your Linux box and on your personal computer to enable this.

i have a linux in the office
and a windows at home
i realy dont know anything about linux
but my job require me to be able to work on the linux from my windows.
can someone please explain to me how to do whatever you talked about earlier?
(i would realy appreciate detailed explanation )

thanks to all the helpers!

ok123 you would be probably better off to start your own thread, but include more information:

What are you trying to do?
What have you tried?
Are you getting an error message and if so what is the full error?
Was it ever working?

ok123 you would be probably better off to start your own thread, but include more information:

What are you trying to do?
What have you tried?
Are you getting an error message and if so what is the full error?
Was it ever working?

sorry, i wasn't clear enough...
so basically i am trying to reach my desktop on the Linux from my windows computer
tried several things such as tightvnc.
the only message i get is in the windows that says that the connection failed and that i should try and check maybe the computer is off...(which is obviously not, cause im right next to it...)
i also heard that in the Ubuntu 11.10 there is a "remote desktop" build in the computer...
but i just cant find it (and believe me... i tried a lot...)
is there an easy way of doing that connection?

You might need to install SAMBA. I would use openSSH or RDP as well, not a fan of VNC, though it has it's purpose also.

Did you follow the instructions in the first post for RDP?

Maybe this will help.

RDP UBUNTU

HOW TO

AND THIS

Staff online

Members online