• Important: We recently upgraded our forum software - please let us know if you run into any issues.

Raspberry Pi

poorguy

Hello linux.org,

Curious if anyone has a Raspberry Pi, no not the eating kind.

I'm thinking about getting one.
Raspberry Pi 4 is released according to this article.

Thanks

Last edited:

Peer

I heard of this today and I will propably get one from my birthday.
I already have some 3b+'s.

poorguy

Yeah I'm thinking about getting on although want to find out more about them and see what all is available as I see they can be gotten as a kit package.

It appears they can be used for quite a few different deticated types of uses and devices which would be neat to have.

poorguy

Yep I'm finding that out the more I check in to them.

Is the ram fixed or can it be expanded I wonder because I keep reading about the different size sd cards although I'm thinking that's more for storage.

They are great but can require some knowledge

poorguy

Alright I back I had to go to the grocery store with the Wife and then we grabbed a bite to eat. :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@arochester
Thanks for the pdf info on the PI 4 that's the one I've been looking at.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@zaki Sl-Lounis [quoted post #7]
They are great but can require some knowledge

That's ok I like a challenge, I need to exercise those little grey cells of mine.

I found some cook books for earlier Pi devices so I'm going to give them a look at and see what I can learn about them.

I'm wondering how they compare speed wise to a normal computer or tablet.

CptCharis

Hello guy!!!! I am interesting about Pi too, actually I am about to set up my own cloud at my home.
Just yesterday I saw that Pi 4 is released and this is making me more curious.

poorguy

I've been mulling over the idea of a getting a Pi and seeing what all it's capable of and then reading about the Pi 4 I've become seriously interested in buying one.

I'm going to see if I can find one locally that I can actually look at and see what is available possibly see it working.

My interest in the Pi 4 reminds me of being interested in building my first crystal radio as a kid.

HuMJohn

I have a Pi 4 on order (2 Gig model) to replace my 3b+, which I am using as a Network Area Storage (NAS). I just hope my order is from the initial stock and not on the pre-order list. I have been waiting for this unit since it was announced.

poorguy

Yep that's why I'd prefer to purchase locally and not be put on a back order whenever list.

I also want the 4.0 GB model can't ever have to much ram.

HuMJohn

UPDATE: Just notified that my new Raspberry Pi 4 just shipped. So, it appears I got my order in before everyone ran out of stock. :)

CptCharis

UPDATE: Just notified that my new Raspberry Pi 4 just shipped. So, it appears I got my order in before everyone ran out of stock. :)
May I ask for the link where did you order it dear sir? Since is not yet available in my "village".

poorguy

Man these things are going quick as if ordered today it will ship Aug 1 2019. :(

The kits they offer look to be what ya need so I may just have to wait until the new thrill wears of and they get an on hand stock of the 4.0 GB boards.

Dammit. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

poorguy

Members online