raspberry Pi CM4 modules

VP9KS

Reaction score
Credits
I have been looking at the data on the Raspberry Pi CM4 modules, and wanted to try the 8gb model with no EMMC and both Wifi and Bluetooth (The CM4108000), only to find that it does not appear to be available ANYWHERE on the web!:( Whilst researching it however, I discovered this little Gem:

It would seem that there has been a bit more development for the Pi than I realized. In fact, Waveshare has a whole line of carrier boards for the CM4 modules! Ah yes, competition, check it out!

Happy Trails,
Paul

Raspberry Pi is a becoming force to be reckoned.
Everything that was cheap has forcefully sky rocketed for the money spent I would look no further than Pi 4 4/gb or 8gb.
When the Raspberry 5 releases that's when I will purchase another.
Pi zero 2 going for 50$+ now when it was 15$ due too all the people buying out the stock and waiting for inflation so they could sell them at high prices. totally not worth it. As a result you can't find anything at this point as everything is at a pause.

Raspberry Pi is a becoming force to be reckoned
Everything that was cheap has forcefully sky rocketed for the money spent I would look no further than Pi 4 4/gb or 8gb.
When the Raspberry 5 releases that's when I will purchase another.
Pi zero 2 going for 50$+ now when it was 15$ due too all the people buying out the stock and waiting for inflation so they could sell them at high prices. totally not worth it. As a result you can't find anything at this point as everything is at a pause.
My last Pi4 8Gb model cost me 160 euro, there are no where in stock in this part of the world,
I bought a complete 11 - 1 /2 inch laptop, only 4 GB ram, installed MX Linux, and its much more
capable as a daily driver than a Pi, one in a Argon M.2 sata nclosure running off an internal SSD,
Two more are in Flirc cases which run off external SSD drives, they all have SD card backup OS 's
all run great, but they are too expensive now, 160 a board, then 60 cor a case, and 40 for and SSD
and then a keyboard mouse power brick a HDMI cable and a Monitor,
a laptop can be bought cheaper, unless of course you have need for the Pi specific features,
I have mine on timers, they start up and run backups using rsync, they then shutdown again until their required again.

Last edited by a moderator:
My last Pi4 8Gb model cost me 160 euro, there are no where in stock in this part of the world,
I bought a complete 11 - 1 /2 inch laptop, only 4 GB ram, installed MX Linux, and its much more
capable as a daily driver than a Pi, one in a Argon M.2 sata nclosure running off an internal SSD,
Two more are in Flirc cases which run off external SSD drives, they all have SD card backup OS 's
all run great, but they are too expensive now, 160 a board, then 60 cor a case, and 40 for and SSD
a laptop can be bought cheaper, unless of course you have need for the Pi specific features,
I have mine on timers, they start up and run backups using rsync, they then shutdown again until their required again.
I hear you. That is why I am using pieces that I already have here in the shack! Just for fun, ya know what I mean?:) Cause I can!
BTW welcome to the group!

I hear you. That is why I am using pieces that I already have here in the shack! Just for fun, ya know what I mean?:) Cause I can!
BTW welcome to the group!
Thanks @VP9KS
I got into the Pi 's as a move away from Intel with their IME and Amd no better, then this Covid
came, now war, and crazy prices have stunted my process.
It won't be much longer until RISC V has a similar of more likely faster
board out, so probably have enough Pi hardware for mow anyway.

Thanks @VP9KS
I got into the Pi 's as a move away from Intel with their IME and Amd no better, then this Covid
came, now war, and crazy prices have stunted my process.
It won't be much longer until RISC V has a similar of more likely faster
board out, so probably have enough Pi hardware for mow anyway.
Yeah, have you seen all the competition for the Pi out there? It is amazing! More every day!

Have you done a posting in the Member Introductions forum Yet?

Happy Trails,
Paul

Yeah, have you seen all the competition for the Pi out there? It is amazing! More every day!

Have you done a posting in the Member Introductions forum Yet?

Happy Trails,
Paul
Yes, its a great time for competition, might have been more spectacular
if arm had gone to Nvidia, I can't wait for more horsepower to appear on
what is not linked to Intel or AMD, apple M1 seems like a real power house
that is not sore on power either, but where is the fun in that, until Linux is
more integrated to it, its coming along nicely too.
I did not say hello, never see the point, sooner or later I will be spotted.

Bought my RPI4 4GB for 55$ and now it's 160?
People are just taking advantage of everything these days.

Bought my RPI4 4GB for 55$ and now it's 160?
People are just taking advantage of everything these days.
Yes, same here, my first was same price but in euro, Three years ago, now the only place left is amazon or ebay for rip off pries, I bought because i could see the situation regarding shortages and manufacturing getting no better and wanted to have backups before they were all gone.
I can see now that RISC V will probably be making faster more desirable chips before the Pi people resolve
their supply issues, people will remember the price gouging too, all in all substantial damage has been done
and people are looking at alternatives to Pi boards.

latte panda is in my radar. honestly though I will probably just find some old gamer computer for my emulator games.

In the latest issue of Magpi magazine (#117, MAY 2022) Ebon Upton, Raspberry Pi CEO, addresses these problems. According to what was published, the pi400 is still available, and they are making half a million chips for the Pi 4 and CM modules per month. The problem is that Bots attempt to buy out stock as soon as it becomes available so that it can be scalped on the internet. They also say to only use one of their "approved Resellers" to keep from getting relieved of too much of your hard earned cash when purchasing Pi boards of any type.:)

Happy Trails,
Paul

Last edited:
Well they need to make more if they are to hang on to their customers,
so yes, its still a supply problem, the scalpers would soon grow weary of large stocks of boards not selling if there were enough elsewhere,
one or two large production runs would shake them up, and then keep on top of it.

Well they need to make more if they are to hang on to their customers,
so yes, its still a supply problem, the scalpers would soon grow weary of large stocks of boards not selling if there were enough elsewhere,
one or two large production runs would shake them up, and then keep on top of it.
Sadly, easier said than done, :(

Members online