Raspberry or an Intel NUC ?

ML_113

Reaction score
Credits
I am fed up with my 4K smart TV (dumb WebOS !). I would like to get one mentioned above that I can hide behind it.
My concern is the remote control, and the HDMI wiring for video and sound.
We just watch Netflix and Youtube.
I am more comfortable with AMD/Intel but any advice is welcome.

If you aren't happy with your android TV, you might not like a Raspberry Pi.

The good news is... You can get a Pi 4B 8GB model for about $75 (US)

The bad news is... your CPU is an ARMv8 ( 1.5GHz)

For about 12 times the price, you can get a NUC with a Gen 11 i7, 32GB RAM
and 1 TB hard drive, and Iris video.

If you aren't happy with your android TV, you might not like a Raspberry Pi.

The good news is... You can get a Pi 4B 8GB model for about $75 (US)
https://www.pishop.us/product/raspberry-pi-4-model-b-8gb/?src=raspberrypi

The bad news is... your CPU is an ARMv8 ( 1.5GHz)

For about 12 times the price, you can get a NUC with a Gen 11 i7, 32GB RAM
and 1 TB hard drive, and Iris video.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BPCBS59S
Good luck getting a Raspberry Pi 4B 8GB or any other 4B model, especially at retail price. Demand is high and they are in short supply. When they appear, automated bots buy them for scalpers who resell them at premium prices. Getting one from an authorized seller at the normal retail price is nearly impossible.

I have read reports that production is ramping up and the supply will open up "soon."

I looked at the Intel NUC. That's a lot of power in a small case. I am surprised that in a latest-model mini system, it is not dual homed (two Ethernet ports) and the USB still uses the "A" type connections, not "C" type.

P.S.
When you post Amazon links, stop after the 10-character "ASIN" code. You do not need to include all the tracking and personal information with the link.

This:
"... amazon.com/dp/B0BPCBS59S
or this:
"... amazon.com/i7-1165G7-32GB-1TB-Graphics-Bluetooth/dp/B0BPCBS59S

Not this:
"... amazon.com/dp/B0BPCBS59S/ref=sspa_dk_detail_3?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B0BPCBS59S&pd_rd_w=SKERb&content-id=amzn1.sym.af9528d2-09ba-47ee-b909-59e3022bebe1&pf_rd_p=af9528d2-09ba-47ee-b909-59e3022bebe1&pf_rd_r=45EXJKS9GJ78B4109SSC&pd_rd_wg=qfqKG&pd_rd_r=e91289c7-dac9-4fa8-a0cf-edacb28cc33b&s=pc&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWw&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExU1JISklNN0xLQkhOJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwMzk5NzAxMUpGSVA4Q1ZRREJBUiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNTA2MTk1SUNWM1lYQlFHUlFJJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfZGV0YWlsJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ=="

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies...
My cheapness is awaken already.
For now I will do the search on my computer ... then inputting the result into the TV (actually the only thing that pisses me off is searching using the remote control).

The Intel NUC would be more flexible; the chip shortage and scalpers combined have made obtaining a Raspberry Pi harder than it used to be.

Yes but the one recommended by dos2unix is way too pricy for single purpose use like that.
Anybody has experience with cheap one like this ?

Staff online