Random connection cut outs for some programs

fishyb

Reaction score
Credits
Recently installed linux mint mate, pretty soon after things such as firefox, apt install and spotify would randomly lose connection, however tor and torrents would still work. Reconnecting internet fixes this or restarting VPN(it still happens if vpn is disabled though), or waiting about half an hour it reconnects, but it is very frustrating, I don't where to start for troubleshooting! please help

welcome to the forums

what sort of internet connection do you have? adsl/dsl/mobile/fibre

and as you have Mint, can you please run in a terminal inxi -N [inxispace-N] and past the results back

It's fixed wireless broadband

yellowboots@yb-oldPC:~$ inxi -N [inxispace-N]
Error 22: Unsupported option: [inxispace-N]
Check -h for correct parameters.
yellowboots@yb-oldPC:~$ inxi -N
Network:
Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
driver: r8169
Device-2: Qualcomm Atheros AR9287 Wireless Network Adapter driver: ath9k

I've now connected to mobile hotspot to see if issue occurs like this but it's unpredictable so it'll be a while till I know if that fixes

Hi I've installed the driver, the tutorial worked other than I had to download it from the Realtek website,
I am still having issues with internet drop outs, I don't seem to have them on mobile data. Could it be an issue with my supplier?

Last edited:
Could it be an issue with my supplier
I dont know which country you are in ..but it is possible, I myself have been having drop out and speed issues for the last couple of months, My knowledge of equipment tells me its a router problem, but my ISP wont have it, 3 weeks ago they sent an internal engineer to check my system saying it was my set up at fault, well he not only gave me a clean bill of health, he said it was one of the best domestic installations he had seen, then they said it was becuase I was using Linux, so I borrowed a w10 machine ran the same test on both machines 2 minuets apart and the results were identical, today a line engineer arrived. he again looked at my set up, did a series of over 30 checks on the line and its spot on, I showed him the record of speed drops and outages and he said....router problems, my incoming signal has not varied by more than 3% over the last month yet my terminal speed has ranged from 5.8 to 38.9 over the same period..

In uk, thanks for the advice anyway. I believe I may have experienced it on a Windows laptop although it's too infrequent to be sure, but I find it so odd that the internet will cut out completely but work fine over tor. Sadly the router is on the roof and run by landlord who doesn't understand it so my hope of troubleshooting that are slim.

Last edited:
do you know which company is providing the internet service

I had a similar problem with my Acer laptop using an Atheros internal wireless card.
Started using a mini-USB wireless adapter with Realtek inside and have not had a problem since.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ok. so its an industrial set up, [block of flats/communal -student accommodation etc, ] first if the system will allow [some wont] open a new browser page and run www.speedtest.net if it is allowed to run it should give the name of your provider [to the left bottom] as it runs....
now how industrial system tend to work
1] unit allocation, where each accommodation unit has its own dedicated log in and password and min guaranteed speed
2] equipment allocation, where each piece of kit is allocate a minimum fixed speed connection
3] what can only be described as the free for all where no one unit or piece of kit is guaranteed any speed..

the problem is unless you are on the industrial system with supply allocation per unit you have no control, as with the other 2 systems the more kit connected the more the load the slower the speed and it get to the point where the router cant cope and you get a drop out

assuming you have 20 flats in the system that was fitted say 15 yrs ago, each flat may have had 1 or 2 computers each connected to the system and supply was fine, now each flat could have a computer for mum/dad, a works laptop for son, and 1or more tablets for the kids, 1 or more smart t/v's several Alex type devices and smart security systems, so we suddenly jump from 4 connections. apart from the computer/laptop&pads everything else is connected to the system 24/7/52 thisl could be as high as 20/30 straining the system,
so in conclusion, talk to your landlord [ok if its a private one you may not get far] if its a housing association and the internet is part of your rent, pressure them as they are failing to provide or maintain something they are contractually obliged to.

Bwiz [from East Anglia]

Last edited:
I appreciate the message, but you couldn't be further from the truth! I'm in a bungalow in the middle of rural wales where the signal is bounced from farm to farm till it reaches us in the valley, my landlord a busy farmer who wouldn't know the first place to start, speedtest says my provider is EE, after asking I believe at some point in the chain it's a sim on mobile data?
I'll see if I can get a contact for the provider from him, thanks

where the signal is bounced from farm to farm till it reaches us in the valley,
ah. if its going through multiple relays the problem could be almost anywhere.. I hope you get it sorted

I dont know which country you are in ..but it is possible, I myself have been having drop out and speed issues for the last couple of months, My knowledge of equipment tells me its a router problem, but my ISP wont have it, 3 weeks ago they sent an internal engineer to check my system saying it was my set up at fault, well he not only gave me a clean bill of health, he said it was one of the best domestic installations he had seen, then they said it was becuase I was using Linux, so I borrowed a w10 machine ran the same test on both machines 2 minuets apart and the results were identical, today a line engineer arrived. he again looked at my set up, did a series of over 30 checks on the line and its spot on, I showed him the record of speed drops and outages and he said....router problems, my incoming signal has not varied by more than 3% over the last month yet my terminal speed has ranged from 5.8 to 38.9 over the same period..
I suspect if you ran a wireshark capture you would be seeing periodic packet drops. For me the last time I had a problem like this I could see the problem was several hops away from me. When seeing packet drops I would run repeated trace routes and could see packets dropping three hops away from me. Eventually they admitted to a capacity issue. I am in the process of changing ISP's. Entertainingly they are on the way out next week to repair their installation. I am not having a good feeling about this but at least they admitted the first time I called the problem was theirs.