Ralink wifi dongle

Jonnyc

Reaction score
Credits
System :- Linux Mint dual boot with Win 8.1.
Been using a Ralink wifi dongle which is ok in windows but hangs in Linux.
Have to plug/unplug or stop and restart the wifi connection on a pretty regular basis. Real thorn in my side!
Probably a compatibility issue. Does anyone know a fix for this? Or info on a sure-fire device that will work?
Thanks!

JC

Hi JC, and welcome to the site! Google shows MANY complaints of WiFi connections dropping out in Linux, and there are also MANY different solutions. If you want to explore troubleshooting your particular problem, it may take a fair amount of time to weed through various attempts until the correct fix is found. And we'd have to start with learning more about your system... which version of Mint, which desktop, what brand and model computer, etc And we'd have to get detailed information via the command line to find out exactly what Ralink dongle you have... not just the model you may see printed on it, but how Linux sees it when it's plugged in. Many of these devices use chipsets from other manufacturers, so Linux may see it as something other than Ralink. You might get lucky and solve it quickly, or it may be a long tedious process in which several of us on here will try to assist you.

Or, as an alternative you also asked.... is there a "sure-fire device that will work?" I cannot promise that you will get the same results as me, but I have purchased this dongle, TP-Link TL-WN722N in small batches (3 or 4 at a time) on several occasions so that I always have one as a spare while I give the others away to friends with similar problems with Linux WiFi. This has worked extremely reliably with Linux on many different computers. It's a little bit large and clunky, but the extra antenna size gives it far better range, and poor range can be just one of the many causes of your problem. So again, I can't promise you the same results, but this has been my go-to dongle for quite awhile.

Also note that I recommend the TL-WN722N model ONLY! This has been basically plug-and-play for me with Linux, but others have told me that Windows may need to search out an updated driver (a Windows driver disk is included, so I don't know why it may not work). I don't use Windows enough to make a judgment on this. The link above shows other more modern versions of this dongle.... and I do not recommend them. I've tried the AC600 model and I won't buy another.... not for Linux.

So, if you want to troubleshoot... let us know some of the initial details I mentioned above, and then we'll come back with some command line queries for you to dig a little deeper.

Cheers

Hi JC, and welcome to the site! Google shows MANY complaints of WiFi connections dropping out in Linux, and there are also MANY different solutions. If you want to explore troubleshooting your particular problem, it may take a fair amount of time to weed through various attempts until the correct fix is found. And we'd have to start with learning more about your system... which version of Mint, which desktop, what brand and model computer, etc And we'd have to get detailed information via the command line to find out exactly what Ralink dongle you have... not just the model you may see printed on it, but how Linux sees it when it's plugged in. Many of these devices use chipsets from other manufacturers, so Linux may see it as something other than Ralink. You might get lucky and solve it quickly, or it may be a long tedious process in which several of us on here will try to assist you.

Or, as an alternative you also asked.... is there a "sure-fire device that will work?" I cannot promise that you will get the same results as me, but I have purchased this dongle, TP-Link TL-WN722N in small batches (3 or 4 at a time) on several occasions so that I always have one as a spare while I give the others away to friends with similar problems with Linux WiFi. This has worked extremely reliably with Linux on many different computers. It's a little bit large and clunky, but the extra antenna size gives it far better range, and poor range can be just one of the many causes of your problem. So again, I can't promise you the same results, but this has been my go-to dongle for quite awhile.

Also note that I recommend the TL-WN722N model ONLY! This has been basically plug-and-play for me with Linux, but others have told me that Windows may need to search out an updated driver (a Windows driver disk is included, so I don't know why it may not work). I don't use Windows enough to make a judgment on this. The link above shows other more modern versions of this dongle.... and I do not recommend them. I've tried the AC600 model and I won't buy another.... not for Linux.

So, if you want to troubleshoot... let us know some of the initial details I mentioned above, and then we'll come back with some command line queries for you to dig a little deeper.

Cheers
Great! Always ready to try the quick fix first , and then, if that doesn't work try a bit of intellect! BUT..........I'm 75 yrs old and don't really want to start again in serious computer engineering. A quick helpful fix like this is all that's needed at the moment, and I thank you for that. I will respond, whether successful or not, for the benefit of others who may be in the same situation. TNX again. JC

OK, we would definitely appreciate a report on how this works for you too. Thanks! And good luck!

But if it doesn't, then we will sure try to help you figure it out. I've got some other dongles and I've been thinking of trying to make them work too... but then laziness and/or beer take over. :D:D:D

Cheers

OK, we would definitely appreciate a report on how this works for you too. Thanks! And good luck!

But if it doesn't, then we will sure try to help you figure it out. I've got some other dongles and I've been thinking of trying to make them work too... but then laziness and/or beer take over. :D:D:D

Cheers
That I understand . You obviously talk my language!

That I understand . You obviously talk my language!
Hello again! Just checked on the net for the suggested dongle. € 20+ for two plus about €8+ delivery; = ~ €30 for two.
At that point my innate Scottish instincts kicked in and I thought it wise to check the last ones I'd bought. And , lo and behold the damn thing worked perfectly!
Although it didn't before. That's why I bought the Ralink. However let's not celebrate prematurely.I will test it thoroughly in the coming days and see if it continues to perform.
Then I will report back with the name and model number etc. Looking at the results so far however, it seems very encouraging. Saved €30 as well!!!!

Update:- the other dongle ( Wise Tiger ) soon started to give problems. Tried to install the Linux driver but got " this is not a Debian driver" (or suchlike).
So I went back to the Ralink in the meantime. Lo and behold, it has worked flawlessly ever since and, worryingly, I have no idea why!
Anyway I'm going to buy beer with the €30!

Obviously Providence intended for us to drink beer. If not, they would not have given us pubs.

Nice one, @Jonnyc . Oops, it's beer o'clock, gotta go.

Chris Turner
wizardfromoz

Update. (If anyone's still reading).
Now more than two months and this Ralink has performed perfectly. Maybe a driver update in the Linux repository ?...........or can modern tech sense the bin looming?!
Anyway, just to satisfy my curiosity I'm going to try the Wise Tiger dongle again to see if it was maybe a bug fix in Linux of something that affected a LOT of dongles.
If I find anything I'll post again. If not I'll just fade back into the obscuity whence I came, thanking you all for your responses.

Cheers !

JC.

G'day JC and that's a big Like :). Thanks for sharing. And updating us, we get too few of that.

Stan (@atanere ) is on a sort of Sabbatical at the moment, but I know he would be appreciative, and he probably views what's happening without logging in, so if you think you have heard a Homer-style burp in your head, that will be him :D

Enjoy your Linux.

Wizard