Question about partitioning SDD after OS is installed

I'll pick up and run with this one.

Jeffrey, this would be a good time to start labelling partitions, in particular your / partition, with the name of the Distro, do it in Jeffrey-friendly terms eg LM19-Cinn

Note I say label, not Name.

Note what Capta (@CptCharis ) said here, at #2 https://www.linux.org/threads/quest...g-sdd-after-os-is-installed.19701/#post-58426 ... which said, in part

... my highlighting.

When I suggested your setting up a Timeshift partition and a Data partition on your hard drive, /dev/sda, and labelling them, you set up the partitions and named them.

No harm, but not as useful.

The labelling field does not allow as many characters as the name partition field, it might be 14 - 16, but a bonus is that that label then appears in your File Managers, and it makes it easier for us to read which Distros are which, with their /'s.

Example from my Caja FM under Ubuntu 18.04.1 'Bionic Beaver' MATE:

COEep7u.png

SCREENSHOT 1 - MY CAJA VIEW LEFT-HAND PANE

Note straight away how easy (for me) it makes to see what Distros I gave on, and with abbreviations such as HDD, SSD, and WD for the Western Digital My Book ... where they are :)

For the entries that say Ex-Adata-1 and 2wayAdataDocs, yours might read DATA.

For the ones that read 21GB volume, I often use "DistroReady", meaning I will install one there, and it will be the Distro's /

The 2 x Timeshift is simply indicative of my first setting up a 100 GB space on the HDD /dev/sda, before then setting up a 400 GB one on the WD external. One will be migrated to the other, perhaps.
em
If you could go ahead and do that with both your /dev/sda and /dev/sdb, it would help you and us.

All of this comes via GParted, and you will see the extra fields generated as you perform the operation.

Wizard

As predicted, attempting to install a 2nd distro on laptop #1 has resulted in a complete and total system failure :mad: I somehow managed to go from a 2 OS system to a system that I can't even get a base system installed and running! I haven't given up (well I have for tonight) but I am starting to wonder - how can I know if the problem isn't with the computer itself? Since I bought this laptop (new) I have struggled to get a working system in place - I thought it was the Nvidia card but now I am really starting wonder if it is one of the hard drives or something else? Any thoughts on how I could diagnose?

Hhmmm ... while I was sleeping :eek::eek::D

Was the attempt to resize MJRO being performed under GParted from a Live Medium or from Tara Cinnamon on /dev/sda?

Wiz

Hhmmm ... while I was sleeping :eek::eek::D

Was the attempt to resize MJRO being performed under GParted from a Live Medium or from Tara Cinnamon on /dev/sda?

Wiz
Haha, yes sometimes I am awake during normal daytime hours! I did it from LM (which I sense was the WRONG thing to do?)

Not at all.

Is the Manjaro working currently or bricked, which was on top of the leaderboard at the time and currently if that is different?

I am looking for you to get me a screenshot of /dev/sdb the SSD and for you to describe which way you were trying to resize and the figures involved.

Wiz

Actually.... nothing is working. When everything crashed on me I attempted to start from scratch and reinstall everything except the DATA and TIMESHIFT partitions on /dev/sda. So, I attempted to reinstall an OS to /dev/sdb (failed), attempted re - partition /dev/sdb and reinstall (failed), and then for some strange reason I tried to reinstall LM on /dev/sda and that just totally screwed everything! But I am wondering if there is something wrong with the laptop itself?

What I want to do now is to get the system back to a baseline. Would I be better off:
1. installing LM as the base system
2. installing the base system to /dev/sda or /dev/sdb?

That is a bit like asking "How long is a piece of string?"

16 GB RAM on an SSD will produce blindingly fast performance, but 16 GB on your HDD is not going to be a slouch, either.

If you were putting just two LM's on, I would place Cinnamon n the SSD because its DE consumes a little more resources, and The Little Mouse (Xfce) on the HDD because it will still get up and fly.

So when you are shopping for Distros to populate with, my rule of thumb would be a Google or DuckDuckGo using eg (always preface everything with linux to eliminate some false results)

"linux ubuntu 18.04 mate system requirements" and note the results.

Bear in mind too your 256 GB SSD may only have 231 GiB available. If, then, a Distro's specs say it works best with a minimum of 20GB space, then you can comfortably place 10 or so on an SSD provided that for each Distro when installing you simply allocate it a / root partition, no separate home (home will be on /). The install will find your EFI System Partition (ESP, that is your "boot"), and your Swap, if you use it. Also the preceding is provided that you store your generated data in say the DATA partition on /dev/sda - and in the brief part I read of that multibooting guide you accessed, the author corroborated that.

I would shrink that swap, from another drive's GParted, to no more than 4GB, you will not ever likely need more. For unmounting Swap, right-click and choose "swapoff", then resize. It will come back on when you reboot.

More to follow.

Wiz

BTW stick with the SSD, for now, as primary drive until you read more

Members online