Question about partitioning SDD after OS is installed

Good, well morning! I am sipping coffee as well but it's evening coffee here!
Ok, after reading your reply I am realizing that this is definitely a bigger project that I imagined - and I am up for it! So before I reinstall anything I will get you the terminal output you requested and I will start to read through the links that you provided (I am not sure how my time will be tonight as the natives are restless this evening!)
Code:
[jlap4@jlap4-vbp-gn ~]$ inxi -Fxs
System:
  Host: jlap4-vbp-gn Kernel: 4.18.7-1-MANJARO x86_64 bits: 64 compiler: gcc
  v: 8.2.1 Desktop: Gnome 3.28.3 Distro: Manjaro Linux
Machine:
  Type: Laptop System: ASUSTeK product: X705UDR v: 1.0
  serial: <root required>
  Mobo: ASUSTeK model: X705UDR v: 1.0 serial: <root required>
  UEFI: American Megatrends v: X705UDR.306 date: 11/27/2017
Battery:
  ID-1: BAT0 charge: 39.4 Wh condition: 39.4/42.1 Wh (94%)
  model: ASUSTeK ASUS Battery status: Not charging
CPU:
  Topology: Quad Core model: Intel Core i7-8550U bits: 64 type: MT MCP
  arch: Kaby Lake rev: A L2 cache: 8192 KiB
  flags: lm nx pae sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx bogomips: 31880
  Speed: 1400 MHz min/max: 400/4000 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 1383 2: 1359
  3: 1375 4: 1167 5: 1395 6: 1311 7: 1265 8: 1176
Graphics:
  Device-1: Intel UHD Graphics 620 driver: i915 v: kernel bus ID: 00:02.0
  Device-2: NVIDIA GP107M [GeForce GTX 1050 Mobile] driver: N/A
  bus ID: 01:00.0
  Display: x11 server: N/A driver: N/A resolution: <xdpyinfo missing>
  OpenGL: renderer: Mesa DRI Intel UHD Graphics 620 (Kabylake GT2)
  v: 4.5 Mesa 18.1.8 direct render: Yes
Audio:
  Device-1: Intel Sunrise Point-LP HD Audio driver: snd_hda_intel v: kernel
  bus ID: 00:1f.3
  Sound Server: ALSA v: k4.18.7-1-MANJARO
Network:
  Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet
  driver: r8168 v: 8.045.08-NAPI port: d000 bus ID: 02:00
  IF: enp2s0 state: down mac: 4c:ed:fb:01:fa:f1
  Device-2: Realtek RTL8822BE 802.11a/b/g/n/ac WiFi adapter driver: r8822be
  v: kernel port: c000 bus ID: 03:00
  IF: wlp3s0 state: up mac: 80:c5:f2:05:e9:31
Drives:
  Local Storage: total: 1.14 TiB used: 31.06 GiB (2.7%)
  ID-1: /dev/sda vendor: Seagate model: ST1000LM035-1RK172 size: 931.51 GiB
  ID-2: /dev/sdb vendor: Micron model: 1100 MTFDDAV256TBN size: 238.47 GiB
Partition:
  ID-1: / size: 216.59 GiB used: 31.06 GiB (14.3%) fs: ext4 dev: /dev/sdb2
  ID-2: swap-1 size: 17.11 GiB used: 0 KiB (0.0%) fs: swap dev: /dev/sdb3
Sensors:
  System Temperatures: cpu: 36.0 C mobo: N/A
  Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A
Info:
  Processes: 271 Uptime: 18m Memory: 15.55 GiB used: 1.78 GiB (11.4%)
  Init: systemd Compilers: gcc: 8.2.1 Shell: bash v: 4.4.23 inxi: 3.0.21

and

Code:
[jlap4@jlap4-vbp-gn ~]$ sudo fdisk -l
[sudo] password for jlap4:
Disk /dev/sda: 931.5 GiB, 1000204886016 bytes, 1953525168 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0xe761f17f

Device     Boot Start        End    Sectors   Size Id Type
/dev/sda1        2048 1953523711 1953521664 931.5G 83 Linux

Disk /dev/sdb: 238.5 GiB, 256060514304 bytes, 500118192 sectors
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: gpt
Disk identifier: 5505A335-5356-4E1F-9D0D-339CC756AD8D

Device         Start       End   Sectors   Size Type
/dev/sdb1       4097    618497    614401   300M EFI System
/dev/sdb2     618498 464223331 463604834 221.1G Linux filesystem
/dev/sdb3  464223332 500103449  35880118  17.1G Linux swap

This is the data from my main laptop (this is the one that I plan to do a reinstall on but am holding off at the moment)

Thank you as always!

"Looking good, Billy Ray." "Feelin' good, Louis" - Dan Aykroyd to Eddie Murphy and back at him, end of "Trading Places" 1983.

This looks better all the time. The SSD is already how we want it, and that is GPT, good on the Micron people. Theoretically GPT is best situated for drives of larger than 2TB, in fact it is required. But you can use it on any drive, even a 16GB USB stick. You may get the odd warning eg "This drive seems a little small to be GPT" but it is non-fatal.

So if you get an external HDD that is 3TB or 4TB it either has to be in GPT or else MSDOS broken into separate partitions of less than 2TB.

Your HDD is in MSDOS, and that's all we need to change to GPT ... that is, if you want to?

Revisit what Capta (@CptCharis ) said at page 1, #2, and he said, in part

Back up your data before fiddling with partitions, just in case.
  1. You will need to boot from the live cd
  2. Open up gparted and choose to resize the current Linux partition
  3. Shrink it from the end
  4. Now that you have shrunk your partition, there will be some empty space at the end of the drive. Right click on it and pick format. Choose the filesystem and label for it
  5. Press edit > apply all operations

Always worth looking after Justin (just in case) :)

Capta also said

Use Gparted for modify your drives, but Gparted cannot modify mounted drives.
So you will have to open the live cd and do your edits from there.

1st part is true here, 2nd part is often the case, but does not apply here.

While I note that you had GParted with the #1 screenshot, if things have changed (Distros), you can just install it on your Manjaro KDE with

Code:
sudo apt-get -y install gparted

#or

sudo apt-get -y install gparted synaptic

... the latter for if you do not yet have Synaptic Package Manager onboard, you will use that with many Debian-based Distros. If it is already installed, it will tell you.

Your 1 TB HDD is empty, I believe, so it will be /dev/sda with no partitions.

Once you have GParted available, top right-hand side allows you to toggle between /dev/sda and /dev/sdb. If /dev/sda is empty, it may not be mounted (note the little padlocks on your /dev/sdb), if it is, right-click in the main pane, or on the graphical rperesntation of space uapportioned near the top, and choose unmount.

I would advocate, for now, and using that last link I provided at #20, on gparted, as a guide, that you, in GParted, got to Device - Create Partition Table, and when the little window pops up with msdos on it, change that to gpt and apply.

Now you have a 1TB HDD with GPT on it.

In further Posts, I will be advocating you install as little as just one Linux ... on /dev/sda. The rest on your SSD is fine, and they can take advantage of its fast speeds. By doing so, on the Linux you place on eg /dev/sda1 on the HDD, you can have GParted on it, and with a GParted on each drive, you can manipulate the other, no need for GParted Live or an install disk.

Back soon.

Wiz

"Looking good, Billy Ray." "Feelin' good, Louis" - Dan Aykroyd to Eddie Murphy and back at him, end of "Trading Places" 1983.

This looks better all the time. The SSD is already how we want it, and that is GPT, good on the Micron people. Theoretically GPT is best situated for drives of larger than 2TB, in fact it is required. But you can use it on any drive, even a 16GB USB stick. You may get the odd warning eg "This drive seems a little small to be GPT" but it is non-fatal.

So if you get an external HDD that is 3TB or 4TB it either has to be in GPT or else MSDOS broken into separate partitions of less than 2TB.

Your HDD is in MSDOS, and that's all we need to change to GPT ... that is, if you want to?

Revisit what Capta (@CptCharis ) said at page 1, #2, and he said, in part

Always worth looking after Justin (just in case) :)

Capta also said

1st part is true here, 2nd part is often the case, but does not apply here.

While I note that you had GParted with the #1 screenshot, if things have changed (Distros), you can just install it on your Manjaro KDE with

Code:
sudo apt-get -y install gparted

#or

sudo apt-get -y install gparted synaptic

... the latter for if you do not yet have Synaptic Package Manager onboard, you will use that with many Debian-based Distros. If it is already installed, it will tell you.

Your 1 TB HDD is empty, I believe, so it will be /dev/sda with no partitions.

Once you have GParted available, top right-hand side allows you to toggle between /dev/sda and /dev/sdb. If /dev/sda is empty, it may not be mounted (note the little padlocks on your /dev/sdb), if it is, right-click in the main pane, or on the graphical rperesntation of space uapportioned near the top, and choose unmount.

I would advocate, for now, and using that last link I provided at #20, on gparted, as a guide, that you, in GParted, got to Device - Create Partition Table, and when the little window pops up with msdos on it, change that to gpt and apply.

Now you have a 1TB HDD with GPT on it.

In further Posts, I will be advocating you install as little as just one Linux ... on /dev/sda. The rest on your SSD is fine, and they can take advantage of its fast speeds. By doing so, on the Linux you place on eg /dev/sda1 on the HDD, you can have GParted on it, and with a GParted on each drive, you can manipulate the other, no need for GParted Live or an install disk.

Back soon.

Wiz
I have GParted installed on the laptop with the 256 SSD (in order to prevent confusion since I keep bouncing between laptops as far as my questions are concerned let's call the 256 SSD laptop #1 and the 128 SSD laptop #2).

I want to concentrate on laptop #1 first then I will worry and #2 since #2 is now my backup machine.

On #1 I haven't saved anything of significance to it as I anticipated having to reinstall the OS, all important files are floating in a cloud at the moment. I want to go with your recommendations and format all of my drives in GPT. Here are my current questions:
1. Do you recommend that I start from a fresh install?
2. Which distro will be best to install 1st? Manjaro or something different?
3. For a fresh install on a 256 BG SSD that I want to use as a multiboot drive how do you recommend I partition it at installation? Should I do the partitioning with GParted at the time of installation or use the installer to handle the partition table?

My apologies if you addressed any of these and I missed it!

OK Mr Lapinski, you know you can seriously confuse me with the two lappies, and I've hit beer o'clock after finishing the mower (and thanks for the thoughts :)).

So we are focused on #1, and I would suggest that when we get to #2, start a new Thread so The Viewers don't get confused :p

#1 has a 256GB Micron SSD, and a 1TB Seagate HDD. It has 16GB RAM. The SSD is already formatted to GPT standard, and the computer is UEFI, not BIOS.

The Seagate HDD is currently MSDOS but we are looking to format it to GPT standard to get the maximum value and compatibility out of the combined system.

The SSD currently has a working version of Manjaro and the setup looks as in #1 (The Post, not the laptop) from this Thread, on page 1:

ZSHqmKH.png

SCREENSHOT 1 - THE OP'S SETUP ON HIS SOLID STATE DRIVE, INITIALLY

For the benefit of The Viewers here, a plain install of Manjaro, depending on the DE (Desktop Environment) used, might take 7 - 10GB space, then updates may have been run, but a sizeable chunk of the difference between 7 - 10 plus updates and the 18.96GB shown as used is likely formatting for a 221.06GiB partition. This "overhead" can be reduced with experience, by establishing a smaller partition for your install, eg 30 - 40 GiB. We can talk about that elsewhere.

The absence of a separate Home partition means that the OP is using /home , a folder contained within his small r root partition where his OS resides, that is /dev/sdb2.

The /dev/sdb1 300 MiB is his EFI System Partition or ESP, where EFI is in turn yet another acronym for Extensible Firmware Interface. Bottom line is it is his "boot" partition, hence boot, esp as flags. It also means his system is UEFI as opposed to BIOS.

The Swap of 17.11 GiB is way larger than necessary, as I have mentioned, but there are self-proclaimed pundits out there who still maintain that you should have a Swap equal to twice your RAM. The OP has 16 GB RAM, so it does not seem so excessive under that precept, but the precept is obsolete and dates back to when 2GB was a standard RAM. 2GB RAM, 4 GB Swap.

If the OP wants to try this out now or later, he can in GParted right-click /dev/sdb3, choose Swapoff (same as unmount for other partitions), then resize to eg 4,096 MiB (4 GiB) and apply changes. Doubt he will see any loss in performance.

Jeffrey with all of the above (summary) let me know if I have made an error, I would not be surprised :)

On #1 I haven't saved anything of significance to it as I anticipated having to reinstall the OS, all important files are floating in a cloud at the moment. I want to go with your recommendations and format all of my drives in GPT. Here are my current questions:
1. Do you recommend that I start from a fresh install?
2. Which distro will be best to install 1st? Manjaro or something different?
3. For a fresh install on a 256 BG SSD that I want to use as a multiboot drive how do you recommend I partition it at installation? Should I do the partitioning with GParted at the time of installation or use the installer to handle the partition table?

1. Yes, leave Manjaro to last. I would first off run GParted for setting up /dev/sda the Seagate 1 TB HDD. Then install on it a Linux Mint 19 'Tara' (choices are Cinnamon, MATE, or Xfce, they dropped KDE with the 19 series, leave the KDE for another Distro), or an Ubuntu 18.04.1 MATE, not the "desktop" which is GNOME but an incomplete GNOME. This will provide the GParted on both drives effect. Leave the Manjaro in place for now.
2. Covered with 1.
3. You can use either method, and fair question, but sometimes KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) is best, and so letting your Installer do the voodoo saves exercising the grey matter between your left ear and your right. Ubiquity is the Installer Ubuntu developed for Distros such as theirs, Linux Mint and other Debian-based derivatives, and all-in-all it does a good job. For the first one just choose "erase disk" and proceed.

If you put the first on your /dev/sda, with 16 GB RAM it will still run like greased lightning.

I would leave Solus out of the picture for now, I'll explain in more detail later. Remind me, and it dovetails in the CSM-Legacy Mode, and the size of your ESP.

Once you have installed one of the two suggested on /dev/sda, and it works OK, we'll Timeshift a snapshot and save it on /dev/sda where there is most space, and then gravitate towards /dev/sdb, and install the other. Bear in mind that once you are up and running, you can always ditch either or both of these Distros if they do not appeal.

Cheers for now

(Wordy) Wizard

As a BTW to the above - the suggestion of the Bionic Beaver (MATE in this instance) and LM Tara any DE for each of the drives is because they have very current GParted's.

Debian itself, and Kali (rocket science) and likely Parrot (ditto) are also on that train.

There is a package bundle called e2fsprogs which features a number of commands underlying operations in GParted which will prohibit you from performing certain functions (such as partitioning labelling as Capta has mentioned) under certain multibooting scenario, with an error "cannot find superblock", and abort. Using a newer version of GParted fixes this.

Some of the e2fsprog packages date back to 2014 and 2015 and they cause the problem. This includes Ubuntu 16.04 and early Linux Mint 18. So I, in my environment, do all of my GParted work with the latest. No older than 18 months or so, and you are right. :)

Wiz

OK Mr Lapinski, you know you can seriously confuse me with the two lappies, and I've hit beer o'clock after finishing the mower (and thanks for the thoughts :)).

So we are focused on #1, and I would suggest that when we get to #2, start a new Thread so The Viewers don't get confused :p

#1 has a 256GB Micron SSD, and a 1TB Seagate HDD. It has 16GB RAM. The SSD is already formatted to GPT standard, and the computer is UEFI, not BIOS.

The Seagate HDD is currently MSDOS but we are looking to format it to GPT standard to get the maximum value and compatibility out of the combined system.

The SSD currently has a working version of Manjaro and the setup looks as in #1 (The Post, not the laptop) from this Thread, on page 1:

ZSHqmKH.png

SCREENSHOT 1 - THE OP'S SETUP ON HIS SOLID STATE DRIVE, INITIALLY

For the benefit of The Viewers here, a plain install of Manjaro, depending on the DE (Desktop Environment) used, might take 7 - 10GB space, then updates may have been run, but a sizeable chunk of the difference between 7 - 10 plus updates and the 18.96GB shown as used is likely formatting for a 221.06GiB partition. This "overhead" can be reduced with experience, by establishing a smaller partition for your install, eg 30 - 40 GiB. We can talk about that elsewhere.

The absence of a separate Home partition means that the OP is using /home , a folder contained within his small r root partition where his OS resides, that is /dev/sdb2.

The /dev/sdb1 300 MiB is his EFI System Partition or ESP, where EFI is in turn yet another acronym for Extensible Firmware Interface. Bottom line is it is his "boot" partition, hence boot, esp as flags. It also means his system is UEFI as opposed to BIOS.

The Swap of 17.11 GiB is way larger than necessary, as I have mentioned, but there are self-proclaimed pundits out there who still maintain that you should have a Swap equal to twice your RAM. The OP has 16 GB RAM, so it does not seem so excessive under that precept, but the precept is obsolete and dates back to when 2GB was a standard RAM. 2GB RAM, 4 GB Swap.

If the OP wants to try this out now or later, he can in GParted right-click /dev/sdb3, choose Swapoff (same as unmount for other partitions), then resize to eg 4,096 MiB (4 GiB) and apply changes. Doubt he will see any loss in performance.

Jeffrey with all of the above (summary) let me know if I have made an error, I would not be surprised :)

1. Yes, leave Manjaro to last. I would first off run GParted for setting up /dev/sda the Seagate 1 TB HDD. Then install on it a Linux Mint 19 'Tara' (choices are Cinnamon, MATE, or Xfce, they dropped KDE with the 19 series, leave the KDE for another Distro), or an Ubuntu 18.04.1 MATE, not the "desktop" which is GNOME but an incomplete GNOME. This will provide the GParted on both drives effect. Leave the Manjaro in place for now.
2. Covered with 1.
3. You can use either method, and fair question, but sometimes KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) is best, and so letting your Installer do the voodoo saves exercising the grey matter between your left ear and your right. Ubiquity is the Installer Ubuntu developed for Distros such as theirs, Linux Mint and other Debian-based derivatives, and all-in-all it does a good job. For the first one just choose "erase disk" and proceed.

If you put the first on your /dev/sda, with 16 GB RAM it will still run like greased lightning.

I would leave Solus out of the picture for now, I'll explain in more detail later. Remind me, and it dovetails in the CSM-Legacy Mode, and the size of your ESP.

Once you have installed one of the two suggested on /dev/sda, and it works OK, we'll Timeshift a snapshot and save it on /dev/sda where there is most space, and then gravitate towards /dev/sdb, and install the other. Bear in mind that once you are up and running, you can always ditch either or both of these Distros if they do not appeal.

Cheers for now

(Wordy) Wizard
:confused:
Whoa... OK I "think" I am following you but before I do anything I will run it by you. One of the biggest reasons I didn't keep the LM installation when I first went this route was battery life, it was draining the battery rapidly whereas Manjaro hasn't been (but I can deal with it). Please let me know if these steps are correct.
1. Fresh install with LM (cinnamon, MATE, or xfce) or Ubuntu 18.04 (only MATE?) on the hdd after formatting to GPT
2. Leave Manjaro alone right now
3. The recommended distros are for the most up to date Gparted
(Edited)

Last edited:
As a BTW to the above - the suggestion of the Bionic Beaver (MATE in this instance) and LM Tara any DE for each of the drives is because they have very current GParted's.

Debian itself, and Kali (rocket science) and likely Parrot (ditto) are also on that train.

There is a package bundle called e2fsprogs which features a number of commands underlying operations in GParted which will prohibit you from performing certain functions (such as partitioning labelling as Capta has mentioned) under certain multibooting scenario, with an error "cannot find superblock", and abort. Using a newer version of GParted fixes this.

Some of the e2fsprog packages date back to 2014 and 2015 and they cause the problem. This includes Ubuntu 16.04 and early Linux Mint 18. So I, in my environment, do all of my GParted work with the latest. No older than 18 months or so, and you are right. :)

Wiz
one more question... what is the reason I shouldn't use the standard Ubuntu 18.04 w/ GNOME for the initial install? - disregard this question, I am following fully now!

Last edited:

Wiz
Ok... strike the last set of questions, after reading your post again, I think I am following you!
I will load one of the suggested distros on to /dev/sda and will leave everything else untouched!

Mate have to leave for the evening following my next brief Post. If LM Cinnamon was a battery hog, try Xfce, I call it the little mouse, and it is quite interesting.

Wiz

Heads up - Capta (@CptCharis ) is already following this Thread and contributing.

Also @oldgranola and @Kozmo IGM Kliegl - all interested in Manjaro and Arch-based Distros.

Where we are leading will include seeing a Manjaro installed, but other Arch-based Distros I won't list here suffer the same fate of not wanting to share with another Linux.

Won't happen if you are just dual-booting with the Windozer, but triple-booting, or two Arch-based without any Windows ... will.

I will detail a workaround for this.

Cheers

Wizard

Heads up - Capta (@CptCharis ) is already following this Thread and contributing.

Also @oldgranola and @Kozmo IGM Kliegl - all interested in Manjaro and Arch-based Distros.

Where we are leading will include seeing a Manjaro installed, but other Arch-based Distros I won't list here suffer the same fate of not wanting to share with another Linux.

Won't happen if you are just dual-booting with the Windozer, but triple-booting, or two Arch-based without any Windows ... will.

I will detail a workaround for this.

Cheers

Wizard
OK /dev/sda has been formatted to GPT and I am planning to install LM (probably cinnamon since I know it will install on this machine) this evening.

Code:
[jlap4@jlap4-vbp-gn ~]$ sudo fdisk -l
[sudo] password for jlap4:
Disk /dev/sda: 931.5 GiB, 1000204886016 bytes, 1953525168 sectors
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 4096 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 4096 bytes / 4096 bytes
Disk identifier: 7DC62C3D-CD73-41F3-A313-AED556DFD5AF

Device     Start        End    Sectors   Size Type
/dev/sda1   2048 1953523711 1953521664 931.5G Linux filesystem

Disk /dev/sdb: 238.5 GiB, 256060514304 bytes, 500118192 sectors
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disk identifier: 5505A335-5356-4E1F-9D0D-339CC756AD8D

Device         Start       End   Sectors   Size Type
/dev/sdb1       4097    618497    614401   300M EFI System
/dev/sdb2     618498 464223331 463604834 221.1G Linux filesystem
/dev/sdb3  464223332 500103449  35880118  17.1G Linux swap

Mate have to leave for the evening following my next brief Post. If LM Cinnamon was a battery hog, try Xfce, I call it the little mouse, and it is quite interesting.

Wiz
Ok... that didn't work. I installed LM19 Cinnamon on /dev/sda, I allowed the installer to set the partitions. I get a grub menu with LM 19 and Manjaro as options for log in. LM19 brings me to the log in screen but will not log in and when I try to boot Manjaro I get a kernel panic error.

I am downloading GParted Live now...

I am downloading GParted Live now...

That's always handy to have anyway, but unlikely to be needed in this case.

Have a read of this article

https://linuxmint-installation-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/install.html

and focus on the part that involves the choice "Something else". At 5. Choose an installation type. ... it may say something about detecting your Manjaro.

The partitioning component in something else is similar to gparted. With it, you can create and manipulate partitions.

It will likely show your /dev/sda1 as being already occupied with Mint, you can choose that to make your / root (OS) partition, and go with 100 GiB as they suggest (102400 MiB), and choose to format the partition, that will clean off the previous Mint.

Ignore the stuff about encryption or LVM.

Unless told otherwise, the install will use the Swap on /dev/sdb3 for sharing Swap, and likewise the 300 MiB at /dev/sdb1 for your ESP.

At the bottom where it says Device for bootloader installation, it is showing as /dev/sdb, change it to /dev/sda (no number, just the drive).

See how you go.

Cheers

Wiz

That's always handy to have anyway, but unlikely to be needed in this case.

Have a read of this article

https://linuxmint-installation-guide.readthedocs.io/en/latest/install.html

and focus on the part that involves the choice "Something else". At 5. Choose an installation type. ... it may say something about detecting your Manjaro.

The partitioning component in something else is similar to gparted. With it, you can create and manipulate partitions.

It will likely show your /dev/sda1 as being already occupied with Mint, you can choose that to make your / root (OS) partition, and go with 100 GiB as they suggest (102400 MiB), and choose to format the partition, that will clean off the previous Mint.

Ignore the stuff about encryption or LVM.

Unless told otherwise, the install will use the Swap on /dev/sdb3 for sharing Swap, and likewise the 300 MiB at /dev/sdb1 for your ESP.

At the bottom where it says Device for bootloader installation, it is showing as /dev/sdb, change it to /dev/sda (no number, just the drive).

See how you go.

Cheers

Wiz
When I change the /dev/sda2 currently holding LM19, should I keep it ext4?

Yep.

What's on /dev/sda1?

It will not let me go past this screen. So I tried to further partition the drive and I get a strange error box full of "?" and a black circle with a white bar. I'm rebooting the live disk now

Members online