Pros and Cons: Linux under Paralles on M1 MBP vs. Linux on a non-Apple machine

amarokWPcom

Reaction score
Credits
Dear friends,
I want to start using Linux.

My hardware is a M1 MacBook Pro and I installed Kali under the actual Paralles version.

I become aware of the first „little“ problems… .Mac Keyboard (where are the special keys…@…|…\…)

I started thinking about investing money in a second notebook to run Linux natively on the hardware.
But before going on I would like to know WHAT are exactly the Pros and Cons of using Linux under parallels on the M1 MBP vs. using it natively and how big are their impacts.

Many thanks in advance for your Feedback and opinions.

first unless you are an experienced Linux user then you should not be using Kali, but a mainstream distribution which has more drivers built in and is easier to modify to your intended use
second the location of your keys will depend on your country and keyboard type which should be changeable in your settings
finally if you use the search facility with the keywords linux& macbook pro you will find many previous post

Bwiz

first unless you are an experienced Linux user then you should not be using Kali, but a mainstream distribution which has more drivers built in and is easier to modify to your intended use
second the location of your keys will depend on your country and keyboard type which should be changeable in your settings
finally if you use the search facility with the keywords linux& macbook pro you will find many previous post

Bwiz
Thanks for your answer.

I looked for a Linux distribution which is not to overloaded. I am working as Data Analyst (with Windows on a HP Elitebook, bc my big Aircraft company only supports Windows).

I want to use it mainly to learn it, to code (Python, R, JavaScript)… using VIM.

It has to be fast and not beautiful So I thought Kali or Arch could be better then Ubuntu

I want to use it mainly to learn it, to code (Python, R, JavaScript)… using VIM.
you can do that in any linux distribution
It has to be fast and not beautiful So I thought Kali or Arch could be better then Ubuntu
Arch would be better but a cut down debian base may suite better say Antix or Bunson labs, give a few of them a test run

But what about if the question comes on the hardware?

M1 Macbook Pro with Linux inside Parallels vs. "amd 64 Windows Machine"

But what about if the question comes on the hardware?
the more main line distributions usual have better hardware support out of the box, If you had the latest machine with the ryzen cpu/gpu then I would sugest you try MX-linux with AHS
Mac books cause their own specific problems, I sugest using the search facility using the words.."linux and macbook" and read of some of the woes and cures.

Members online