proprietary drivers

rickellis9983

Reaction score
Credits
Hello everyone please don’t mind me as I’m brand new to using Linux... I am Currently using them mint Tina distro, I thought that I had followed the installation instructions pretty well but obviously I don’t know wth I’m doing.. anyways after installing the os it is recommended to update the drivers but when I click on this option it tells me that there is no propriety drivers installed is this ok or is this an issue I need to investigate more throughly. Just a little info I’m using a old toshiba satellite laptop with amd sempron is 42x1 1.7GiB and it says a 4.15.0-54 generic kernel

G'day Rick, and welcome to linux.org

Is everything working ok on your laptop.....?

If your laptop is humming along with no obvious dramas.....then there is not need to worry/investigate.

If it isn't broken, dont fix it.

Which desktop environment did you choose ? ....cinnamon, mate, or xfce ?....and is this 32 bit or 64 bit ?

Thank you very much I was kinda thinking that as well, but me with my ocd if you will am like oh man it says to do this In the instructions but it’s not allowing me to do it lol. So I instantly feel like the whole thing is messed up. But I’m able to access the internet and stuff. I’m using cinnamon 32 bit right now.. I had also just noticed that a lot of the os seems to not be installed right well I think so any ways while trying to create a system back up image I noticed a lot and the fields coming back as error of some sort.. I’m sorry For sounding so dumb and not knowing all the lingo or what I’m really doing this is something I’m trying to learn on my own after having several security issues with the other side of my the fence,.,

What app/program are you using to make a backup ?

....and do you have an external hard drive to send the backup to ?.....or where are you intending to save the backup ?

Thank you very much I was kinda thinking that as well, but me with my ocd if you will am like oh man it says to do this In the instructions but it’s not allowing me to do it lol. So I instantly feel like the whole thing is messed up. But I’m able to access the internet and stuff. I’m using cinnamon 32 bit right now.. I had also just noticed that a lot of the os seems to not be installed right well I think so any ways while trying to create a system back up image I noticed a lot and the fields coming back as error of some sort.. I’m sorry For sounding so dumb and not knowing all the lingo or what I’m really doing this is something I’m trying to learn on my own after having several security issues with the other side of my the fence,.,
What app/program are you using to make a backup ?

....and do you have an external hard drive to send the backup to ?.....or where are you intending to save the backup ?
it says system snapshots I’m not sure if that’s the right name for it or not I’ll try to attach a picture hopefully it’s viewable

Attachments

• 196885F8-C517-4C11-A35B-1BBE762141FD.jpeg
    196885F8-C517-4C11-A35B-1BBE762141FD.jpeg
    69.2 KB · Views: 345
  • 86ED8451-85D7-474A-92D3-F224689338D9.jpeg
    86ED8451-85D7-474A-92D3-F224689338D9.jpeg
    100.6 KB · Views: 385
  • 535EDAF1-DE4F-4CFF-B00C-46758B4995A2.jpeg
    535EDAF1-DE4F-4CFF-B00C-46758B4995A2.jpeg
    106.6 KB · Views: 385
  • E1F10E54-843D-44B2-9F58-4DB09F73442B.jpeg
    E1F10E54-843D-44B2-9F58-4DB09F73442B.jpeg
    106 KB · Views: 379
ok, thats cool. You are using Timeshift.....the best thing to use.

1) It appears you have a 300gb hard drive....you have used 23 gb of it....which is approx 7% of the total drive.

2) I am assuming that you do not have an external hard drive that you can plug into a usb port ?

In the case of 1) the snapshots will be saved to your 300gb hard drive. Those snapshots can eventually take up a lot of room....so it would be a good idea to eventually buy an external hard drive that you can plug into your laptop via a usb port.

You can also give thought to how many snapshots you need to keep. If you are not going to be keeping any important data/pictures/documents on the laptop then you might consider just keeping the one snapshot.
Do not be afraid to experiment with Linux. If it "breaks" then you can simply restore the operating system from that Snapshot. Or in the worst case scenario, just reinstall it. It is Free after all.

I use Timeshift every day....any questions....just fire them at me. The screenshots you provided were very good...they help a lot.

If I cannot answer a question about any aspect...there are plenty of others here with plenty of knowledge.

[QUO TE="rickellis9983, post: 81097, member: 91074"]
[/QUOTE]

Thank you a lot I appreciate the help and guidance. I’m sure I’ll be on here a lot trying to get a better understanding of this what I already feel a million times better os than anyother I’ve used in the past..

Have you enabled the firewall ?

Which browser do you use ...firefox?

Actually that’s a good question I want to think I did but I think that I installed it after words thinking that I had done something wrong during the initial installation, and yes I’m currently using Firefox this browsers a little new to me as well... is there a different one that you would recommend or is this pretty much the Linux standard browser?

To enable the Firewall

Click on menu (bottom left hand corner of screen)

start typing ...terminal......then click on Terminal (or press ctrl alt T ..all at the same time)

a smallish 'window' will open

Then copy and paste what I have typed in below in red

sudo ufw enable

....then hit Enter
you will be prompted for your password....type it in.....(you will not see any response when you type).....just put the bpassword in, this normal....then hit Enter again

Thats it. Nothing else is necessary.
The firewall will now be turned ON each and every time you startup or reboot.

(If you feel the need to check if it is on.....
sudo ufw status (copy and paste in to Terminal).....will let you know that it is active. Thats it. leave it alone :)

You are now secure.

NO...you do not need an anti virus.

Your browser is ?

Have you updated your new Linux install.

There is a shield in the lower right hand corner and if there is a blue dot inside of the shield than there are updates that need to be installed.

Lack of updates could be the cause of certain apps not working or showing errors.
To install the updates just click on the shield and follow the prompts.

How to update Linux Mint.

Members online